Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In an ICE car, some people target to refuel at 1/4 tank, 1/8 tank, or when it says 0 miles left...
Yes, the actual tank at fueling varies, but there is a trigger. For me about 1/8 tank is when I start looking.

If you use superchargers, what is the equivalent percent where you typically start planning a recharge.. 10%, 20%, 30% ?
If you charge at home, think about if you just drove without charging. At what charge percentage would you feel compelled to start charging.

It's different if you're driving locally vs. on a road trip. On the freeways the Navigate on Autopilot plans the route and charging stops very intelligently to give you the best travel time, i.e. running it down freely to e.g. 10-20% and not topping up needlessly, so you're charging fastest, in the lower range, etc. And it depends on the supercharger spacing.

It's very different if you're not using NOA and picking charge points and levels manually. I guess then it's all on your brain, the supercharger locations, and even the time of day when they cost less (it's twice as expensive mid-day).

I don't ever see it as "how low do you tolerate", like with gasoline. The car charges way faster starting from 10%, so that's a good level to be at approaching a charger, but you have less power. And 75% might be critically low if your route takes you far from the next supercharger.

So it's nothing like an ICE car.

Driving locally I just like to keep it above 50% for more power. I'd be unhappy under 25%, so I guess I'll pick 20-25% on your survey.

I'll usually top up to 90% at home, or 220 miles out of 245 of the Medium Range battery. That's at the top of the "Daily" range, allegedly not stressing the battery but ready for a Zombie Apocalypse or other emergency.

Since I do not charge at home and I've been retired for almost 2 years and there was this pandemic thing going on, my driving has been drastically curtailed. Even so, I generally wait until my range gets down to somewhere around 150 miles (2018 LR RWD) before hitting a ChargePoint CHAdeMO or Supercharger station. I've gone as low as 100 a few times but that's not typical (which is the focus of the poll). My "full charge" range is calculated to be about 306 miles (I fill up to 90%) so I will vote 41-50% but I probably fall into a 46-55% category most of the time.

On long distance trips I usually follow the recommendations that the car's navigation suggests.

This works for me.
1624716928084.png

I top off when convenient, if you are doing a day trip then a 10 minute stop to go to the bathroom and add a hundred miles is all you need. I'm going to Vermont today, if I was into brinkmanship I could do this trip without a charge but I'm cautious so I'll hit the Brattleboro supercharger for 10 or 15 minutes on my way home.
If you are doing a coast to coast drive then the best option is to try and hit Superchargers at around 10% and then charge to the level where you can reach the next Supercharger with 10% left. That will give you the fastest charging speeds. Personnally I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than a 20% buffer.

Reactions: smartypnz
My threshold is 100%. Owners manual says plug it in if you're not driving, so that's what I do. At home I plug in when I'm parked. No matter what state of charge is. (I have max charge set to 80%)

On a road trip, I usually plan to arrive at the next charger in the 15 to 20% range. But I'm not at all concerned if consumption is higher than I was expecting and ETA drops to 5-10%. The closer I am to the charger the less I'm worried about a low ETA %. My concern is that if I planned to arrive with a super low state of charge, a storm may roll in when I'm 50 miles from a charger and reduce my actual range from 75 miles down to 45.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thp3
At home usually charge to 90% rarely gets below 60%. Travelling is a whole different strategy with multiple situations. Supercharge to 100% ?? Very rarely only in areas where next charger is at the limit. Usually supercharge to destination (next charger plus a buffer). Like to arrive with a low state cuz it charges quicker. I noticed a lot of folks charging to full, then meeting up with them at the next charger - maybe 100 miles. That's a waste of time cuz now they are charging at a low rate. I am there maybe 10 - 15 minutes.

My threshold is 100%. Owners manual says plug it in if you're not driving, so that's what I do. At home I plug in when I'm parked. No matter what state of charge is.

On a road trip, I usually plan to charge in the 15 to 20% range. But I'm not at all concerned if consumption is higher than I was expecting and ETA drops to 5-10%. The closer I am to the charger the less I'm worried about a low ETA %. My concern is that if I planned to arrive with a super low state of charge, a storm may roll in when I'm 50 miles from a charger and reduce my actual range from 75 miles down to 45.
This is our rule of thumb on the Model X since the BTX4/5/6 family of packs seems to dislike being taken below 10% (Supercharges slow until it picks up 2-4%)

Question for all the great people here...

My daily commute in my new M3LR is taking about 80% of the battery (varies a couple % on the wind). Is it better to use the battery from 90% to 10% (not much cushion when weather gets colder in Texas) or use the battery from 100% to 20%?
90-10 is better, but I agree with KenC that the best would be to charge somewhere. If you use 80% in summer, you will not make it without charging in cold Texas winters.

I still don't have my wall charger hooked up so I depend on 120v/12a charging at 6rmph. I also get the rebate from ConEd for charging between 12am and 8am. I don't like there to be more than 2 nights worth of charging to get back to 90% total charge so I let it go down maybe 100 miles before I recharge. There are superchargers nearby though if I need a quick fill so I don't sweat it either. This is all for city driving. For trips I start at 100% range and usually one stop on the way up and one on the way back on 200+ mile trips. This gives me enough range while at my destination to poke around as necessary and not worry about it. And so far all of my destinations are within 5 miles of a supercharger anyway.

I charge at home, and charge the car every night, no matter how much I have driven, to 90%. Since the manual says there is no reason to "run it down to charge it back up", to me there is no reason to NOT charge it, if charging is available (as in, you charge at home, and the car is at home).

If you cant, you cant, but there isnt any particular reason to NOT charge it every day. People wait to re fuel a gas car because its inconvenient. If everyone had a gas pump in their garage, that they could simply stick in the gas tank, and it would re fuel automatically for them so they had a full tank all the time, almost everyone would do that.

We have that, so I get really confused when people have it available, but dont. Note, I get that some people dont have home charging, some people have free work charging etc. thats not what I am talking about. I am talking about people who have home charging available, but simply wait to run it down to charge it back up.

In a cold place it could be interresting to let it go down a bit.
If you set it for 80% for instance, as soon as the battery cools of from charging, it will go down a bit hence starting to charge again. Then it will spend some time warming up the battery to charge...etc.
Could be better to charge it to 80% and once it is charged, set it back to 75 in order to avoid frequent warming up sequences. Might save you a few bucks !:)