Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It did say in the app when I first plugged it in that it would be 311 miles then it dropped to 308, 300, back to 308 and now 294.
Normal extrapolation error. Unrelated to your vehicle range variation.
and its stating my new 100% miles is now 294.
Normal initial capacity loss. Some people have more than others. These estimates could also recover somewhat (though it’s not guaranteed!).

But 75kWh, down from 80.6kWh after 11k miles is not too unusual. Maybe lower than average but there is not a lot of data.

My advice is to immediately stop worrying about it and enjoy your car. Seriously. The number will go all over the place. At 80% charge I get 208 miles. When I got my car 2 years ago it would be 248 miles. I've driven 13k miles. I care not one jot as those 13k miles have been fun, fun, fun and I expect a lot more miles of fun too!

When you charge your car km or miles are going up faster than percentage. So for the same percentage value you'll have different miles or km values. So when you extrapolate by dividing miles by percentages, you'll have a few miles variation. That said I think those batteries are degrading faster than I thought.
I was told 3 years ago when i bought my car that during the 1 st year, you lose 5% and 1% per year after that. In my case it is 5% per year with only a total of 20k km on the car.

Reactions: MaxRSM
2018 M3 LR here. I am also at 275 when at 100% SOC. While im a little disappointed when looking at the range my real world usage has been fantastic. I have taken 2 road trips the past couple of months and have had a great time. I have had STATS App since I bought the vehicle (used) and had one initial drop but it has since stabilized.
Battery Health.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Read one of the other 7300 threads about this

Unless a range question asks something very novel or different (which almost none of them do), in the model 3 subforum, they will ALL end up in this thread I moved the post you referenced to (the master thread on range), to keep this question as consolidated as possible.

Range update
Two and a half years and 40k miles later, my LR DM 3's "maximum" range is approximately 290 (at 100% SOC) and 262 miles at "full Daily, edge of Trip" (90%) mark.
11/8/21. Eight months ago, I posted "range" display of my 2018 Model 3 LR (262 miles range at 90% and 290 miles at 100% SOC). Now, at 58000 miles and 3 years of driving around / commuting around the Bay Area, mostly level 2 charging to 90% and once a month charging to 100% and driving it immediately, my displayed range at 90% is around 254 miles (280 mi was the original 90%) and my 100% SOC is 284 miles. So, at the 3 year mark, approximately 9% degradation of battery capacity, all other things being equal...
And stilln 100% fun to drive!!!

• Funny
i have noticed an interesting behaviour over the last.... 2 to 3 updates or so...

the car seems to now take OVC readings and recalibrate preferably WITHOUT sleeping and by keeping the car awake.
I have good data on this as i often keep my car at 50-60% for days before doing i.e. a charge to 80% or so which is usually followed by a recalibration.

In the past you had to let the car sleep for 3h with occasionally a minor recalibration happen after a few minutes in park.

The new trend is for the car to stay in park for exactly one hour following which a recalibration takes place:

i.e. today 80% (357.18km) to 82% 362.53km after 59min of park, then sleep.

(this is not a total kwh/range recalibration, im talking about calibrating the true SOC of the battery)

• Informative
My advice is to immediately stop worrying about it and enjoy your car. Seriously. The number will go all over the place. At 80% charge I get 208 miles. When I got my car 2 years ago it would be 248 miles. I've driven 13k miles. I care not one jot as those 13k miles have been fun, fun, fun and I expect a lot more miles of fun too!

Its worrysome when you are always close to running out of charge on your trip though. Thats the issue.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Hopefully your BMS is currently misestimating by a fair amount. This is a fair bit below average result, after just 13k miles - you have 18% capacity loss on your 2019 vehicle. 260 miles at 100%, ~63.7kWh, vs your original ~77.8kWh. (16% on rated miles, but that is not accurate for this vehicle since the degradation threshold is 76kWh.)

Fortunately Superchargers are becoming more numerous.

ive been saying this for a while. theres lots of factors affecting degradation but the most is probably the battery lottery followed by ambient storage temperature.

How does ambient storage temperature affect battery degradation? I would imagine that really hot temperatures are worse? Or is it worse if it sits outside in Canada or Minnesota every winter?

Just curious because I don't have a garage and live in northeast US.

Hopefully your BMS is currently misestimating by a fair amount. This is a fair bit below average result, after just 13k miles - you have 18% capacity loss on your 2019 vehicle. 260 miles at 100%, ~63.7kWh, vs your original ~77.8kWh. (16% on rated miles, but that is not accurate for this vehicle since the degradation threshold is 76kWh.)

