Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a single person has said it's illegal. I think you've missed the point of the discussion.
I'm sorry, Bonnie, that I appear to be opposing your viewpoint. I am not saying that it's just legal or not, I am saying what distinguishes a random delivery person or prospective customer from seeing my vehicle before I get to see or experience it. It does not detract from my own personal driving or owning experience...

Edit: if you are talking about being oblivious to your VIN/vehicle, then I think it's best to keep off these forums in general. [emoji6]

Last edited:
As someone who is expecting his X sooner than later. I'd certainly prefer that I was the first eyes (public) on the amazing beast. I certainly realize that that might not be the case. But, I do feel it would be nice to be able to experience it first hand, first. If other see it, so be it. If they post, oh well. VIN, ugh, but less Han photos. I want to see it first. The most important for me...

If anyone sees F00053, feel free to post pictures.

The only thing that would annoy me is if I saw pictures of the interior, as this would indicate to me that Tesla allowed other people inside my car. That would be uncool. I've also requested that they do minimal prep to the exterior, since the car will be going straight to the detailer for film, etc. So if you see it without any shipping plastic and looking clean, that would mean they forgot and prepped it anyway...

But reports of the car being spotted while in transit, etc? That's fun. It won't take away from the experience for me, but I understand how it might for others.

Last edited:
I personally would love it if my car/VIN was posted all over the forums when the Model 3's are rolling out.

It's not like the owners couldn't go down to the service center themselves, and be even more disappointed when Tesla employees themselves have the car right there while denying any status of its location. Is the person who saw their VIN upset that they saw a VIN, or are they upset that Tesla is taking so long to deliver their car and have final quality control steps at the service center prior to delivery?

Now if those VIN posts were associated with "The center let us test drive this X!" posts, I think a right to be angry would be warranted.

I draw the line at associating a person with a VIN or license plate. VINs and license plates are out in the public all the time. But connecting a person to a car through association is a personal attack to privacy and should not be done.

BTW last year there was a story about the tips celebrities were paying NYC taxi drivers by associating all sorts of disconnected, but publicly available information.

Public NYC Taxicab Database Lets You See How Celebrities Tip

While its possible to do this through many steps, we should not do this with a picture we take in one step and then post on the internet without the persons permission or assumed permission. Its OK if the in the past they have already provided the information publicly themselves (ie Bonnie posting she has Sig 02).

"Maybe, people could post the VIN (with no photos of the actual car) and ask the owner if they are okay to have it posted online or sent in a private message?"

That fits with my 'give the new owner the choice and don't make it for them' comment earlier.

Ok. Good to keep in mind. I doubt I'll be in this situation (other than transport and/or transport queue), but if it happens, I'll be sure to respect this. I was already wary of posting VINs because of prior complaints here. (That's why I asked you post-delivery, Bonnie, and assumed the answer was no, but was pleasantly surprised.)

I don't quite know how to handle the other version --- a line of cars in a queue or a snap of a transport vehicle with new vehicles on it not yet delivered --- where the VIN isn't obtainable due to various issues (a fence or no time to get to the transport before parting ways). Then it is a generic commodity in transport, like a stack of lumber on a train. If the recipient found out "that there are some cars in a queue or in transport" it wouldn't readily take away from their personal private attention to the matter, whether privacy concerns or timing of emotions. I think where this gets violated is if a pre-delivered vehicle is unique in some way, such as a specialty paint color or design, but so far those aren't common.

How about the converse? People who would WANT their VIN to be emblazoned everywhere, as documentary evidence, of their vehicle in transit? Those people would have to preemptively post their VIN as PLEASE PUBLISH or somesuch thing, which would require a specific thread here on the forum (which there isn't currently), or other searchable database.

I'm getting prejudiced from being in an area where I see 20 Teslas on a typical commute (yesterday); what if this were a place where there's no more than 20 Teslas in the whole state, or only 2 in the whole country? That would be a little bit different. And not just in the privacy side of things, but in the intrigue side too.

- - - Updated - - -

I draw the line at associating a person with a VIN or license plate. VINs and license plates are out in the public all the time. But connecting a person to a car through association is a personal attack to privacy and should not be done.

