Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QUESTION RE: NEW AP FEATURE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any understanding or clarity whether this statement below confirms this feature will automatically allow AP to change lanes on a highway, pass a slower car and return to the cruising lane? Or is it just a suggestion that AP will make and not an action?.......language is confusing to me

“Navigate on Autopilot intelligently suggests lane changes to keep you on your route in addition to making adjustments so you don’t get stuck behind slow cars or trucks.”

...AP to change lanes on a highway...

For now, Autopilot does not suggest lane change and human has to do the thinking and flipping the signal stalk.

That will be true for older Autopilot AP1 hardware that has only 1 camera.

However, for newer hardware AP2 and above that have 8 cameras, the software WILL be incrementally improved to have the system to change lane on its own without human's judgment.

It seems that the upcoming V9 will only suggest lane change and will not automatically initiate lane change without human's permission.

any understanding or clarity whether this statement below confirms this feature will automatically allow AP to change lanes on a highway, pass a slower car and return to the cruising lane? Or is it just a suggestion that AP will make and not an action?.......language is confusing to me

“Navigate on Autopilot intelligently suggests lane changes to keep you on your route in addition to making adjustments so you don’t get stuck behind slow cars or trucks.”

Guess we'll know for sure soon but so far it sounds like v9 will only suggest lane changes as you approach destination that requires one and/or to speed up around slower cars. You'll have to manually initiate it. Likely still due to regulations.

But, it does read like v9 will automatically steer towards and exit for you, the exit ramp functionality since in a way your not changing lanes and it won't require intervention apparently. You will have to slow down then and likely disable AP at that point if it doesn't automatically at some point.

It's definitely a baby step in functionality, but apparently setting some ground work.

However, for newer hardware AP2 and above that have 8 cameras, the software WILL be incrementally improved to have the system to change lane on its own without human's judgment.
Don't forget about the few folks that have AP2 hardware, paid for AP1, and did not opt to pay for the enhanced autopilot functions. They will have AP2 hardware with 4 cameras software in-operable. Seems like a waist. I guess we'll see the distinction now.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
For now, Autopilot does not suggest lane change and human has to do the thinking and flipping the signal stalk.

That will be true for older Autopilot AP1 hardware that has only 1 camera.

It seems that the upcoming V9 will only suggest lane change and will not automatically initiate lane change without human's permission.
How do you get that? It states that it will make adjustments.

Yup. Language isn't clear and everything I've seen so far is early release and might not match what we actually get.

The language in the first release I saw suggested AP was just going to suggest when it thinks changing lanes is a good idea, which seems like something AP1 should be able to do as well - then the driver would check the blind spot and initiate a lane change if they chose to like they do now.

Later language discussion on the FW 9 thread is about a "turn signal confirmation" of a car suggested/initiated lane change - and at least one post seems to say you can turn that option off and let a current FW 9.0 car change lanes with no action from the driver (only AP2+, of course.)

• Informative
Reactions: AdamHLG
I haven't seen a road around Orlando (which is covered in muti-lane highways) that Autopilot will do an auto lane change. It only shows the current (travel) lane on the cluster.

I use the autopilot lane change all the time on 417 and I-4 (when I feel brave enough to turn it on on I-4, that is). Do you have Auto Lane Change turned on, for all driver profiles? That caused confusion for us previously, some profiles had it turned on, some not.

Under what firmware? 9.0 changes a bunch of things...
The latest firmware that is not 9.0. Last update was Sunday.

I use the autopilot lane change all the time on 417 and I-4 (when I feel brave enough to turn it on on I-4, that is). Do you have Auto Lane Change turned on, for all driver profiles? That caused confusion for us previously, some profiles had it turned on, some not.

Interesting... I'll have to check my wife's profile. It's definitely on in mine and I am the main driver of the vehicle. It's funny, when I have my wife's profile up she has the range set at miles, while mine shows %. It throws me for a loop each time.

417 and 408 are pretty much my main commuting roads. It has never given me the opportunity to lane change.