Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of Model X deliveries - March 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they get your car fixed and could they fix the wheel noise
So... They marked it as "could not reproduce" and did not fix. I tried it again and I guess it does only happen when I press the brake pedal, so should be expected in those conditions.

Anyway overall quality of service is pretty low. Of the trim that needed realignment perhaps less than a third was, they replaced one trim piece for some reason and managed to scratch the door just near where it attaches.
The driver side glass raising mechanism is still squeaking.

Also people mention service centers washing their cars? Not in TN, apparently.

On the positive side, AC in driver side B pillar now works ok, "a/c duct work not connected properly" was the comment.
Passenger side window is now silent in operation, so there's hope for the driver side next time they take it in.

Surprisingly also listed as replaced: "cabin air filter, wiper blades fob battery" - on a 1.5 weeks old car?
Also alignment was performed because it was needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: DaddyP713
I wanted to quick note the Denver SC was great with making the corrections on my delivery items in late March. FWD's are perfectly aligned now along with trim and no more FWD opening groan. Minor front seat creasing that the SC let me know they are ordering new seats (which wasn't asked for or expected).
18156018_1140939746017629_9093207986061718689_o.jpg

Reactions: mtndrew1
Is there any guideline as to how much door misalignment is too much? Or how much the misalignment might be responsible for wind noise versus a bad door seal?

I have at most 2mm misalignment between the driver side front door and the left FWD; the FWD sticks out more than the front door by this amount. This is on a vehicle delivered in March 2017.

I can hear wind noise while driving in a lot of conditions on the highway. Don't know if it's normal. I do have to raise the volume of the stock sound system from about 3-4 on local driving to 4-6ish on the highway, in order to hear music clearly.

I wanted to quick note the Denver SC was great with making the corrections on my delivery items in late March. FWD's are perfectly aligned now along with trim and no more FWD opening groan. Minor front seat creasing that the SC let me know they are ordering new seats (which wasn't asked for or expected).
View attachment 224986

Your front window tint looks crazy dark in the picture. What's the legal limit in Colorado?

Or is it just a trick of the light?

Reactions: Mike M
Part of it is trick of light @DaddyP713, its only 30, while the rears are 20 (what comes on the X from the factory). Legal limit I believe is technically 50, but as our detailer said, he's never heard of anyone being pulled over or cited for tinting, even the cars he does at 15 and 20 on the fronts. Colorado goes pretty easy on that. Plus its not a moving violation, it would simply be an equipment issue with just a fine, so I'm less worried about it.

I like the 30, it looks pretty close from the outside where you can't tell that much difference from the 20 on the rears unless you are looking straight on. Plus its not to bad inside looking out, even at night.

Reactions: DaddyP713
I'm curious why the delivery centers themselves aren't using the checklist mentioned in this thread. Has anyone asked them why the cars are not being inspected for problems and why they are relying on customers to point out issues? Wondering what they said as the reason.

Reactions: boaterva
I'm curious why the delivery centers themselves aren't using the checklist mentioned in this thread. Has anyone asked them why the cars are not being inspected for problems and why they are relying on customers to point out issues? Wondering what they said as the reason.
The girl that worked with me looked like a new hire and the existence of the checklist was a revelation to her (or she is a good actor).
She asked for a copy (common across DSes I hear), but I doubt anything would come out of it since mostly it's the service people that are working on things and they are so overworked they cannot even fix things you point them at.

The girl that worked with me looked like a new hire and the existence of the checklist was a revelation to her (or she is a good actor).
She asked for a copy (common across DSes I hear), but I doubt anything would come out of it since mostly it's the service people that are working on things and they are so overworked they cannot even fix things you point them at.

I guess my question isn't really why they don't use the TMC checklist but rather don't have their own quality controls looking for these types of things in the factory and at the delivery center. I'm truly shocked by reading the experiences in this thread after hearing that model X quality issues had been resolved.

Regardless, I'm glad I read through. I think it has tempered my expectations of my future 3 knowing in advance the quality department is lacking (or being overruled by operations) at Tesla. Knowing to expect this will also help reduce my disappointment if anything pops up

Part of it is trick of light @DaddyP713, its only 30, while the rears are 20 (what comes on the X from the factory). Legal limit I believe is technically 50, but as our detailer said, he's never heard of anyone being pulled over or cited for tinting, even the cars he does at 15 and 20 on the fronts. Colorado goes pretty easy on that. Plus its not a moving violation, it would simply be an equipment issue with just a fine, so I'm less worried about it.

I like the 30, it looks pretty close from the outside where you can't tell that much difference from the 20 on the rears unless you are looking straight on. Plus its not to bad inside looking out, even at night.

I've been pulled over and cited for tinting. I brought my Colorado-tinted BMW to California. I was pulled over, cited, and had to bring in proof that I'd had the 'over California tinting' removed. That was painful.

• Informative
I've been pulled over and cited for tinting. I brought my Colorado-tinted BMW to California. I was pulled over, cited, and had to bring in proof that I'd had the 'over California tinting' removed. That was painful.
Yes, I think we get away with a lot more here regarding tinting in Colorado than in California and other states. There are so many cars heavily tinted here, legitimately I believe, due to the heat and intensity of the sun both due to elevation and being the sunniest state in the union.

I discovered that my headliner is now rattling when driving, something I certainly did not have before the service center visit. If I hold up the headliner pushed against the roof, the rattle is gone.

I am growing more and more disappointed about the TN service center. Almost everything they touched they introduced more problems, A/C is the only exception (or so I hope, anyway). I guess it stands for a reason that @Debaser is also serviced there...

• Informative
It's interesting @verygreen, my detailer was saying how quality of work can vary from SC to SC. Denver for example was amazing, then sometime last year, was doing a fairly poor job and now again, is much better. Seems like one area Tesla is struggling in (which isn't surprising based on growth), is conformity of quality and service amongst various locations.