TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question on California EV Rebate

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by mhw23, Sep 12, 2016.

1. mhw23

mhw23 Member

Hi everyone, I'm about to order my Model S, which should be delivered in October.

It looks like the California EV rebate program was just funded again. It looks like they've changed the rules on income limits. From everything I read, the rules take effect Nov. 1, 2016. The income limits now drop to $300K for joint filers, which means I wouldn't qualify. However, I would quality under the old limit of $500K. If I buy now and take delivery in Oct and apply, would I be OK and qualify under the old income limits, or does the program which is currently exhausted, resume on Nov. 1st with the new income limits? Bottom line, I want to know if I still qualify.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight.

2. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

#2 SoCal Jimmy, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    No offense but I'm always amazed on how cheap people are that make $100k+, myself included.

You make over $300k, suck it up and buy the car whether there's a rebate or not. I haven't gotten a rebate on the 4 Tesla's we own but that didn't stop us from buying them.

Honestly, at the new level of $300k, I still think we shouldn't be eligible for rebates, that's just my opinion.

3. mhw23

mhw23 Member

My decision does not hinge on the existence of the rebate. I'm just asking a clarifying question on the rebate rules.

4. zedkyuu

zedkyuu Member

There's nothing wrong with asking about something that had, at one point, been basically an entitlement.

I'm definitely not passing up that $7500 federal tax credit even if I don't actually need it.

5. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

Oh I'll take Fed credit for sure :)

6. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

So to answer your question, yes more money was allocated. Those in the queue now and before Nov 1st simply have to meet the current income restrictions. After that, it'll be the new lower ones.

Rebate checks will begin being sent out to those on the waiting list starting in October, once the gov. signs the bill as a formality.

7. SDRick

SDRick Member

You need to have taken delivery of the car before the cut off to take advantage of current rules.

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

CVRP website is still showing that funds are exhausted.

9. SDRick

SDRick Member

My understanding is the bill to extend is waiting for the governor's signature. From what I have read, the indications are that he will sign it before the end of this month. But given its politics one never knows for sure. It ain't over until it's over.

10. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

Website now shows funding was approved and to expect checks starting in December.

Woot woot!!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. No2DinosaurFuel

Yeah not to make this thread about haves and have not, but I would've purchased my tesla even if I didn't get the 2500 from CA and I make less than 100K/year. If you are making more than 300K joint a year, I would say don't collect the 2500 and save it for the next guy who where the extra 2500 would make a difference if they buy the EV or not. You will be doing everyone a favor. Think of it as charity.

IMO, the income cut off should be 100K per person and 200K joint. I guess 150K/300K is a compromise...