TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Quiet turn signals

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by CurrentRide, May 9, 2017.

1. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

Maybe it is just me, but is the turn signal indicator sound awfully quiet? It may be that previous automobiles had the turn signal sound set as a priority over the stereo sound system. Or maybe I am listening to music at a higher volume than I did in the past. Or maybe my wife is right and I need to get my hearing checked. In any case, I am worse about leaving the signal on after a lane change than I ever have been in the past. Yes, now I am sometimes that guy... the annoying blissfully unaware idiot with the turn signal left on that I disparaged for the first 30 years of my driving experience.

Is anyone else willing to admit to this, or is it just me?

Tesla, please save me from myself. Please increase the turn signal noise on a future update!

• Like x 1
  2. Haxster

Haxster Member

I have old-guy ears…and mine sound like a too-loud castanet to me.

It would be nice if they adjusted to the ambient noise level… but they don't. :(

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Wives always say you need to get your hearing checked. Maybe it's just selective hearing?;)

• Funny x 2
  4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Funny, I was just commenting to my son that the darn blinkers are too loud in the MX! I am going to go with your wife's hypothesis.

5. outie

outie Active Member

The turn signal on the MX is the loudest I've ever had. I wish it's more quiet, or better yet I wish it's user adjustable.

6. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Perfect volume for me.

7. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

Perhaps the issue is with my stereo system overwhelming the turn signal at level 5 volume. I am listening to music instead of sports or news radio much more than in the past due to the convenience of Slacker. I will ask the SC if the turn signal volume is adjustable.

8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

2 things, that can easily be changed with software.

1. HI, Med, Low setting for 'turn signal noise' - may be a legal issue, as I'd just disable it.
    2. Signal should self cancel after 1 mile of use.

BAM.

• Like x 1
  9. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

It's fine by me... I wish I could turn off or quiten the "AP on" and other chimes though. My passengers don't need to know who's driving.

I wish I could turn them down e.g. on night trips when everyone but the driver is sleeping.

• Like x 1
  10. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

It is interesting that different people have such very different experiences with the volume, and it raises the question that different cars may have different signal volume settings.

Obviously, it can be subjective, but I was listening very carefully this morning on my commute, and it is pretty darn quiet. I really cannot hear the turn signal at all over the stereo when the volume is set at more than 4-5. As much as my wife may disagree, there is nothing wrong with my hearing. :rolleyes:

I will update this thread after discussing it with my SC at my yearly visit.

11. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

True story.. second car I ever bought was a Trans-Am (I was a teen) and the guy who sold it to me had replaced the relay (clicker) with one that plays "Love Me Tender." Every time I took someone for a ride in my "sweet muscle car" they would snicker as soon as I made the first turn...

But to your point, I'd love to see more customizable features like the volume (and dare I even say sound type) of the turn signals. It would probably be time better spent than on Easter eggs. Keep the screens all simple, but then give us an "advanced options" tab and load it up with the stuff you'd want to set once and leave it. Or adjust very infrequently.

BTW- My Waze demands that I turn in the voice of Mr T, now. Novelty for sure, but changing things every now and then can give a "refreshed" feeling to an owner every now and then.

12. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

The problem is some drivers don't even know who's driving.. hence the crashes being blamed on AP.

13. outie

outie Active Member

Well at 4-5 volume it's understandable you find the turn signal a bit muted. That is quite loud. I only go up that high on high freeway speed as the road noise started to get loud. Even so it'd be on 4 not even 5.

14. CurrentRide

CurrentRide Member

Yes, this is on the Interstate at around 75mph, but is the same commute that I have done for 12 years in a variety of previous vehicles. This is the only one in which I can not hear the signal.

The other possibility is that there is something wrong with my car, but I am now guessing that it may be an adjustable variable. This would also be good news for those who complain about it being too loud.

15. MXFan

MXFan Member

Many of the other cars I've owned were too loud for me. This Tesla is just right. And I'll admit to being a bit hard of hearing.

Most likely the frequency of the Tesla blinker sound is different from others cars and whether it is too loud or soft is dependent on varying degrees of hearing loss in that frequency.

I suspect the sound is the same in all Model Xs and the rest is subjective.

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Human hearing capability is variable, and our subjective impression of "loudness" is even more variable.

The cars are all the same. The people are all different.

• Like x 1
  17. martinicus

martinicus Member

I've noticed a bug recently where the turn signal noise will fail for a little while. Like the audio file is just not playing. And then after a few minutes it comes back. On 17.11.45

18. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

How about user defined volume as well an amount of time before a warning comes that signal indicator has been on "too long".

19. polymathic

polymathic Member

The turn signal volume is different depending on the car. The AP1 cars I drove had very quiet signals, and the AP2 had loud signals. Those were cars with less than 5,000 mi that I drove in the past two months.

20. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I have also noticed this bug (typically the first couple "blinks", but not always). Hopefully it's been fixed, or will be in future updates.