Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And also - in the basic version, what level of driver aids should work? At the moment I can only seem to get active cruise control - no lane assist etc? If this correct or it is user error?
That is basic autopilot and should be available to you. You are pushing down twice on the drive stalk, yes?

What are peoples experience with range and removing the trims?

And also - in the basic version, what level of driver aids should work? At the moment I can only seem to get active cruise control - no lane assist etc? If this correct or it is user error?

Would love to ‘try‘ some of the more advanced driver aid stuff - its a shame you can’t add it on a subscription basis. Self-driving for the month that you have a long holiday drive for example would be great, but the full £3500+ is too much I think for what I would use it for
I thought FSD was available month by month? Maybe only in the US?

With the double glazed windows mentioned above; I noticed the front windows are proper double glazed but the rear windows for some reason are not, in a sense that they are kind of 1.5 x glazed- the inner layer is much thinner hence looking sideways you can see and feel the the level difference against the B pillar on both front and rear windows.

I picked my Model Y LR from Manchester on Friday afternoon. Been driving everywhere in it all weekend and taking people for a drive. First impressions have been great from myself and everyone that’s been it. Just got to get up to speed on the infotainment systems but nearly there.
EAF36A3E-C004-4C04-89DC-8CEB000BF376.jpeg

I'm collecting my MY next Tuesday from Bluewater, and I'm just trying to understand the whole 'checklist' process. From reading other posts on here, it seems to me that even if I find things wrong with the car, they won't be able to fix it there&then, and will just advise me to go home and book a service appointment using the app. Is this true? If so, is there any advantage to checking anything at all at Bluewater (except obvious safety things I will need to get home like the accelerator, brake and indicators work!)? Or shall I just wait til I get home and do a full inspection then? TIA

I'm collecting my MY next Tuesday from Bluewater, and I'm just trying to understand the whole 'checklist' process. From reading other posts on here, it seems to me that even if I find things wrong with the car, they won't be able to fix it there&then, and will just advise me to go home and book a service appointment using the app. Is this true? If so, is there any advantage to checking anything at all at Bluewater (except obvious safety things I will need to get home like the accelerator, brake and indicators work!)? Or shall I just wait til I get home and do a full inspection then? TIA
Hi Adam, short answer is No. Bluewater have not got any facilities to correct any issues. You need to log any issues in the app. See you Tuesday :)

Reactions: adambg
, is there any advantage to checking anything at all at Bluewater
The advantage is you can prove it was like that at delivery rather than something you did.
For example, damage to an alloy wheel when the car was in transit? Caused by Tesla and will be fixed for free no questions.
As opposed to them saying you could have driven into a kerb yourself.

So worth checking things like that. Of course if a motor fails on your way home, that’s a warranty item and couldn’t reasonably have been caused by you.

If so, is there any advantage to checking anything at all at Bluewater? Or shall I just wait til I get home and do a full inspection then? TIA

The advantage is you can prove it was like that at delivery rather than something you did.
They quoted me (typical deadlines I have heard going around) within 100 miles or 48 hours - so for some driving it home ~100 miles, it's easier to check at the place.

If you live nearby you could take it home and give it a full check there too!

In case you haven't yet found one, below is a good checklist (I used M3 version - only caveat is it's American-based).

Reactions: DWINTER and adambg
If you live nearby you could take it home and give it a full check there too!
Yes, but like I said, if there is any damage to the car and you identify it at collection it is irrefutable that it was like that when you received it and they will remediate it for free.

If you drive it home and check within 100 miles, they could say you caused any damage…
So worth checking those type of items - wheels/bodywork/interior etc at collection.

Edit: this is the link you want. It’s a workflow version of the the checklist and covers MY also:
It’s US biased but still covers everything.

