Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick or easy ways to remove a J1772 connector (with adapter)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use on of these, it's screwed into the wall beside my J1722 charger works perfectly and has held up for a year so far no problem: Tesla Model 3 Charger Adapter Trunk Mount Holder Stand-Black | eBay
I would like to keep the adapter "permanently" attached to the J1772 plug and just hang the whole hand-grip plug from a single holster. Keeping the adapter on means it won't fit into the existing J1772 holster, so I need a new holster or some holster adapter that will hold on to the NCSA adapter end and accommodate the extra bulk of the J1772 hand-grip.

I would like to keep the adapter "permanently" attached to the J1772 plug and just hang the whole hand-grip plug from a single holster. Keeping the adapter on means it won't fit into the existing J1772 holster, so I need a new holster or some holster adapter that will hold on to the NCSA adapter end and accommodate the extra bulk of the J1772 hand-grip.
I'm searching for the same thing, and ended up on this thread. I'm still looking for a holder that will hold my level 2 chargepoint charger with Tesla J1772 adapter always connected. If I find anything and test it, i'll come and update this with results.

I'm still looking for a holder that will hold my level 2 chargepoint charger with Tesla J1772 adapter always connected. If I find anything and test it, i'll come and update this with results.

Would something like these work?

I don't know if that would hold the weight of the whole charger plus J1772 adapter. I think im leaning towards way more simple Y hook that screws in the wall. It will definitely hold the weight and should be very secure. I'll go find a someone nicer one than the picture below.
Y-hook
Y hook .jpeg

I don't know if that would hold the weight of the whole charger plus J1772 adapter. I think im leaning towards way more simple Y hook that screws in the wall. It will definitely hold the weight and should be very secure. I'll go find a someone nicer one than the picture below.
Y-hook
View attachment 909283

Yeah, I just drape the cable over my EVSE and let the connector dangle.

Reactions: MikeHawk
I definitely recommend the Y-hook, if you want to hold your J1772 charging handle plus adapter. I got the "Hyper Tough Screw-in Heavy Duty Tool Holder" from walmart, for $2. Easily holds the weight, I did make sure to screw it into the stud. Here's my setup.

Attachments

• Hyper Tough Screw-in Heavy Duty Tool Holder.JPG
    Hyper Tough Screw-in Heavy Duty Tool Holder.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230223_044214.jpg
    20230223_044214.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230223_040101.jpg
    20230223_040101.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230223_040019.jpg
    20230223_040019.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: snovvman and Jeff-4
Anybody try using the FOB to unlock the charge port?

I use this for hanging my handle with the Jplug adapter;

I use a Emporia EVSE to charge with excess solar.

This is what using excess solar looks like charging the car;
1677980008452.png

Here’s a very easy trick I learned from my colleague.

Press and release the spring loaded lever/button on the adapter. This will unlock the charger from the car, but since the adapter is still attached to the charger, you can pull the charger with adapter together with just one hand.

Reactions: android04
When using a J1772 connector and a Tesla adapter, after the charging is complete and even with doors unlocked, one still must use the mobile app to unlock the charge port in order to remove the J1772 and adapter as a single unit.

Yes, one can unplug the J1772 away from the adapter, but that causes the charge port door to come down and impact against the J1772 to Tesla adapter. One then needs to use the app to get the port door to open and unlock anyway.

Other options are to use the car's touchscreen or 3rd-party integrations to create shortcuts or voice control.

Are there any other ways where one can remove the J1772 and Tesla adapter as a single unit without having to use the phone or the car's display?

Thanks.
If the car is NOT currently charging and the car is sleeping, regardless if it is locked or unlocked, you have to use either the touchscreen or app to unlock the port. If the car IS charging, it will unlock when you push the charge interrupt button on the J1772. At this point, hold the adapter with one hand and pull the charger out with the other.

I had the same problem with the Wallbox and I didn't like the idea disconnecting the adapter everytime I want to unplug the car.
But since I have automated my house with the Home Assistant, I added a Lutron Pico switch that completely solved this problem.
I programmed the switch to open and close the charging port and unlock the charger. And I don't even need to have my car keys (iPhone) with me.
Home Assistant sends the "unlock" message successfully even if the car is in asleep mode (it just takes a few seconds).

I also used two additional buttons to turn the lights on/off and open/close the garage door.

It works perfectly and is even more convenient than the Tesla charger.

1698343025413.png

Reactions: snovvman
When using a J1772 connector and a Tesla adapter, after the charging is complete and even with doors unlocked, one still must use the mobile app to unlock the charge port in order to remove the J1772 and adapter as a single unit.

Yes, one can unplug the J1772 away from the adapter, but that causes the charge port door to come down and impact against the J1772 to Tesla adapter. One then needs to use the app to get the port door to open and unlock anyway.

Other options are to use the car's touchscreen or 3rd-party integrations to create shortcuts or voice control.

Are there any other ways where one can remove the J1772 and Tesla adapter as a single unit without having to use the phone or the car's display?

Thanks.
All you need to do is press the button on the j1772 and don't pull yet. Then release button and pull them both out.

Reactions: arcos and davewill
All you need to do is press the button on the j1772 and don't pull yet. Then release button and pull them both out.
And if that doesn't work for you, use the two handed method. Use one hand to press the button and hold the plug and the other to pull the adapter out along with the plug. If the car is sleeping, you just need to hold the button a few seconds until it unlocks.

Reactions: arcos and cdub

:) :) It really does the job. I just checked it out. I didn't know the j1772 had a button. I thought it was just a mechanical lock.
But at least I had some 10 minutes of fun (because it took me so long to prepare HA with Pico) to do another automation at home :)

Reactions: cdub