Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of Model X deliveries - March 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very happy with mine. So many improvements since 2013.

Much better headlights.
The sound system is tremendously improved (both systems were not upgraded systems). I'm loving it.
Road noise seems better than the X I test drive 6 months ago (though that's across 6 months of memory loss, I could be imagining the change).

100 battery rather large vs a 60. When charging reaches the point where the 60 was full, there are still 4 hours of charging to go! (On a 14-50).

I guess I'll post it here since the problem was actually at delivery, but I misunderstood it thinking the sounds I hear are rubber of the tires squealing on epoxy floor of the showroom.
In fact it's something deeper and something is not fully happy with steering mechanism of some sort I guess...
I should note at least two other cars that were delivered alongside mine had the same sound too.

I guess I'll post it here since the problem was actually at delivery, but I misunderstood it thinking the sounds I hear are rubber of the tires squealing on epoxy floor of the showroom.
In fact it's something deeper and something is not fully happy with steering mechanism of some sort I guess...
I should note at least two other cars that were delivered alongside mine had the same sound too.

Mine has the same noise I thought it was due to rubber tire on the floor but it's not. I've also notice a off and on vibration in the front driver side wheel. It happens about 40mph in a slight turn. It kind of sounds when you drive on the edge of a highway and hit the little mini speed bumps to alert your going off the road. It's not that loud but noticeable

Mine has the same noise I thought it was due to rubber tire on the floor but it's not. I've also notice a off and on vibration in the front driver side wheel. It happens about 40mph in a slight turn. It kind of sounds when you drive on the edge of a highway and hit the little mini speed bumps to alert your going off the road. It's not that loud but noticeable
I was told the sound is a semi-serious issue (pretty common too) that's worth letting the service center to know ASAP.
I have Apr 10 scheduled for other fixups anyway, so hope they'll look into this as well.

We picked up our X100D on 3/31. There were a few annoying quality issues, but overall we're overjoyed with the car.

We have 4 stuck pixels on the main display, which was a bit surprising. We're hoping to get it replaced.

There was an inch long hairline scratch on driver side FWD that was deep enough that they said they couldn't fix with touch up paint. They said it would need a body shop but that it would take weeks to get scheduled. We had our XPEL appointment the next day, and he's booked out a month, so we decided to just live with it and hopefully the XPEL masks it somewhat. Very annoying.

Part of the rear bumper where it mates to the aluminum body was unpainted. They fixed that with touch up paint.

A handful of clearcoat nubs which they fixed with a light sand.

Loose plastic chrome trim cover on one of the rear seats, which they reattached.

Driver window rubs when coming up, which we'll get fixed during our first service appointment.

Overall -- all things we could live with, but really wish we didn't have that scratch.

• Helpful
Reactions: DaddyP713 and Cowby
My father took delivery on the 24th, overall great delivery experience and the quality, fit, finish was near perfect...much better than my X. That said, he does have a couple of significant issues, one not related to delivery or what Tesla did in building the car:
  1. The driver's side self-presenting door, part of PUP, does not work. It works with key fob, but does not self present. Tesla Service Center tried to fix this, post-delivery, by trying to replace a sensor. That did not work and now they want to try replacing "the module" that the sensor uses. Part is on order and scheduled for future work at the Service Center...we'll see.
  2. My father had Tesla Service center install the High Amperage Charging post-delivery. They kept the car for two days to do this...he drove home (4 hours away...) only to find out it doesn't work or they didn't activate/install it correctly. The car still charges at 48A, but doesn't allow it to be increased even though he has a Wall Charger installed at his home w/ a 100A circuit. He also attempted to charge at a known destination charger, which has 80A circuit, and it still only goes up to 48A.

