Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car did fine enough apart from the wipers, which either were not on when they should be or were on way too fast. We also got flashed a few times despite not using the high beams. Oh, and the reversing camera was constantly dirty.
The auto wipers being lacking is well documented but i haven't read many reports about the dipped beam.
The shape of the dipped beam on the Matrix lights is so bad i can't believe it's legal in the UK. The step up on the near side is too great so that you blind oncoming cars when going round left hand bends and shine into their mirrors when passing cars on dual carriageways and Motorways.
I have adjusted mine down a bit which is a faff as you cant tell what the beam will be like until after you have adjusted it.
Wish it was flat without the large step or better still Tesla enable the Matrix lights to actually work how they do on other cars fitted with them!

We haven't had a new car pic for a while so ....

Not quite brand new but straight from the detailers, RK Car Design in Rugby for Gtechniq CSL + EXO ceramic coating.

Numberplates are stick on (front and rear) from onestopnumberplates.co.uk

IMG_0459.JPG

Heading towards 1k miles.

We have done a few short family trips with the LRMY now. Car is great. Family comfortable. Slightly firm ride is no issue. My boy often got travel sick in the XC90 but not in the LRMY. Mostly driving in chill mode and hold which works fine. Autopilot, lane change and assist is not perfect but does the job. Phantom breaking has happened but it was not dramatic.

Although I do not use it much, autoparking works well as long as there are proper markings, but even without, parallel parking is close enough and you can manually adjust.

Windscreen wiper needs a software update but that was expected. Ones I properly read the instructions I managed to attach the tow bar but have not used it yet.

Home charging works well. I was surprised how much charge is lost when sentry mode is on all night. With all gadgets off the car loses about 1% a day charge.

Foggy tail light sorted itself out and did not happen again. Booked a mobile service because the motor makes a high pitch buzzing sound when accelerating hard upwards of 30mph in standard mode. Apparently normal. Given the power that is generated it is probably correct.

Next frontier is connecting the game controllers.

All in all happy with the car.

Are the USB C ports in the back and centre console meant to deliver power (I know they don’t do data without a module). I was trying to power a couple of iPads via some C to A adaptors and got no power. Don’t know if it’s the ports or the adaptors. If the ports are meant to have power will try with other cables and devices before raising a service request

We have done a few short family trips with the LRMY now. Car is great. Family comfortable. Slightly firm ride is no issue. My boy often got travel sick in the XC90 but not in the LRMY. Mostly driving in chill mode and hold which works fine. Autopilot, lane change and assist is not perfect but does the job. Phantom breaking has happened but it was not dramatic.

Although I do not use it much, autoparking works well as long as there are proper markings, but even without, parallel parking is close enough and you can manually adjust.

Windscreen wiper needs a software update but that was expected. Ones I properly read the instructions I managed to attach the tow bar but have not used it yet.

Home charging works well. I was surprised how much charge is lost when sentry mode is on all night. With all gadgets off the car loses about 1% a day charge.

Foggy tail light sorted itself out and did not happen again. Booked a mobile service because the motor makes a high pitch buzzing sound when accelerating hard upwards of 30mph in standard mode. Apparently normal. Given the power that is generated it is probably correct.

Thanks great news.

Sentry mode! Yes, very thirsty and quite a shock after not driving Lizzie for three days (if you can imagine such a situation). So far, thank goodness, all sentry mode events have been me walking around her to make sure she is remains unscathed.....(I now understand what SWMBO means by "Shedding a few pounds would not hurt you).

Now then.....SWMBO also says " If the purpose of sitting up half the night, watching over Lizzie, is to save electricity, would it not be sensible to switch Sentry Mode off".:rolleyes:

Great to hear, in the main, such positive feedback from Q3 Graduates. By the time Q4 is done and dusted (I mean carefully washed by the Delivery Team) I shall be quite the old hand but, I am sure, never complacent.

Reactions: DWINTER
Done about 1.3K miles since mid September some of which were long trips. In total average 275wh/mi. Overall very pleased with the MY and looking for every opportunity excuse to drive around. We seem to spend more time out and about after getting this car ☺️.