After collecting it dirty, which was fine because they couldn’t guarantee they wouldn’t damage it when cleaning (although this shouldn't be the norm on a £60k car). I’ve completed a full machine cut and polish, to remove the oily fallout spots and hollograms. The result? Well, I can confirm that Tesla paint is at least as good as the BMW I had before. The results are stunning, other than 2 tiny drips (you really need to know what your looking for to find them), the quality of the paint is overall excellent. General fit and alignment inside and out is also excellent. It’s cleaned up beautifully.
5D1E3BB8-FAA9-4B39-947E-A1EA53B4EAC2.jpeg

First impressions after a few days and detailed inspection:
Positives 👍
- It’s big inside compared to cars with similar exterior dimensions. Storage/packaging is great.
- Phone charger! Simple but effective.
- Great audio system.
- Aircon and passenger comfort systems work well.
- I’m sold on the interior minimal approach, wasn’t sure at first, but it’s the future 😂
- It’s a great drive using one pedal and very quiet.
- Suspension is better than my X3 M, smoother and still sporting.
- Everything works as it should.
- Range looks to be in the 250-280miles per 100%.
- Voice command appears to be much better than others.
- Web browser.
- Supercharging is a seamless and fast experience.

Negatives/ must have for a car at this price 👎
- Auto wipers and High Beam are patchy. These are basics and is sort of inexcusable.
- Matrix headlights that aren’t fully implemented. I’m wondering if this, the wipers and headlights are all because they use the same cameras as the safety features and interfered.

More observation than negatives (wish list). Every manufacturer has their own querks.
- The turning circle is poor. Although I believe this is common to many EVs, not sure why?
- in terms of tec presented to the driver, its probably behind the competition in many areas and has been for some time. E.g. Google Nav is good but basic i.e. only just starting to offer alternative routes; no information provided on traffic incidents, traffic flow difficult to see (again just fixed), poor zooming, arrow too big obscuring road detail. Sat maps require premium.
- no information provided from radio (rds).
- Unable to re-order favourites on radio channel.
- Unable to save radio presets etc. to profile.
- autopilot and lane keeping is good but are little improved over the version I had on a Honda CRV 10 years ago.

- Auto wipers and High Beam are patchy. These are basics and is sort of inexcusable.
- Matrix headlights that aren’t fully implemented. I’m wondering if this, the wipers and headlights are all because they use the same cameras as the safety features and interfered.
They all use the same autopilot camera system yes, hence they've had to increase processing power in the car drastically, and you're right - this is probably what is holding up critical improvements in that area. It's not impossible there is a limitation with the cameras used that they're trying to work around. 🤷‍♂️

Incidentally - the Tesla Matrix lights are actually a Samsung PixCell LED product in a Tesla housing. It could be that they are having issues getting the Samsung board to play nicely with everything else that is "ground-up" Tesla, like the wiper system, the "Rain" neural net and the autopilot cameras.

Last edited:
All good for this morning’s collection!
I don’t really have any pics of mine, but it’s as you’d expect.
It was not cleaned, but considering the drive home and rain coming I’m really not too bothered about that. No scratches or scuffs, or misalignment.
Did 90% of the check list app, and all that’s left is to learn how to drive it :)
My wife has yet to have a go at all, so am slightly dreading that lol.

Still need to do some customisation too, menu shortcuts, switch from inches to mm, sign into Spotify etc.
There was a steady stream of more transporters coming in the whole time.
I did see one with a big cracked windscreen, and one family complaining of a scuffed bumper (which I could hear Tesla staff being most apologetic about and promising to fix).

Sorry that’s a bit of an unstructured post but am out to lunch now; wanted to just post a couple of comments and pics including the Pride car outside.

Attachments

• 246CC72D-118A-4B48-A691-AFA3B3A58C12.jpeg
    246CC72D-118A-4B48-A691-AFA3B3A58C12.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 0D3CCECF-08B1-42B9-9126-73D3F36560CA.jpeg
    0D3CCECF-08B1-42B9-9126-73D3F36560CA.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 4FEF589B-8F42-46D3-9772-52A111DF3D0F.jpeg
    4FEF589B-8F42-46D3-9772-52A111DF3D0F.jpeg
    861.2 KB · Views: 54
  • CE650D0F-C5FE-43B8-835B-DE02EDB0E224.jpeg
    CE650D0F-C5FE-43B8-835B-DE02EDB0E224.jpeg
    788.6 KB · Views: 62
Ok, to add to that, on collection;
6 miles on the clock
52% battery
Software v2022.15.103

I have my mats in now - looks like it’d work laying on top of the existing ones. Have people been doing that or removing? I’m not 100% happy with the fit, but they’re decent. Have tried without the Tesla ones underneath now, and fit seems about the same. Either way I’m glad to have some easy wash/ all weather ones as it gets muddy here (plus family are a messy bunch).

