Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on California EV Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm about to order my Model S, which should be delivered in October.

It looks like the California EV rebate program was just funded again. It looks like they've changed the rules on income limits. From everything I read, the rules take effect Nov. 1, 2016. The income limits now drop to $300K for joint filers, which means I wouldn't qualify. However, I would quality under the old limit of $500K. If I buy now and take delivery in Oct and apply, would I be OK and qualify under the old income limits, or does the program which is currently exhausted, resume on Nov. 1st with the new income limits? Bottom line, I want to know if I still qualify.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight.

No offense but I'm always amazed on how cheap people are that make $100k+, myself included.

You make over $300k, suck it up and buy the car whether there's a rebate or not. I haven't gotten a rebate on the 4 Tesla's we own but that didn't stop us from buying them.

Honestly, at the new level of $300k, I still think we shouldn't be eligible for rebates, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
My decision does not hinge on the existence of the rebate. I'm just asking a clarifying question on the rebate rules.

No offense but I'm always amazed on how cheap people are that make $100k+, myself included.

You make over $300k, suck it up and buy the car whether there's a rebate or not. I haven't gotten a rebate on the 4 Tesla's we own but that didn't stop us from buying them.

Honestly, at the new level of $300k, I still think we shouldn't be eligible for rebates, that's just my opinion.

Reactions: HumanGenome
My decision does not hinge on the existence of the rebate. I'm just asking a clarifying question on the rebate rules.

So to answer your question, yes more money was allocated. Those in the queue now and before Nov 1st simply have to meet the current income restrictions. After that, it'll be the new lower ones.

Rebate checks will begin being sent out to those on the waiting list starting in October, once the gov. signs the bill as a formality.

My understanding is the bill to extend is waiting for the governor's signature. From what I have read, the indications are that he will sign it before the end of this month. But given its politics one never knows for sure. It ain't over until it's over.

Website now shows funding was approved and to expect checks starting in December.

Woot woot!!

Attachments

• IMG_5722.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 71
Yeah not to make this thread about haves and have not, but I would've purchased my tesla even if I didn't get the 2500 from CA and I make less than 100K/year. If you are making more than 300K joint a year, I would say don't collect the 2500 and save it for the next guy who where the extra 2500 would make a difference if they buy the EV or not. You will be doing everyone a favor. Think of it as charity.

IMO, the income cut off should be 100K per person and 200K joint. I guess 150K/300K is a compromise...

As I was in line for a new Model 3 (early delivery), I have decided to forgo the purchase for another couple years. Earlier, I was going to purchase a fully loaded M3 but decided to purchase an inventory Model S in the interim. I did, and I also received the California rebate and will be filing for the federal credit this year (filing taxes next week). This decision is based on my desire to sell or trade the MS before taking delivery of the M3.

I've since learned that I can receive another CA rebate for the M3 but I need to keep the MS for at least 30 months before selling the car, trading the car or leaving the State. While I can receive another CA rebate on a new M3, it would be offset by the penalty for selling the MS before the 30 month period. I have no intention of having two Teslas, as my wife drives a new Lexus ICE. Here is what California CVRP people told me this afternoon in an email:

"You can receive one more rebate with our program.

If you sell or trade in your current EV for a new eligible electric vehicle before you’ve owned this current one for 30 months, you will be in violation of the ownership provision of the program. We would then request that rebate be returned or the matter will be referred to ARB for resolution including potential legal action and/or any other remedy available under law.

If you trade in the vehicle after the 30 month ownership provision is fulfilled, you may be qualified for another rebate if you purchase/lease an eligible vehicle." and more:

"If you trade-in or sell the vehicle, move out of California, or otherwise fail to retain possession of the vehicle in California for the full 30 months, it would still be in violation of the ownership provision of the program."

This is the current status as of today and rebates are still on.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
Is it true there is a limit of 2 vehicles on the CA rebate? Is 2 annually? I already did two vehicles on my ELR in 2014 and X in 2016. Does that mean I can't do the 3 later this year?

From FAQs

Except for rental, public, and car share fleets, no single entity is eligible to receive more than two CVRP rebates either via direct purchase and/or lease as of January 1, 2015. All rebates issued prior to this date do not count toward the two rebate limit.

Looks like you can do one more since the first was in 2014. After the Model 3, you would have to apply in a spouses name. I did our first two EV's and our Tesla's were done under my wife's name.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd and K-MTG