Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to break it to you, but the lost kWs early in the charge cycle are being used by your car. It's burning a lot of the incoming power hearing your battery pack for optimal long term resilience of your batteries.

I'd disagree with the resilience reasoning. It's heating the battery to give faster charging in the 75%+ range. You can plug into a supercharger with a 15 degree battery and still charge way faster than 50kW.

I can turn off the heating by turning on Track Mode before I plug in. I'll get max kW until 75-80+% where it starts to significantly slow down as compared to a non-heated battery (it still heats up somewhat just from the charging). Unless you're charging to ~95%+ it works out quicker with the heating off.

And Jolt chargers .. well heating on those .. I'm just not going to go there!

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Been using a fair few QESH chargers on a QLD holiday at the moment. Over the last week have used gin gin, mirrium vale, Rockhampton and MT Larcom.at different times.
Pretty unimpressed with the speed of the QESH chargers so far. Haven't seen any where near 50kw on my Tesla model 3 and most times have settled around the 38-39kw range. Adds a lot of time to what is usually a big charge up due to the distances involved in central QLD travel.
And although every time so far I have been the only one there, crazy to be only installing 1 DC and 1 AC charger with the ever increasing uptake of EVs, and the above mentioned need for large charges in QLD travel.

the chargers are 50kw, but only at max amps and voltage the car only recieves i think 45kw. It then also uses 7.5kw of that to heat the battery so you usually get between 38 and 42kw.

Reactions: positiv and OzVic
I hate to break it to you, but the lost kWs early in the charge cycle are being used by your car. It's burning a lot of the incoming power hearing your battery pack for optimal long term resilience of your batteries.

After it's heated, it'll deliver that extra few kW into the battery, though it'll then slow down again before too long, to protect the pack as it fills up.

Yes, they're slow. No, it's not fair to fault them for delivering 38-41kW net when it's actually delivering almost 50kW gross, up to the site's limitations.
Yes you don't need to explain this.

I don't think it is a heating problem. The chargers I used never delivered anywhere near 50kw at any point of a charge. Summer in central queensland and after a longer drive, battery is fairly warm already. As per the video, the car doesn't doesn't heat forever and once up to temp, the heaters turn off and you get full charge rate.

Might be a heat in the charger throttling it in the QLD heat. Who knows but either way, 1 charger that delivers 38kw is not the way to be going about this rollout. 75 - 100kw minimum should be how this is rolled out with a minimum of 2 chargers. People don't want to be hanging around for an hour to charge, or wait and hour for someone else to charge then charge yours for an hour. It's what is putting many people off EVs

1 charger that delivers 38kw is not the way to be going about this rollout. 75 - 100kw minimum should be how this is rolled out with a minimum of 2 chargers. People don't want to be hanging around for an hour to charge, or wait and hour for someone else to charge then charge yours for an hour. It's what is putting many people off EVs
I used the QESH last weekend on a trip to Gladstone and I agree. I was only getting 38-39kW at Maryborough. Charging was taking >1 hour and at least two other Tesla's turned up waiting for a charge while I was charging from the single stall charger. It's really not good enough. On the return trip I skipped QESH and made it to the Supercharger in Gympie where I got ~130kW.

Winton was working when I was there on Monday.

Cunnamulla has a new install that’s not quite ready. On Stockyard St just down from the Club Boutique Hotel. Tough to determine the address, so here’s the long/lat. (-28.0703991, 145.6822662)

It’s not in PlugShare yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7356.jpeg
    IMG_7356.jpeg
    583.8 KB · Views: 57