Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Precisely. You wouldn't want to legislate away the chance to even have a 50kW charger. 150kW means you need guaranteed supply of 215A per phase, which may be unobtainable in many locations. It also means a much higher grade of installation which I'm assuming further erodes the viability of the site.
I think the point about 150kW is a good one though as it illustrates that our electrical infrastructure continues to severely lag against the uptake of EVs.

i personally SOMEWHAT disagree.
I.e. the exisiting rural bruce highway locations supply 50kw via the DC charger and then 2x 22kw via the schneider.
That means they can essentially supply 94kw....
150kw doesnt actually offer that much for rural australia. yes its quicker, but costs way more for just a little bit of time saving compaed to lets say 80-90kw (i.e. the initial superchargers).

You wouldn't want to legislate away the chance to even have a 50kW charger. 150kW means you need guaranteed supply of 215A per phase, which may be unobtainable in many locations. It also means a much higher grade of installation which I'm assuming further erodes the viability of the site.

If it’s a choice between a single 50 kW charger or nothing, I’d like two 50 kW DCFCs that load share. 25 kW is way better than nothing at the more remote locations, and you get 50 kW if no-one else is there.

Contention at single site stalls is becoming a problem.

If it’s a choice between a single 50 kW charger or nothing, I’d like two 50 kW DCFCs that load share. 25 kW is way better than nothing at the more remote locations, and you get 50 kW if no-one else is there.

Contention at single site stalls is becoming a problem.

ive been traveling >1000km/day on 42kw charging only and its incredibly slow and painful.
It caused me to often travel at night and sleep in the car (and do an AC charge to 100% while sleeping).
Not something you really wants while traveling.

I’d like two 50 kW DCFCs that load share. 25 kW is way better than nothing at the more remote locations, and you get 50 kW if no-one else is there.
It doesn't really get you underway any faster, though. Mostly it's the difference between waiting 30 minutes then charging 30 minutes, or charging an hour. It's worse if there's battery heating involved, or better if the other car can't use the full 50kW. Slightly more convenient I guess, since you get to go do something else for that hour.

Two chargers is better for redundancy, of course.

Reactions: David Sowden
It doesn't really get you underway any faster, though. Mostly it's the difference between waiting 30 minutes then charging 30 minutes, or charging an hour. It's worse if there's battery heating involved, or better if the other car can't use the full 50kW.

Tesla should turn off battery heating/conditioning below about 40 kW DC charging. I can’t see the point, wasting energy heating the battery so it can charge faster, when at that power, it ain’t going to charge any faster.

But someone can tell me I’m wrong.

Tesla should turn off battery heating/conditioning below about 40 kW DC charging. I can’t see the point, wasting energy heating the battery so it can charge faster, when at that power, it ain’t going to charge any faster.

But someone can tell me I’m wrong.
Absolutely agree. I've been to 350kW chargers and achieved faster than 50kW charging with no preconditioning. Unless the battery temp is below 0, but then it won't charge at all.

Reactions: Vostok
Probably when charging at 100+ kW… not so much when charging at 25 kW. But I’m not a battery expert.
Actually, heating the battery to 45degC to charge at 22kW is probably slightly more deleterious for a NMC battery than just charging at 22kW and somewhere around 25-35degC. Seems there is a possibility this might be fixed in 2022.40.1. Let's hope so.

Reactions: Vostok and Hairyman
Has anyone gone to any of the new QESH sites along the Warrego Highway as yet? They were supposed to be live by October, but still not showing on Plugshare so presuming there's been some delays. Are the sites progressed west of Toowoomba?
If you look at the ChargeFox app it shows the Dalby site is live. That is about as far west as it currently shows.

If you have the appropriate cables, it is possible to charge at the Chinchilla showground.
Thanks. We have access to a mate's 10A power point so I've never tried there.
I've been thinking that Chinchilla trip might be quicker once Miles is activated, rather than wait in Dalby at that slow old site to top up to get to Toowonba QESH to instead head further west, fast charge and double back.

It'd be straightforward if I just wanted to go to Chinchilla and back, as a charge at QESH Toowoomba would cover that, but I usually try to get to Lake Broadwater south of Dalby on the way & that diversion messes with the maths somewhat

“Charging stations will be switched on next week: Charters Towers - 16 November, Hughenden and Cloncurry -17 November, and Winton -18 November.”

Fun fact: Cloncurry used to hold the record for Australia’s highest ever temperature of 53°C recorded in 1889 - until it didn’t.

Meteorologists found documentary evidence which showed the measurement was taken in a beer crate nailed to the side of a house. They concluded that would have substantially affected the reading making it unreliable, and the true shade temperature was probably around 47°.

So Australia's highest official temperature is 50.7°, shared between Oodnadatta, SA (recorded 2 Jan 1960) and Onslow, WA, recorded this year on 21 January.

Planning a trip to North Queensland, Airlie Beach maybe Cairns, in January in a Model Y. What’s the reliability of the chargers once I go past Gympie? Any additional cables I need or can I get by with the QESH chargers and the UMC? Thanks

Last edited:
Planning a trip to North Queensland in January in a Model Y, what’s the reliability of the chargers once I go past Gympie? Any additional cables I need or can I get by with the QESH chargers and the UMC? Thanks
Beware of sites in the Chargefox map like Cardwell that show as online with a lightning bolt but the DC charger is faulty. Tap the site and ensure the CCS port is working. And check PlugShare too, at every stop, to strategise the next stop.

I’d suggest that you also bring a 22kW Type 2 to Type 2 cable. Costs about $220. It lets you use the backup AC charger if the main DC charger is broken, ICEd or taken. Also AC charging is great if you want to nap a few hours.

Reactions: cafz and positiv
Fun fact: Cloncurry used to hold the record for Australia’s highest ever temperature of 53°C recorded in 1889 - until it didn’t.

Meteorologists found documentary evidence which showed the measurement was taken in a beer crate nailed to the side of a house. They concluded that would have substantially affected the reading making it unreliable, and the true shade temperature was probably around 47°.

So Australia's highest official temperature is 50.7°, shared between Oodnadatta, SA (recorded 2 Jan 1960) and Onslow, WA, recorded this year on 21 January.
Cloncurry also recorded 128 F in the mid-fifties (53 C). I lived out that way then and it certainly was hot.