Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety after almost 5 yrs??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you would stop changing your story and moving the goal posts, we could have a real discussion.

Here was the first statement, made by @fcharland:
"I can tell you... Tesla navigation isn't programmed (or badly programmed) to estimate properly at cold temperatures."

So notice, the application being talked about was the estimate in navigation in the car. You quoted that line and replied to it:

"Agree here. Though Tesla claims temp is factored in I have learned it is way off."

I pointed out that the original statement is correct, that navigation doesn't figure in temperature, and Tesla has never claimed otherwise. Then, you just posted links and screenshots to an entirely different energy estimator program that is on Tesla's website--not the navigation in the car. That website estimator does have extra variables and accounts for temperature. You don't get to still say you're right when you change the subject.

Well, we are/were talking about temperature and navigation in regards to the estimated percentage to a destination. I guess I could go point to point and explain to you why you are again wrong but that is just a waste of my time. Happy trails

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and Naonak
I've had mine since March 2013 and 100K+ miles. I now use the trip graph whenever the weather seems dicey, other than that I don't really pay all that close attention. Before the trip graph, I used the 30 minute graph, and if the 30 minute graph showed higher than the rated miles, I wasn't that worried. Mostly I make sure I have more than enough SOC (according to the trip graph) to get to the next charing stop.

Well, we are/were talking about temperature and navigation in regards to the estimated percentage to a destination. I guess I could go point to point and explain to you why you are again wrong but that is just a waste of my time. Happy trails
Looks like you didn't like getting caught. Again, that is not what this was about, and you're trying to deflect to a different topic. Do I need to quote it for you again? It was where you falsely claimed that Tesla says temperature is included in the navigation estimate in the car, which I pointed out they have not ever said.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Unfortunately, we'll never know what a percentage display would have shown on my car when it powered down. I find it hard to believe that Tesla's software would show 19 miles with 0% capacity.

This may have been exactly what happened. A problematic cell (actually a block of several cells in parallel) may have unexpectedly dropped from a low voltage (about 7%) to min voltage. Once a cell (block) reaches minimum voltage, the battery must shut down immediately to save itself. However, I would expect the range to also recalculate to zero, like it did for Bjørn. IIRC,Tesla replaced Bjørn's HV battery after that incident (I should verify that).

Another possible cause is a problem with the 12 V battery and/or its charging system. I suggesting having Tesla Service check them both out. Ask them if you have the "gen 2" charging system, which has less issues with 12 V battery life.

Because things like this can happen, I like to plan to arrive with 20% or more. I adjust my speed, cabin temperature, charging stops, etc. to keep my arrival charge above 10% when things don't go per my plan.

GSP

I had a similar shutdown while traveling through Quebec this summer, except my SOC was at 16% when the sudden onslaught of messages began. Tesla helped arrange the tow, but wouldn't pay for it at the time because they said it wasn't related to a battery issue. Through telemetry the next day, a ranger I reached out to diagnosed a brick gone bad. Suddenly, everything was covered under the 8 year battery warranty. Tesla replaced the 85kWh battery and reimbursed my tow. I drove the car to NYC for the transplant after being flat-bedded 3 miles to the Magog supercharger, being careful to maintain 30% buffers along the way.

Sorry if I've missed any salient points made within this thread--there was just so much verbose victim-blaming, coulda-shoulda-woulda type pontificating, I had to skim. The car should never shut down as it did in your case. Your renewed lower max range is suggestive of an acute loss of a group of cells. My 12V was also a secondary casualty of the traction battery going to zero with a BMS that couldn't account for the sudden loss of capacity. It actually wasn't a casualty as the 12V functioned perfectly well after a jump (despite being 4 years old), which was required to get the car into tow mode. As I sat on the side of the highway waiting for a tow, midnight in a torrential rain in the lead up to a construction zone, I observed the SOC drop in several small leaps to zero over the next hour. Interestingly, the main screen went black as the 12V decayed, but door actuators and power windows all behaved as though there were a perfectly adequate 12V supporting them. Good news for my dog in the back. It also kept the hazards going as the semis whizzed by.

At 216 RM, I think you have a case for a new battery pack as well as tow reimbursement. I realize this thread is a bit of a zombie, but it sounds like you got mistreated. They know much more about what happened within the battery pack than you've been told. With over 230k miles in my two Teslas, with plenty of forays into all sorts of low SOCs in low temps, there is no degree of normal in what happened to you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H