Seems like the Service Center staff/engineers don't know how to resolve issues or complete jobs like this on the first try...at least that's the impression we are getting.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby

Did you get a service appt for your wheel sound. I'm told it's normal if you hold the breaks and turn the wheel

Did you get a service appt for your wheel sound. I'm told it's normal if you hold the breaks and turn the wheel
My car is in service since last Monday, was supposed to be returned to me yesterday, but some of the parts that were ordered did not come in time, so new ETA is mid next week.
This is for almost everything on the due list, though (other than the seats - ordering seats takes a long time so they plan to order them and then once delivered, have another appointment to replace them).
I have no idea what items are they going to fix until I get the car back, though and what will they decide to postpone.

My due list is sad, though.
due_list.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Fromcgee
My car is in service since last Monday, was supposed to be returned to me yesterday, but some of the parts that were ordered did not come in time, so new ETA is mid next week.
This is for almost everything on the due list, though (other than the seats - ordering seats takes a long time so they plan to order them and then once delivered, have another appointment to replace them).
I have no idea what items are they going to fix until I get the car back, though and what will they decide to postpone.

My due list is sad, though.
View attachment 222929
I noticed it did not mention wheel noise on to do list. And most of those issues I did not have so I guess I was lucky. I live far from a service center so a ranger was sent out for me. He was very nice and able to fix most my issues on the spot. With your car in service did they offer a loaner

The wheel noise was added later, I did not notice it at the store (same for the ghosting that I also asked them to add and they did).
I gave them the video and they just added it into the list (there was a printed list of stuff to look into when they took my car in so I know it's there).
I live ~190 miles from service center.
They brought me a loaner on a trailer and took my car on that same trailer.
Unfortunately the loaner I got was Model S 85 (early vin in ~6000, made Feb 2013) - no autopilot, no parking sensors.
Then they replaced it with another model S 85 today (for unrelated reasons) that is a bit newer (vin ~26000) - this one has parking sensors, but still no autopilot, also no air suspension.
Overall they mostly have older model Ses as loaners it appears.
Anyway another thing is the air suspension in the loaner S I had at first is very silent where as the on on my car is making knocking sounds and is a bit jerkier, so that's another thing they are looking into now.

Unfortunately they don't have any X loaners at all, and my wife hates the S so I hope to get my car back sooner rather than later.
Once I'll get it I can let you know what is it they fixed the first go around and what was postponed/not found.

We are serviced by the same service center since Nashville TN one also services Kentucky, I guess.

The wheel noise was added later, I did not notice it at the store (same for the ghosting that I also asked them to add and they did).
I gave them the video and they just added it into the list (there was a printed list of stuff to look into when they took my car in so I know it's there).
Unfortunately the loaner I got was Model S 85 (early vin in ~6000, made Feb 2013) - no autopilot, no parking sensors.
Then they replaced it with another model S 85 today (for unrelated reasons) that is a bit newer (vin ~26000) - this one has parking sensors, but still no autopilot, also no air suspension.
Anyway another thing is the air suspension in the loaner S I had at first is very silent where as the on on my car is making knocking sounds and is a bit jerkier, so that's another thing they are looking into now.

Unfortunately they don't have any X loaners at all, and my wife hates the S so I hope to get my car back sooner rather than later.
Once I'll get it I can let you know what is it they fixed the first go around and what was postponed/not found.

We are serviced by the same service center since Nashville TN one also services Kentucky, I guess.
Ok I hope they get it fixed also and I live far enough north my service center is cincy Ohio
The noise does not bug me but if it's s issue they should be fixed and can be fixed I think it should be. And yea after having a nice new model x it would suck having a old model s

Did they get your car fixed and could they fix the wheel noise

Did they get your car fixed and could they fix the wheel noise
They are supposedly going to deliver it back to me tomorrow. They claim they they fixed everything but the seats (on order, ETA 8-12 weeks) and windshield (on order, ETA unknown), they were not able to locate the scratch on the rear window so I guess that's going to be one more item once I show them.
As for the the wheel noise going away - hopefully I'll know for sure tomorrow too ;)