BTW last year there was a story about the tips celebrities were paying NYC taxi drivers by associating all sorts of disconnected, but publicly available information.

Public NYC Taxicab Database Lets You See How Celebrities Tip

While its possible to do this through many steps, we should not do this with a picture we take in one step and then post on the internet without the persons permission or assumed permission. Its OK if the in the past they have already provided the information publicly themselves (ie Bonnie posting she has Sig 02).

This is why I didn't put a GoPro in my car and post all the pics of Teslas driving during commute. That would add up to a privacy violation in aggregate. (There'd be over a hundred per week from me if I did it, many establishing precise patterns, even discerning speeds with fair statistical accuracy.)

These are community standards. The community standards back in the times where it was common to drive a horse not towing anything while sitting on the vehicle were different.

If the vehicle is positioned where this information can be seen from a public location, then it isn't private. Plates can easily be seen in this sort of situation, and with the right lens, the window stickers, too. VINs are harder, though if you can capture the window sticker the VIN is probably on there. People seem to think the association of the location of the vehicle, the selected features for that vehicle, and the VIN is somehow private information. If it's publicly observable, it isn't private. You shouldn't expect that it will remain private.

Various private and governmental organizations are keeping detailed plate/time/location records at this point. More and more will be coming online.

Tesla itself has demonstrated in the past with certain press cars that they have the ability to track the motions and actions of the vehicles they manufacture. Someone in my state was arrested this month after a hit and run collision where they fled the scene. The vehicle noticed the collision and called 911. While the caller denied anything was wrong, the dispatcher didn't buy it. Every year there are more recording devices for toll transponders, license plates, and driver images. Whatever residual privacy you have while driving now, it will be gone soon.

Forum rules are another matter. I don't have the seniority to weigh in here on that.

Wish I had some random X sightings to post about. I've read here that there is a model X in the nearby SC. Hopefully they'll have a test drive unit soon so I can book my own.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

I was going from Palo Alto to Cupertino this afternoon and decided to take a small detour to Tesla HQ to see if there was any Model X cars in the employee parking lot. No luck, just like the last two times... But when I got to this Asian grocery store in Cupertino, I was thrilled to see a blue Model X parked right next to the spot I just pulled into. The owner (a lady) was super nice and asked if I'd like to see how the falcon doors opened and closed. She even showed me how the second row seats worked. The car was beautiful and based on my brief observation the fitting was great. I think there's this "solid" feel about the build of this car that somehow got lost in most of the pictures/videos published so far. It just looked more "significant" in person, both from a quality and an aesthetics perspective, I guess. The falcon doors opened and closed a lot faster than I thought -- I would say there is little time wasted compared with traditional doors. It was a Founder Series with 6 white seats. She told me there's 700 Founder series cars and they've all been delivered, which I'm not sure is the case but wouldn't complete rule out either. Didn't want to look at the VIN number but I shoulda probably asked her about the VIN range. Anyway, here's some pictures. Happy holidays!
IMG_1844 (1).jpg
IMG_1835 (1).jpg
IMG_1839 (1).jpg
IMG_1840 (1).jpg
IMG_1842 (1).jpg
IMG_1843 (1).jpg
IMG_1847 (1).jpg

If the vehicle is positioned where this information can be seen from a public location, then it isn't private. Plates can easily be seen in this sort of situation, and with the right lens, the window stickers, too. VINs are harder, though if you can capture the window sticker the VIN is probably on there. People seem to think the association of the location of the vehicle, the selected features for that vehicle, and the VIN is somehow private information. If it's publicly observable, it isn't private. You shouldn't expect that it will remain private.

The discussion (at least originally) wasn't about what was private/public information. It was about monitoring our own behavior (without laws!!) and not removing a little of the *shine* of getting a new vehicle for a new owner. I understand some people think that doesn't matter. Kind of a 'too bad for them if it bothers them' situation. It would have bothered me, after waiting 4 years, to know other people were out seeing my vehicle before I could. Kind of like unwrapping my new Christmas bike and everyone taking pics and showing the pics around before I even got to touch it.

Again, not about what is public or private info or legal or illegal. Out of respect for a new owner, I'd let them have the first peek. Others here clearly feel differently. I'm not going to change that.