Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet turn signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it is just me, but is the turn signal indicator sound awfully quiet? It may be that previous automobiles had the turn signal sound set as a priority over the stereo sound system. Or maybe I am listening to music at a higher volume than I did in the past. Or maybe my wife is right and I need to get my hearing checked. In any case, I am worse about leaving the signal on after a lane change than I ever have been in the past. Yes, now I am sometimes that guy... the annoying blissfully unaware idiot with the turn signal left on that I disparaged for the first 30 years of my driving experience.

Is anyone else willing to admit to this, or is it just me?

Tesla, please save me from myself. Please increase the turn signal noise on a future update!

Reactions: xspace
Maybe it is just me, but is the turn signal indicator sound awfully quiet? It may be that previous automobiles had the turn signal sound set as a priority over the stereo sound system. Or maybe I am listening to music at a higher volume than I did in the past. Or maybe my wife is right and I need to get my hearing checked. In any case, I am worse about leaving the signal on after a lane change than I ever have been in the past. Yes, now I am sometimes that guy... the annoying blissfully unaware idiot with the turn signal left on that I disparaged for the first 30 years of my driving experience.

Is anyone else willing to admit to this, or is it just me?

Tesla, please save me from myself. Please increase the turn signal noise on a future update!
Wives always say you need to get your hearing checked. Maybe it's just selective hearing?;)

Perhaps the issue is with my stereo system overwhelming the turn signal at level 5 volume. I am listening to music instead of sports or news radio much more than in the past due to the convenience of Slacker. I will ask the SC if the turn signal volume is adjustable.

It is interesting that different people have such very different experiences with the volume, and it raises the question that different cars may have different signal volume settings.

Obviously, it can be subjective, but I was listening very carefully this morning on my commute, and it is pretty darn quiet. I really cannot hear the turn signal at all over the stereo when the volume is set at more than 4-5. As much as my wife may disagree, there is nothing wrong with my hearing. :rolleyes:

I will update this thread after discussing it with my SC at my yearly visit.

True story.. second car I ever bought was a Trans-Am (I was a teen) and the guy who sold it to me had replaced the relay (clicker) with one that plays "Love Me Tender." Every time I took someone for a ride in my "sweet muscle car" they would snicker as soon as I made the first turn...

But to your point, I'd love to see more customizable features like the volume (and dare I even say sound type) of the turn signals. It would probably be time better spent than on Easter eggs. Keep the screens all simple, but then give us an "advanced options" tab and load it up with the stuff you'd want to set once and leave it. Or adjust very infrequently.

BTW- My Waze demands that I turn in the voice of Mr T, now. Novelty for sure, but changing things every now and then can give a "refreshed" feeling to an owner every now and then.

It is interesting that different people have such very different experiences with the volume, and it raises the question that different cars may have different signal volume settings.

Obviously, it can be subjective, but I was listening very carefully this morning on my commute, and it is pretty darn quiet. I really cannot hear the turn signal at all over the stereo when the volume is set at more than 4-5. As much as my wife may disagree, there is nothing wrong with my hearing. :rolleyes:

I will update this thread after discussing it with my SC at my yearly visit.
Well at 4-5 volume it's understandable you find the turn signal a bit muted. That is quite loud. I only go up that high on high freeway speed as the road noise started to get loud. Even so it'd be on 4 not even 5.

Well at 4-5 volume it's understandable you find the turn signal a bit muted. That is quite loud. I only go up that high on high freeway speed as the road noise started to get loud. Even so it'd be on 4 not even 5.
Yes, this is on the Interstate at around 75mph, but is the same commute that I have done for 12 years in a variety of previous vehicles. This is the only one in which I can not hear the signal.

The other possibility is that there is something wrong with my car, but I am now guessing that it may be an adjustable variable. This would also be good news for those who complain about it being too loud.

Many of the other cars I've owned were too loud for me. This Tesla is just right. And I'll admit to being a bit hard of hearing.

Most likely the frequency of the Tesla blinker sound is different from others cars and whether it is too loud or soft is dependent on varying degrees of hearing loss in that frequency.

I suspect the sound is the same in all Model Xs and the rest is subjective.

Human hearing capability is variable, and our subjective impression of "loudness" is even more variable.

The cars are all the same. The people are all different.

Reactions: FarmerDave