Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raining inside my 2-week-old Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Sealing glass at the factory is a robotic operation. If tesla is having glass sealing issues, then someone needs to be fired because that’s like dropping a ball covered with glue. It’s incompetence at the highest level and QC control at the lowest.

What are the chances that the glass was replaced after the car left the factory? (We have seen a number arrive at delivery destinations with broken glass.)

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93 and kayak1
I wonder what happened? I would have thought maybe they washed the car once ( and so would have noticed) before the pick up but maybe not since cars are probably not sitting around lot long enough to get very dusty or dirty. I am going to check mine for sure. I just picked up on June 19th. Concerning and wondering what the incidence rate is.

Since it's a 2 week old vehicle, returning it won't be easy. I had a windshield seal leak in a new vehicle before. It's frustrating, but fixable. Make sure they remove the glass to seal it right. They might break the glass removing it, so be mentally prepared for that.

I doubt pouring a water bottle on a car before taking delivery will help. Looking at the clip above, I suspect the water leaked and pooled somewhere, then came down when the car moved (no water was hitting the roof during the clip).
The entire top of this car is glass, along with the windshield. There are 8 more edges to make sure are sealed properly than just the windshield. And if they can mess one up, they can mess them all up!

Probably the worst I've seen so far. I guess we were lucky to have to pick our car in the rain as it was a natural seal check. However, in washing the car for the first time, I found that the door jambs seemed to have more gunk on them than would be expected. Upon further inspection, it seemed the door seal that runs along the bottom of the door wasn't even glued on and just hanging loose. This was on 3 of the 4 doors. Some of you may want to check this because it's not obvious unless you get down low and look underneath.

We just sold our second vehicle in preparation for ordering a Model Y to go with our 2017 Volt. We were going to place our order this week but these daily "poor delivery/QC" posts have caused us to delay placing our order for at least another quarter in hopes they get all the bugs worked out. Don't they do a high-pressure water test on new vehicles? When we took delivery of our 2006 Corvette we also got the factory tour and new Vettes were driven into a booth and sprayed the car with high-pressure water jets.

When I had mine windshield replaced on my other cars, they always warned me about closing the doors with the windows up as the air pressure could pop the sealant before it was fully cured. The factory would made this curing time and everything part of their process.

A tiny bubble in the polyurethane sealing dispenser would result in a gap in the dispensed sealant and a problem like this. The only fix is replacing the glass.

And no self-respecting company would remove A glass panel and reinstall the same one. The likelihood of later cracking is too high.

Reactions: kevin1
Has someone tweeted this to him yet? I think he'd react well to sarcasm. Something like "Hey Elon, can you push a fix out for this in 2020.24.5
When I had mine windshield replaced on my other cars, they always warned me about closing the doors with the windows up as the air pressure could pop the sealant before it was fully cured. The factory would made this curing time and everything part of their process.

A tiny bubble in the polyurethane sealing dispenser would result in a gap in the dispensed sealant and a problem like this. The only fix is replacing the glass.

And no self-respecting company would remove A glass panel and reinstall the same one. The likelihood of later cracking is too high.
I think frameless door cars avoid what you described at the top since the windows don’t fully roll up until the door is fully closed. Many convertibles operate this way to prevent the pressure build up you describe

Still ZERO response from Tesla. I'm blown away.
Not sure when it all started, but it is a Sunday. I'd like to think this gets addressed early this week. Of all the QA problems I've seen reported, this is the worst. This is a PR nightmare for Tesla. I can see why Elon started patrolling the production line.
I hope you get it replaced. And I hope they can get back on track. I'm already fretting what to expect when I pick up next week.
I'll be testing the water seal with a hose as soon as I get mine home.