Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On that note, what are caravan parks attitudes towards powered camp sites and EVs generally? I imagine some wouldn't be too happy if you used 50kWh over a one night stay!

I charged recently at a remote pub overnight for 15 hours on a 15A caravan socket (although my Gen 2 UMC maxes out at 12A using the 15A tail). Before I checked in the owner said I’d be charged $10 to plug in. When I checked out and asked had he added in the $10 for charging (because I was going to offer $20) he said “nah mate it’s fine”.

Just tell people what you are going to do and most are chill about it! 😄

I charged my Model S at Normamaton Van Pk 14 hrs @15A 47 kWh added, was in May'19 for $20, camped in a tent in powered site, I told the owners I was charging an EV, no problem.
Another interesting thing that I have noticed after talking to a number of different caravan parks. They have all been happy to have any number of people (e.g. club trip) pulling 15A continuously. That is their electrical setup is appropriately sized for all of these 15A pillars, each with their own tiny sub-board.

Normanton Qld appears to be on the grid. I would wonder whether this applies in Bamaga or Birdsville where there is no grid.

Indeed! Certainly a bit hard to actually get to that new charger in Longreach in a timely manner :oops:
Rockhampton to Longreach is 687km, assuming a safe range of 350km for a Model 3 without any hypermiling, you need to charge 337km so 4 hours to make that leg. Get up early, drive to Emerald for breakfast and have a long breakfast, then on to Barcaldine or Alpha for a long lunch. Hypermiling techniques would increase time on the road but decrease time sitting around potentially boring charge sites.

I guess that another option would be to overnight in Emerald and then have no stress at all.

As you say, not exactly timely transport. The sooner that the chargers open in Emerald and Barcaldine, the better!

Phase 3 of the QESH has always surprised me for its lack of support for the standard around Australia route. Cairns to Normanton to Cloncurry is not exactly supported for example. Oh well, take those legs easy and do it old-school 3 phase.

I am excited to see a Cybertruck with 800km range speed running around the country.

Reactions: positiv
I've heard charging sites are ridiculously hard to set up and site locations are very hard to find. This is from Tesla and Evie. I imagine QESH is running into the same issues. Still no excuse now, there needs to be legislation passed to create a process for finding locations and installing these chargers in a straightforward manner.

There is a charger part of phase 3 in Charters Towers now. Its not open yet, but there are pictures on plugshare.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Locations is hard enough.
Not many people willing to rent out 30-45m² of parking (why both Tesla and the others have gone to a lot of councils).

But you also need power infrastructure close by, and spare power at that location.
Otherwise the costs in trenching and infrastructure quickly make a site unviable.

It's the latter costs from the grid operators
(Plus in at least a few cases the tariff plan that they allocate to the site) that need to be looked at

I've heard charging sites are ridiculously hard to set up and site locations are very hard to find. This is from Tesla and Evie. I imagine QESH is running into the same issues. Still no excuse now, there needs to be legislation passed to create a process for finding locations and installing these chargers in a straightforward manner.

There is a charger part of phase 3 in Charters Towers now. Its not open yet, but there are pictures on plugshare.
They also need legislation stating that if the charging site has two or less chargers they must be at least 150kw.

Reactions: positiv
I strongly disagree. The choice is not between a single 50kW charger and a single 150kW charger: it's between a single 50kW charger and nothing, and I'd much rather the former.
Precisely. You wouldn't want to legislate away the chance to even have a 50kW charger. 150kW means you need guaranteed supply of 215A per phase, which may be unobtainable in many locations. It also means a much higher grade of installation which I'm assuming further erodes the viability of the site.
I think the point about 150kW is a good one though as it illustrates that our electrical infrastructure continues to severely lag against the uptake of EVs.