I did a few supercharging during the holiday and it was effortless and bizarrely enjoyable…charging in other public chargers is a bit of a logistical challenge especially when it is raining - wet type 2 cables etc…but still not a big deal…

I get “blocked” error messages on the pillar cameras very often and I am not sure if it is a design issue or not.

I actually like the auto beams and mine seem to be working Ok I guess.I agree with the comments earlier that they seem to be aiming a little too high though.

One issue I noticed is that when you swipe down any video app while in the Theatre mode and if the radio was on previously then I get a deafening sudden loud noise which scares the life out of us all every time…it also does it sometimes while transitioning from toy box or radio to the theatre apps as well. Does anyone have similar issue and if so any suggestions ie something to do with the settings or requires to be added onto my SC list?

Reactions: Daedalus
Further to add on to my public charging experience; on one occasion we couldn’t find a Shell Recharge Station (in South Devon with 16 chargers), even after checking with the locals including other EV drivers in the neighbourhood, despite it appearing on both Google Maps and other charging app with live availability info etc. It was really bizarre and disappointing as we had to change our trip plan accordingly for that day…In my opinion public charger points and stations should have better road signs etc especially when they are within industrial estates or in residential areas…

Yeah, I decided Sentry at home wasn't worth the vampiring. Took a bit of faffing setting the "Home" GPS to make use of the "not at home" toggle hough.

And randomly today's away-from-home charge showed up as Home in the Charge Stats (mobile app) - messing up my savings number, grr.

One issue I noticed is that when you swipe down any video app while in the Theatre mode and if the radio was on previously then I get a deafening sudden loud noise which scares the life out of us all every time…it also does it sometimes while transitioning from toy box or radio to the theatre apps as well. Does anyone have similar issue and if so any suggestions ie something to do with the settings or requires to be added onto my SC list?
I had something like this when trying to show off the Lightshow thing in the toybox.

I did notice what looked like a volume slider in the Lightshow app, but I haven't had a chance to properly look. I'm guessing there is a volume context somewhere set way too loud (perhaps by default).

Speaking of which.. in my old car you could adjust the volume context as it happened (e.g. as the sat nav is talking) like you do in the Tesla, but old car also had a screen that showed all the relative volumes (sat nav, phone, radio traffic etc.). I've not found an equivalent in the Tesla.

Reactions: Benotomy

Mr @DWINTER have named your Y?
Rebecca or maybe Max?🤔

Hah, same. Will come up with a name eventually.

Got back from 6 nights abroad this week, was also shocked with the battery drain from sentry mode each day. I also turned off IO after a few days incase that helped, and removed both Tesla widgets on iOS (I had one on the lock screen too showing battery). I turned them off but it made little difference; definitely sentry. I do have a ring doorbell and a camera pointing at the car so I may turn sentry off at home now (especially when I’m wfh).

For those interested, I made the following battery notes (approx 9am each day). My holiday was better than it sounds !
7-8% lost a day. I will add, my neighbour made use of our driveway and parked (for my liking, a bit too) near the Tesla and I had 10+ sentry events when I came back.

Wed start 80%
Thurs start 73%
Fri start 65% (turned off IO)
Sat start 53%
Sun start 50%
Mon start 44% (turned off iOS widgets)
Tues start 37% - arrived home 34% 7.30pm

I will also admit to missing the car a slightly worrying amount while away 😂

The Premium Connectivity trial has now expired.
I don’t think I can go back to life without it; what have you all done?

Also; is there no way the UK can buy an annual sub and make a slight saving like I believe you can in the US? (Likewise, no talk of a monthly sub option for Advanced AP here?).
Thanks

I managed to get over myself with sentry. I leave it on when parked in a shopping centre car park or the local Morrisons but not when I leave it in an airport or hotel for any number of days. I figured that to maximise the benefit each time I came back to it I would need to check it over thoroughly which I really can’t be arsed to do. As regards home, never turned on, nor at any place I work. I figured I never had it before so why start now🤷‍♂️
Saying that it’s currently in Stratford Parkway until Sunday and has plenty of charge so leaving it on as it’s a bit of a field🤣🤣
Always worrying about my baby