Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar getting turned off on Model 3/Y with 2022.20.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. You're correct.

There's a lot of research about how "vision only" systems perform at night, in different kinds of weather, etc. It's just not as good...and in some situations, quite a bit worse. For example, at night in the presence of pedestrians, vision-only systems do reaaaaallly poorly.

Edward Niedermeyer knows a lot of the researchers and tweets good links to peer-reviewed research articles and study results about this from time to time.
Don't even for a moment spend anytime reading that guy's tweets or articles. He is one of those Tesla haters spewing FUD and lies about Tesla for many years. He is the scumbag that started a "Tesla death watch" website in 2013 with a prediction that Tesla will go bankrupt soon, and worked really hard to achieve that by writing many articles that were total lies and exaggerations.

He also collaborated with another scum who submitted many spurious NHTSA complaints about suspension failures that resulted in accidents. Almost all of them are bogus. He would take a picture of a heavily damaged Tesla in some unrelated accident, get the VIN, and file a complaint that the accident happened due to suspension failure.

Before taking someone's pronouncements seriously you need to look at the history of that person. Because when a technology is still maturing, there are lots of unknowns and confusion. That is normal. These presstitutes take advantage of that and create FUD, which to the general public looks pretty reasonable.

For instance look at all the articles and FUD that came out against EVs and how they are bad for the environment and Climate change, they create more pollution, yada yada, just a few years ago. That was the time when EVs haven't really proven themselves, and so many of the FUDdish articles looked genuine. We are in the same stage with autonomy.

• Disagree
Reactions: COS Blue and Dayreg
2022.20.9 got installed on my 2019 MX yesterday. Haven't had the opportunity to engage Autopilot or FSD yet. My MY 2020 with radar is still running 2022.20.8 so i expect the update will arrive soon.
Please let us know how it goes, especially in adverse conditions. Also, whether turning the AP/FSD on forces auto high beam and auto wipers.

No. Tesla has said that Tesla Vision is safer, and radar only added noise. For example it detects and slows for a Semi that is stopped partially in the lane earlier than radar does. (You know like all the firetrucks that a Tesla has slammed into the back of.) It also has fewer problems with detecting stationary objects that can trigger a false AEB event. (Though it seems that Tesla Vision has, or had, its own problems with false slowdowns/AEB events.)
Tesla says that, but having used both systems (and being in FSD beta for both), would say the radar based system was far more reliable. Less phantom braking, and when following cars, the radar based system was much more responsive to cars slowing down and delivering a gradual deceleration. The vision only based system has a disconcerting lag time.

Can't imagine myself the only person with this experience, but welcome to see what others who have used both say.

Reactions: flashflooder
Tesla says that, but having used both systems (and being in FSD beta for both), would say the radar based system was far more reliable. Less phantom braking, and when following cars, the radar based system was much more responsive to cars slowing down and delivering a gradual deceleration. The vision only based system has a disconcerting lag time.
Which system has rammed into the back of firetrucks and, other vehicles partially in the lane, more? (Hint: it is the radar based system.)

And to clarify, Tesla said it is safer, not that it is more comfortable.

I guess we will have to wait for more vision only cars and many more drivers on the road to reach any reasonable conclusion on the impact of radar removal and switching to vision only.
Exactly! Given Tesla past performance with FW update, my level of trust is pretty low. Additionally, if someone goes against the prevailing logic and practice (radar + camera) they should provide more details aside from “trust me, it is better”.
Until there is more evidence I will hold off on the update. That is, until it is forced on me.

Reactions: Daekwan
It is what has been talked about ni this thread starting at this post. There are some more details, and link to a video where it was discussed, in this thread: FSD AP improvements in upcoming v11 from Lex Fridman interview
Ah, that is where the “photon count” BS started :)
Raw image != “photon count” :)
Photon counting arrays is super expensive, specialized equipment used in quantum physics research.
So, Tesla is doing raw image processing outside of the camera. Makes a ton of sense but it is nothing ground braking new.
Still does not prove that video only sensors processing is better than video + radar.

I just got notified to update my 2020 3P to 2022.20.9. I live in SoCal and I will annoyed by 1) windshield wipers on Auto (I have mine on off) and 2) high beam on at night when using AP on the freeway. Anyone who has vision only found a way around these two limitations? If I am on autopilot, can I turn high beam to low beam and still stay on AP or will it disengage if I do that? Any help is appreciate.

I guess we will have to wait for more vision only cars and many more drivers on the road to reach any reasonable conclusion on the impact of radar removal and switching to vision only.
Wait for what? Tesla stopped including radars in cars for a year now. I have had both versions and can’t see the difference. Not perfect but same.

Yep. You're correct.

There's a lot of research about how "vision only" systems perform at night, in different kinds of weather, etc. It's just not as good...and in some situations, quite a bit worse. For example, at night in the presence of pedestrians, vision-only systems do reaaaaallly poorly.

Edward Niedermeyer knows a lot of the researchers and tweets good links to peer-reviewed research articles and study results about this from time to time.
I’m not sure it’s only “at night”. I was on a state highway in northern WI today at 8:30am (state highway 70 in Burnett County). They apparently either chip sealed with large aggregate or the top coat of asphalt had lots of voids. My 2022 vision only car kept slowing from 60 to 35 (55mph speed limit, getting passed often at max speed) due to “limited vision” from reflected glare from water “in” the road surface.

Frustrating - have to think that’s better with radar.

Got better when I hit the next county. They must have used a different paving outfit.

Radar has a place.