Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked my MY up on September 8th (auspicious day) and 1750 miles so far, time for a quick review.

Loving the EV lifestyle, never worrying about when I’m going to fill up. Loving the EV driving style and smoothness.

I really like how the Tesla is so simple to operate, walk up, get in, drive.

In many ways, the car reminds me of a Toyota in its utter simplicity and no frills approach (our other car is a Toyota) and the simple way it drives. My own cars prior to this have been a decade of BMWs and three years of Land Rovers.

The handling is great - not as enjoyable as the Land Rover but so much more capable and enjoyable than the BMW 440i in particular.

My biggest gripes would include the touchscreen - too many small icons, what a waste of all that screen real estate. The much smaller display in my old LR, running CarPlay, managed to be more informative and easier to use.

Don’t like parcel shelf which contrives just to get in the way, but I’m keeping it as I don’t need to hear the rear suspension any more than I do already.

The lack of technology and features is frustrating to an extent - but I knew 80% of that pre-purchase.

It doesn’t have half the appeal or sense of occasion that the Land Rover did, but I’d say that about pretty much every brand and model on the market. Again, knew that coming in.

Reasons for changing have stood up well (I wanted an EV and one with a big boot). Good car, well executed. If it doesn’t shake itself back to component parts I hope to keep it many many years - ultimately it will take the place of the Toyota as our second car.

@WKUK

Excellent!

MY LR Red/White/ 19". 29th June 2022 3,600miles. (not a daily driver though I find excuses)

No sign of the novelty wearing off. Looking forward to today's 100 mile run "up country" for a long weekend. I might as well have slept in the Y last night for all the sleep I got in bed.

What a car! I did not think one could feel like this after a life time of "enthusiastic" motoring.

First road trip. 600 miles. UK channel tunnel, France, Belgium, Netherlands into Germany.
Was cautions about the Satnav suggestions how far I could go between charging stops. Don't over think it. Superchargers can easily be selected on the fly. Many service stations had other suppliers chargers as safety net.

When I stopped with about 20% remaining charge it made little difference to have a 150 or 250kw charger since rate of charging dips quickly below 100kw anyway as the battery fills up.

Worth checking the Supercharger locations before you get there so you don't end up like me, at Tesla charging locations on a hotel car parks with no amenities.
Started selecting preferred next stop and plan b stop while charging.

Very easy drive but Autopilot is overly cautions about lane change and movement of the steering wheel. Stayed mostly in standard cruise control. Nice perk is that the speed automatically displays the mp/h equivalent of km/h.

Learned quickly that managing speed and acceleration makes a bigger difference than waiting until car is charged over 80%. Life energy use tracker was really helpful.

Good experience so far. Another 600m to go.

First road trip. 600 miles. UK channel tunnel, France, Belgium, Netherlands into Germany.
Was cautions about the Satnav suggestions how far I could go between charging stops. Don't over think it. Superchargers can easily be selected on the fly. Many service stations had other suppliers chargers as safety net.

When I stopped with about 20% remaining charge it made little difference to have a 150 or 250kw charger since rate of charging dips quickly below 100kw anyway as the battery fills up.

Worth checking the Supercharger locations before you get there so you don't end up like me, at Tesla charging locations on a hotel car parks with no amenities.
Started selecting preferred next stop and plan b stop while charging.

Very easy drive but Autopilot is overly cautions about lane change and movement of the steering wheel. Stayed mostly in standard cruise control. Nice perk is that the speed automatically displays the mp/h equivalent of km/h.

Learned quickly that managing speed and acceleration makes a bigger difference than waiting until car is charged over 80%. Life energy use tracker was really helpful.

Good experience so far. Another 600m to go.
Pre trip planning with "A Better Route Planner"can be fun.

How are you doing keeping the white model clean? That’s the model we’ve gone for!
The pearl white is amazing and looks flat when dirty as do the other colours. Got my first chip on the lower part of the front bumper and why on earth is the undercoat black on white cars. Between the rain and showers been adding paint protection film to the side sills, back bumper and after a bit more practice going to do the front bumper and bonnet. My neighbor mentioned the cars shape and wheel position encourages damage and he had his Model 3 resprayed under warranty. Will be adding the splash guards.

How are you doing keeping the white model clean? That’s the model we’ve gone for!
First and foremost............good qualtiy ceramic/nano paint/body treatment (worth every penny!) From then, for me anyway, quick spray over the whole car with a good TFR (traffic film remover) correctly diluted, allow to soak for, say a couple of minutes, pressure-wash off, towel off (or some do blow-dry) for nice and clean, easy! FYI, in the hotter months, I do a final rinse-over with DI (de-ironised) water and just leave to air-dry (no water spotting) 😉

First and foremost............good qualtiy ceramic/nano paint/body treatment (worth every penny!) From then, for me anyway, quick spray over the whole car with a good TFR (traffic film remover) correctly diluted, allow to soak for, say a couple of minutes, pressure-wash off, towel off (or some do blow-dry) for nice and clean, easy! FYI, in the hotter months, I do a final rinse-over with DI (de-ironised) water and just leave to air-dry (no water spotting) 😉
How much did the ceramic cost? And with it being a company car will it be a problem to do it?