Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar getting turned off on Model 3/Y with 2022.20.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because they are no longer maintaining the code that uses radar. So if you want updated functionality you will have to use the Tesla Vision version. Tesla has said that in general it is better. Obviously it still lags in speed and follow distance functionality.

Wouldn’t it make sense to keep using the radar for the sole purpose of safety (e.g., AEB) features? I understand if Tesla doesn’t want to use it in the AP algorithm but that alone should not be an excuse to disable the radar completely.

Wouldn’t it make sense to keep using the radar for the sole purpose of safety (e.g., AEB) features? I understand if Tesla doesn’t want to use it in the AP algorithm but that alone should not be an excuse to disable the radar completely.
It makes sense to get rid of it so that you can have one software version that is unified and doesn't have to take into account whether the car has or does not have the radar. Simple: one version of software that assume there's no radar and doesn't use the radar.

I'm not saying it's the best choice, but I can see why they'd do it.

No. Tesla has said that Tesla Vision is safer, and radar only added noise. For example it detects and slows for a Semi that is stopped partially in the lane earlier than radar does. (You know like all the firetrucks that a Tesla has slammed into the back of.) It also has fewer problems with detecting stationary objects that can trigger a false AEB event. (Though it seems that Tesla Vision has, or had, its own problems with false slowdowns/AEB events.)

It should be a simple “if” statement in the code. And if it’s only being used for AEB (not AP/FSD) then that part of the code should never need to be updated/maintained.
Well I think even AEB is classified as safety critical systems and are under the per view of ISO 26262. A lot of longterm issues have to be thought thru before one decides to maintain multiple branches of code. You cannot have a code branch which is not actively maintained as it form a part of safety critical system.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I have a 2020 MY with radar. The FSD beta disabled my radar many months ago. I had the same concerns expressed in this thread, and completely understand the feelings here.

The good news is that the lack of radar wasn't nearly as big of an issue than I imagined.

The good news:
1. I thought the vision system would struggle when the sun was directly in front (my eyes sure do), but it seems to "see" in that situation just fine. This is also true driving at night with blaring oncoming lights.
2. I expected more phantom braking. Nope, it happens on rare occasions, just like with radar.
3. It initially limited TACC to 75, but I think it's back to 85.
4. I don't think it requires auto high beams, but will have to double check this later.

The bad news:
1. It does require auto wipers. This is annoying when you wash your windshield and it takes multiple wipes for it to decide it is not raining. The windshield gets less clean during those extra wipes.
2. Maybe this was there before, but it is annoying... When engaging autopilot, it automatically sets the auto headlights AND it automatically sets the interior light level to auto 24%. I like them dimmer, but it changes my settings every time.
I have vision only 3 and when I engage autopilot at night it turns on the auto high beams even though I have the auto high beams feature turned off in the settings. :( This does not happen on my radar equipped Y.

Well I think even AEB is classified as safety critical systems and are under the per view of ISO 26262. A lot of longterm issues have to be thought thru before one decides to maintain multiple branches of code. You cannot have a code branch which is not actively maintained as it form a part of safety critical system.

Many automakers with front collision avoidance systems on their vehicles do not have OTA updates like Tesla. So what’s the difference between Tesla not updating the radar code vs. any other automaker that doesn’t update their code ever?

No. Tesla has said that Tesla Vision is safer, and radar only added noise. For example it detects and slows for a Semi that is stopped partially in the lane earlier than radar does. (You know like all the firetrucks that a Tesla has slammed into the back of.) It also has fewer problems with detecting stationary objects that can trigger a false AEB event. (Though it seems that Tesla Vision has, or had, its own problems with false slowdowns/AEB events.)

If this is true then why does every other vehicle on the market with front collision avoidance safety features have a radar?

Read the many articles out there about the contract with Samsung. It appears that the current sensor suite is not good enough. Tesla is probably aware of some new technology that Samsung has that brings their camera to the next level.
That doesn't mean current cameras aren't good enough. It just means that it can be even better with better cameras. (And likely a better FSD chip to handle the extra data from said cameras.)

In fact I think Elon said something along the lines that the HW3 system will be ~2x better than a human while the HW4 system will be ~10x better than a human.