Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar getting turned off on Model 3/Y with 2022.20.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the many articles out there about the contract with Samsung. It appears that the current sensor suite is not good enough. Tesla is probably aware of some new technology that Samsung has that brings their camera to the next level.

"New hardware" doesnt = "current not good enough". Planning for "the next thing" doesnt mean the current thing isnt up to the task. I would suggest trying it in your vehicle and letting us know how it performs for you.

In my own vehicle, things work ok. Others have a different experience. Both of those can be true. How does it work for you in your own vehicle?

I think this a good thing because we are one step closer to FSD Beta being mainstream.

I didn’t notice any degradation on AutoPilot when I was on FSD Beta (with a radar based car). Nor when switching to a non Radar based car.

Reactions: Yelobird
I think this a good thing because we are one step closer to FSD Beta being mainstream.

I didn’t notice any degradation on AutoPilot when I was on FSD Beta (with a radar based car). Nor when switching to a non Radar based car.
Same here and dare I say I actually think reliably has improved since they Focused on just using vision. But that’s my cars.

Many automakers with front collision avoidance systems on their vehicles do not have OTA updates like Tesla. So what’s the difference between Tesla not updating the radar code vs. any other automaker that doesn’t update their code ever?
Not updating the code with newer features does not necessarily mean that the code is not being maintained or supported. Without OTA any critical SW update will mean a visit to a dealer or a company/OEM approved facility to update the firmware by some method as approved by the the OEM.

Has anyone used Vision in a rainy environment like Seattle? I'm curious how it does when it's pouring.
Denver often has afternoon rain, sometimes gully-washers. The first thing that goes is NoAP. Then it will warn that features are reduced, like max speed being 45, etc. Finally it will bail completely. Weather happens pretty fast here so some of those steps may get skipped. The rain does not have to be that severe. Once droplets are blocking the cameras, you’re screwed.

My 2021 Model Y just updated to 2022.20.9 and the update did switch me over to vision only. I'm not happy about it as I opted out of FSD beta after experiencing a degraded performance on highways using vision only.
1661537552277.png

• Informative
Reactions: alexcue
The original post / link from the website notateslaapp, showed that the notification was from a model S, so I am gonna say "not right, it likely impacts s and x too if this is confirmed".
Well, this says all models, FWIW....

The update from hell... ugh. I had 2022.24.5 pending. I knew I should have updated. Tesla took it away today and gave me 2022.20.9 instead. Not updating.

I hate auto wipers so much. It was the worst part of FSD Beta and the main reason why I opted out of it. I use rain repellent product on my windshield, and the damn wipers are scrubbing way too much. Ruins the product, adds wear on blades, and overall is just a huge waste of money.

I guess this is the kind of bullshit we can expect with a car built for California. Already had to replace the undercarriage fabric/mesh crap with a 3rd party aluminum plate because Fremont was cheaping out on giving people the hard plastic ones like China was in 2021. Then there's the lack of mudflaps and random water intrusions. These geniuses really know a lot about rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: nj1266
I don’t trust the car software and I refuse to assume any risk using FSD. It will be a work in progress for a long time. I would not be surprised if NHTSA boxes in its deployment.

I dont quite understand what you mean here by "I dont trust the car software". Does this mean you never use autopilot in your own tesla?

Has anyone used Vision in a rainy environment like Seattle? I'm curious how it does when it's pouring.
I have, yes. FSD Beta. Seattle tends to sprinkle mist and my experience has been absolutely awful. The wipers engage to medium speed and it wipes on a dry windshield 5 times over just for a few tiny droplets.

Worst case scenario is I may have to cut the wire on the wipers and install a physical switch.

Tesla has said that Tesla Vision is safer
Elon would say anything to justify a terrible decision. A car that cannot see through fog is not safer, so take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, you're the one who signed the indemnity agreement to clear Tesla of liability.

Last edited:
Reactions: COS Blue
I have, yes. FSD Beta. Seattle tends to sprinkle mist and my experience has been absolutely awful. The wipers engage to medium speed and it wipes on a dry windshield 5 times over just for a few tiny droplets.

Worst case scenario is I may have to cut the wire on the wipers and install a physical switch.

Thats how the auto wipers are working (or not). How is vision only autopilot / FSD working? You focused on the wipers because you really dont like them, but didnt answer their question (unless the answer is "everything works great except for the auto wipers")

Thats how the auto wipers are working (or not). How is vision only autopilot / FSD working? You focused on the wipers because you really dont like them, but didnt answer their question (unless the answer is "everything works great except for the auto wipers")
It bothers me because it's too sensitive, because the people who built the car don't actually experience different weather patterns. No means of submitting feedback, and the only option the driver has is to accept it or sell the car.

I see windshield wipers as another consumable scam right up there with printer cartridges, so yes it pains me to see the wipers intentionally grinding a dry windshield. Bought a box of 100 aquapel wipes for my previous vehicle and kept the factory wipers all the way up until I traded it for the Tesla. No squeaking, no streaks. Nothing. Meanwhile my significant other already replaced the wipers on her Honda 3 times. Cars were the same age.

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
This sucks.

One of the reasons I've held onto my Feb 2021 built Y is because of radar. After almost two years and 24K miles, I have no problems with random phantom braking & love setting the following distance to 1.. as it keeps those aggressive DC commuters from jumping in front of me every 2 minutes.
Don't update? Then you miss all the exciting improvements AND security updates. 2018 Model 3 70K miles and still lovin it!

My 2021 Model Y just updated to 2022.20.9 and the update did switch me over to vision only. I'm not happy about it as I opted out of FSD beta after experiencing a degraded performance on highways using vision only.
View attachment 845538
The notion FSD could ever work in a Vision-only system is just laughable. What happens when an ego maniacal CEO tail wags the corporate dog...

I'm sure the engineers know it, and must be pulling their hair out trying to deal with the inherent limitations.

Love the cars, but the current approach to AP/FSD will be the death of the brand unless Musk gets out of the way and lets it be done right.