Next two days in particular will be spent doing lots of driving! Very happy end of first day :)

Well, today was the day, at last! It arrived with 50% SoC and 3 miles on the clock. Done a few miles in it since running errands and I bloody love it, WHAT a car! Kids and wife love it too.

No major issues, one headlight ever so slightly (2mm) off I’d say and a very small mark on the interior trim but I may be being fussy. I think the panel gaps all look ok, I think!

Makes the rollercoaster ride seem almost worth it :)

Just need the app to work now as either Tesla or the Lease co are being slow :(

3E57A3F7-756B-4942-8E0A-3A23CD6E43FE.jpeg
DC351D5E-B3A7-4593-A244-4CB7B50AD250.jpeg
D4853320-D29D-4997-96DF-AA5BAAB70747.jpeg
76B17CEC-386F-49E1-AF68-5E81103D68BE.jpeg
5712BC74-E5F7-4821-A058-307696F9A693.jpeg

Well, today was the day, at last! It arrived with 50% SoC and 3 miles on the clock. Done a few miles in it since running errands and I bloody love it, WHAT a car! Kids and wife love it too.

No major issues, one headlight ever so slightly (2mm) off I’d say and a very small mark on the interior trim but I may be being fussy. I think the panel gaps all look ok, I think!

Makes the rollercoaster ride seem almost worth it :)

Just need the app to work now as either Tesla or the Lease co are being slow :(

View attachment 855197View attachment 855198View attachment 855199View attachment 855200View attachment 855201
Black wheels with white looks really good on these, smart choice.

BCB15C25-4B4A-49DB-9EC1-EA8385389EE5.jpeg

289FF964-1591-49DC-8376-AA3596763CE0.png

Collected with 6 miles on the clock and already put 120 on the clock in one day!

Similar great experiences to those posted earlier. Here’s a phrase I bet nobody has used before: “I wish I’d taken more photos of Staines.” A lot of MY’s at the start of the day.

No complaints, no major issues. Just had to even out the bonnet by extending the stop on the left hand side 👍

Two pics because that red is something else in the flesh… #teamred

Picked my Tesla on Saturday 10th from Staines.

:) :) :) :)

- Collection experience
- Instant torque
- Space
- Sound system
- Tech
- Slight improvement in suspension :) ( I might be wrong :) but certainly different from the test drive)
- And a lot more :)

:(:mad: :confused:

- Wireless charging ( 13 mini)
- Auto wiper
- Auto beam on autopilot
- Phantom breaking (once)
- Navigation. Poor reading of speed limits
The negatives you mention I haven’t found to be a problem. I have an iPhone 13 mini and even with a fairly substantial case it will charge wirelessly, although I sometimes have to slide it around a bit to make a connection.
I was expecting issues with the auto wipers, full beam and speed limit recognition, but so far they have worked great.
Are you on the latest software?

Ok, to add to that, on collection;
6 miles on the clock
52% battery
Software v2022.15.103

I have my mats in now - looks like it’d work laying on top of the existing ones. Have people been doing that or removing? I’m not 100% happy with the fit, but they’re decent. Have tried without the Tesla ones underneath now, and fit seems about the same. Either way I’m glad to have some easy wash/ all weather ones as it gets muddy here (plus family are a messy bunch).

Next two days in particular will be spent doing lots of driving! Very happy end of first day :)

I just put them over the Tesla mats in the last MY and come sale time everything was clean and shiny underneath when I removed the overmats. Will do the same with the new one when pick it up on Friday 👍

Reactions: DWINTER and _Dave_
I was expecting issues with the auto wipers, full beam and speed limit recognition, but so far they have worked great.
I've had issues where the system saw the speed limit, displayed it on the screen, but Autodrive ignored it. Then again, I've done about 4 software updates in the last week so I'm losing track a bit. Went to 2022.28.2 last night and haven't taken it out today

Reactions: DWINTER