Fortunately Superchargers are becoming more numerous.
I should state its a P on 20s so that chops off some!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
How does ambient storage temperature affect battery degradation? I would imagine that really hot temperatures are worse? Or is it worse if it sits outside in Canada or Minnesota every winter?

Lower temperatures are better. Some people store their flashlight batteries in the fridge to preserve them. For all the sophisticated management systems built around them, Tesla battery cells are similar to flashlight batteries.

There are exceptions and caveats to everything of course: don't run it down to 1% charge and *then* put it in cold storage, for instance. But generally colder is better. Elon once made a flippant tweet (does he make any other kind?) saying cool climates are ideal and Teslas in Seattle will last "forever".

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
I should state its a P on 20s so that chops off some!
Ah, ok, so it is a 2020 Performance bought in November 2019 or so? If so, the 248 at 80% was before the constant update. So the actual equivalent apples-to-apples starting point would have been 239 at 80% (299 at 100%). So that would mean 67.6kWh now down from 77.8kWh which is 13% loss which is much more typical though still a bit (by a couple %) on the high side for the mileage.

Ah, ok, so it is a 2020 Performance bought in November 2019 or so? If so, the 248 at 80% was before the constant update. So the actual equivalent apples-to-apples starting point would have been 239 at 80% (299 at 100%). So that would mean 67.6kWh now down from 77.8kWh which is 13% loss which is much more typical though still a bit (by a couple %) on the high side for the mileage.
Yes its a fair way down but I'm thinking a recalibration might help...I've never done one!

The new trend is for the car to stay in park for exactly one hour following which a recalibration takes place:

i.e. today 80% (357.18km) to 82% 362.53km after 59min of park, then sleep.

Interesting, I'm glad you said this... I have noticed the same and yes it's a recent change.

I've only ever noticed an upward change, for example today it went from 60% to 62% after one hour. This is repeatable, the battery is cooling down throughout so I presumed it was not temperature related.

My car sits outside in Maine for the last 3yrs and it's doing just fine. Same 100% range as when I got it. Today's range estimate according to Stats was 310.4miles.

I have a basic charging question for those of you that have had a Tesla for an extended period of time. Everywhere I read there are posts that say when you are at home, you should keep your car plugged in and charging at ALL times, preferably staying between the magic 20% - 80% range to keep from causing any permanent damage to the battery.

My question is this, the distance I travel to work is just enough to where if I were to charge my Model 3 to 90%, I could actually make the drive twice on one charge and stay slightly above the magic 20% range. So is it harder on the battery to charge to 90% and charge every other day or charge to only 80% and charge daily?

It would cut the number of actual charges in half but it would also cause me to charge the battery to 90% which according to everywhere I have read is not recommended on a frequent basis. Thoughts? Any real world experience on this to know if charging to 90% is actually deterimental to the battery?

I guess I am asking what is harder on the battery, charging to the higher capacity (90% vs 80%) or charging more frequently (daily vs every two days)…

My car sits outside in Maine for the last 3yrs and it's doing just fine. Same 100% range as when I got it. Today's range estimate according to Stats was 310.4miles.
Crazy that the streak continues. This is such an outlier it really makes me wonder if something is wrong! Has anyone heard of anyone else who has not seen any rated range degradation in 3 years? (In this case it is possible that about 2-3% capacity has been lost but that would still be really good, obviously.)

• Funny
I have a basic charging question for those of you that have had a Tesla for an extended period of time. Everywhere I read there are posts that say when you are at home, you should keep your car plugged in and charging at ALL times, preferably staying between the magic 20% - 80% range to keep from causing any permanent damage to the battery.

My question is this, the distance I travel to work is just enough to where if I were to charge my Model 3 to 90%, I could actually make the drive twice on one charge and stay slightly above the magic 20% range. So is it harder on the battery to charge to 90% and charge every other day or charge to only 80% and charge daily?

It would cut the number of actual charges in half but it would also cause me to charge the battery to 90% which according to everywhere I have read is not recommended on a frequent basis. Thoughts? Any real world experience on this to know if charging to 90% is actually deterimental to the battery?

I guess I am asking what is harder on the battery, charging to the higher capacity (90% vs 80%) or charging more frequently (daily vs every two days)…

Either charge to 80% or 90% (thats up to you) but there is no benefit to running it down to charge it back up.