Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

random chitchat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no reason why anyone needs to own a semi-automatic weapon....
I'm a handgun owner, by the way.
Excellent summary. Thank you for expressing this with such clarity. I agree with you that the NRA has hijacked the 2nd amendment and, somehow, no one takes the time to actually read it.

I am also ex-law enforcement and a handgun owner.

Yeah but a dog house looks like home for you. I didn't even know there was a chit chat section. Now I'there. Wow, I'm moving up (or at least somewhere) in the world.
well, I live a very "human" lifestyle, so getting confined to a dog house with other dogs crimps my style...:p
Yeah, snippy section and chitchat session for the 1st time both within 24 hours! Must be doing something right! wonder if they offer free dog biscuits in these sections...

Reactions: SR22pilot
gif-the-it-crowd-suicide-391187.gif

Excellent summary. Thank you for expressing this with such clarity. I agree with you that the NRA has hijacked the 2nd amendment and, somehow, no one takes the time to actually read it.

I am also ex-law enforcement and a handgun owner.
On this side of the border, we always marvel at the amazing futurist gifts your forefathers must have had to write the second amendment to include such a wide variety of weapons. After all, they only had flintlocks and muzzle-loaders around that time, so to successfully anticipate automatic weapons and the need to be inclusive of them was really quite remarkable... LOL

I thought this was pretty good:

Reactions: Red Sage and ggr
Can we please stop pretending that the Second Amendment contains an unfettered right for everyone to buy a gun? It doesn’t, and it never has.

It specifically says that right exists in order to maintain “a well-regulated militia.” Even the late conservative Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia admitted those words weren’t in there by accident. Oh, and the Constitution doesn’t just say a “militia.” It says a “well-regulated” militia.

What did the Founding Fathers mean by that? We don’t have to guess because they told us. In Federalist No. 29 of the Federalist Papers, Alexander Hamilton explained at great length precisely what a “well-regulated militia” was, why the Founding Fathers thought we needed one, and why they wanted to protect it from being disarmed by the federal government.

What America’s gun fanatics won’t tell you

It is, therefore, with the most evident propriety, that the plan of the convention proposes to empower the Union "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS."

The Federalist Papers - Congress.gov Resources -

This comment is from a discussion on another thread.

People who are affluent exist in an environment that automatically relieves them of issues that ravages those who are not well off at all.

Does this make those who are not well off less competent? Possibly. Because there is very little time and opportunity for betterment under that horrible yoke of financial struggles. Remove that financial yoke and these impoverished folks have an exciting opportunity to spend their time and heart on things that would bring peace, joy and overall enjoyable life.

Of course I'm speaking of extremes here, however the same concept exists between moderately well off and moderately impoverished. "Overall" those who own an MS wouldn't have the same need to freely charge their cars. Affluence causes time to be more valuable than finance.
"Overall", those who will own an M3 will have more of a priority of finance than time. Possibly contributing to more of a desire to SC.

Reactions: Red Sage
"Overall" those who own an MS wouldn't have the same need to freely charge their cars. Affluence causes time to be more valuable than finance.
"Overall", those who will own an M3 will have more of a priority of finance than time. Possibly contributing to more of a desire to SC.
'Course, even this analysis is too simple. Here's an example of a countervailing factor that might come into play: the more-affluent might have jobs that enable them to work flexible hours, or to work from anywhere ("I'll just do this conf call while I sit at the Supercharger"), or even not to work at all. The less-affluent might be working to a clock in a fixed location and not have the flexible time to kill hanging out at a SC. It's well-known (isn't it?) that on average, the poor have less free time than the rich, working against the "time is money and my hourly billing rate is high" reasoning. Anyway, my point is not that one outcome or the other is provable or even more-supportable, my point is "it's complicated" and a thousand pages of "logical" argumentation is of less value than a single page of actual data from a decent study.

I thought you were going to go directly after the ridiculous assertion that rich people are nicer than poor people. I don't have the stomach for it myself, but now I'm going to have to compost all this popcorn I made. :-/

I thought you were going to go directly after the ridiculous assertion that rich people are nicer than poor people. I don't have the stomach for it myself, but now I'm going to have to compost all this popcorn I made. :-/

Yeah, where is @Pando ? I thought we might get some discussion on his original thesis:

“Your idea to "be courteous" might work for a limited, exclusive, high-end luxury item (such as Models S and X), where people who can afford them are in a higher income bracket and generally more educated. Once those 500,000 M3s hit the streets it will be a different ballgame altogether, and your idea of "being courteous" will be replaced with simple economics. There will be abusers left and right who will game the system as much as they can and don't give a hoot about being courteous.”

Because there have been many psychology studies on this, and they actually show the opposite of that—that more wealthy people tend to be less courteous and have less compassion for people. Here are some examples:

How Wealth Reduces Compassion

Rich People Have Less Compassion, Psychology Research Suggests

Psychology studies suggest rising wealth means more jerks in S.F.

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage and jgs
On this side of the border, we always marvel at the amazing futurist gifts your forefathers must have had to write the second amendment to include such a wide variety of weapons. After all, they only had flintlocks and muzzle-loaders around that time, so to successfully anticipate automatic weapons and the need to be inclusive of them was really quite remarkable... LOL

I thought this was pretty good:

Here is the response from Obama that Samantha Bee references in her piece:

Reactions: beeeerock
Status
Not open for further replies.