Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where can I capture the rated range? And I must apologize. I just checked again and these were taken at 373 km not 377 as previously mentioned.

It’s the number next to the battery you are quoting (remaining rated range).

If you can be troubled to take one more picture showing those three numbers simultaneously (remaining rated range next to battery, recent efficiency, projected range), we can get the final number for your car. Rather than a guess.

If we use the 373 rated mile number the constant and your battery capacity go up by 1%. That would make it match prior reports.

211Wh/rmi and 53.8kWh.

This is slightly more energy than the 2020 SR+, I think. So you are good. Now you can follow the tips here to keep it healthy, and most importantly you know where you started. You will lose range. Unpredictable how much. And then it will slow down.

It’s the number next to the battery you are quoting (remaining rated range).

If you can be troubled to take one more picture showing those three numbers simultaneously (remaining rated range next to battery, recent efficiency, projected range), we can get the final number for your car. Rather than a guess.

If we use the 373 rated mile number the constant and your battery capacity go up by 1%. That would make it match prior reports.

211Wh/rmi and 53.8kWh.

This is slightly more energy than the 2020 SR+, I think. So you are good. Now you can follow the tips here to keep it healthy, and most importantly you know where you started. You will lose range. Unpredictable how much. And then it will slow down.

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation again. I really appreciate you taking your time to explain this all! As requested I've attached another picture where I think I've captured all 3? Hope its right this time!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 10.34.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 10.34.33 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 166
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Ah ok, thanks for the explanation again. I really appreciate you taking your time to explain this all! As requested I've attached another picture where I think I've captured all 3? Hope its right this time!

Yep, that's right. In conjunction with your 100% of 409rkm, you have:

149Wh/km*328km / 373rkm = 131Wh/rkm (211Wh/rmi), and a capacity of 131Wh/rkm*409rkm = 53.6kWh

Everything is normal. Your battery health is excellent.

To see how you are doing, just track your rated km going forward. The only caveat, as I mentioned, is that they're likely (at some point!) going to scale your rated km UP by about the ratio 263mi/254mi = 1.035, 3.5%. That gives you no more range, it is just bookkeeping. It will only happen once. And then it will never change again; the final constant will probably be 126/127Wh/rkm, or 204Wh/rmi.

So, assuming you see that actually happen at some point, you'll need to readjust your "starting" rated km to 423rkm. And then ratio that with whereever you are at at that point. That's your battery health. It's very simple.

Last edited:
The first was the day I picked up, then a back and forth trip today. It looks like I am loosing an average of 24.5% of my battery life. All drives were similar, mid 30 degree temps, slight precipitation, never really going more than 5 miles over the speed limit, utilizing cruise control most of the time as the route was mostly freeway driving. Currently the car has 2,610 miles.

The first trip I had 220 miles (90% charged) when I started driving, I drove 132 miles, only had 48 miles left, a loss of 18.18%
The second trip I had 243 miles (100% charged) when I started driving, I drove 162.5 miles, only had 21 miles left, a loss of 24.49%
The third trip I had 213 miles (about 95% charged) when I started driving, I drove 151 miles, only had 7 miles left, a loss of 31.60%

So, I guess I have a couple of questions-

1 is why is a 100% charge actually about 8% less than what my distance is supposed to be? Seems like the answer here is that some of the updates are playing with this, but that does not seem a valid answer since it seems to be that way since December 2019?
2 is why am I getting such varied results? I could see if I was going from 30 degree to 80 degree days or not taking the same route or there were other factors that were very different, but that is just not the case.

I do have a service appointment next week for this, some fogging in camera chambers and some body panels that are just way, way off line but I want to be prepared for what they will tell me on this matter. To be honest, unless you only go to the local store and back a car with 145 mile range just seems pretty unrealistic... But, I love my car so I am hoping there is just something I am missing.

Hey Alan, I have a semi-related question to range and battery consumption: Does the M3 LR operate both motors constantly (4WD)? Or just one primarily (and which one), and the other only when needed (AWD)? And in addition, how do the motors transmit power to the wheels on the same axle: Is it like an open differential, where basically only one wheel has traction? Or like a Torsen, where both have? Put a different way, if you were to floor the throttle (with T/C off) on a dusty street, how many tire marks would you see? 2, 3, or 4? Was looking for info on that, but nothing. If you happen to have a link, I'd greatly appreciate it :). Thank you.

We bought a 2020 Tesla 3 in September. We bought the Long Range, NOT the Performance. Long Range is supposed to have a range of 255 miles. I only get 215. I see the Performance gets 215. Do you think Tesla accidentally gave me the Performance version? Thanks.
Yep, quite a few people have been getting the P stealth model, by accident, from looking at the length of these threads.

I am seeing a steeper degradation. I have a model 3 standard range plus 2020. It started with 250 miles fully charged(trip) and daily charge of 232. Now I can only charge up to 208 and trip charge up to 231. That’s almost 10 percent degradation in less than a year. I have seen the degradation consistently over the last 11 months or so. Is this the general observation? Tesla warranties replacement at 70 percent of charge retention. At this rate if absolute miles per charge were to be used I would hit that in 3 years. Anyone running into similar issues?

I am seeing a steeper degradation. I have a model 3 standard range plus 2020. It started with 250 miles fully charged(trip) and daily charge of 232. Now I can only charge up to 208 and trip charge up to 231. That’s almost 10 percent degradation in less than a year. I have seen the degradation consistently over the last 11 months or so. Is this the general observation? Tesla warranties replacement at 70 percent of charge retention. At this rate if absolute miles per charge were to be used I would hit that in 3 years. Anyone running into similar issues?

You need to have your car fully sleep without any interruptions so that it can balance the battery- my March 2019 SR+ started at 240 miles new. Today 22,698 miles later and only down -8 miles at 232 mile range. Take the battery down to 30% and charge to 95%. This time turn off the Sentry mode & Climate controls also remove all 3rd party apps like ABRP and Teslafi so that these apps don’t poll the car and wake it from its deep sleep. Last, don’t view the car via the app, this will wake it also. This is what I do at least once a month is take down to 30% and back to 95% and let it sleep during this time. Only -7 to -8 mile drop is pretty good.

Fred

You need to have your car fully sleep without any interruptions so that it can balance the battery- my March 2019 SR+ started at 240 miles new. Today 22,698 miles later and only down -8 miles at 232 mile range. Take the battery down to 30% and charge to 95%. This time turn off the Sentry mode & Climate controls also remove all 3rd party apps like ABRP and Teslafi so that these apps don’t poll the car and wake it from its deep sleep. Last, don’t view the car via the app, this will wake it also. This is what I do at least once a month is take down to 30% and back to 95% and let it sleep during this time. Only -7 to -8 mile drop is pretty good.
Couple points. That process has nothing to do with battery cell balance. It’s all about providing accurate battery voltages for BMS calibration. An imbalanced pack would calibrate the same way.

There’s no need to turn off TeslaFi. TeslaFi doesn’t wake the car from sleep; it just pings the Tesla servers to see if the car is awake or not.

Here’s an example of my car sleeping all day, unmolested by TeslaFi.
7BBDDC98-8174-419D-8CAF-EAF7AFEB83BB.jpeg

Hey all

I'm facing an issue of which I'm curious if one of you experienced the same.

I just charged my new Tesla 3 battery up to it's 90% limit. The last time I did that it showed a range of 406km. Now it shows 320km. That's a big discrepancy for the same recharge.

Anyone familiair with this fenomenon and any idea why or how this happens?

Thanks,
Marcus

Attachments

• 20201224_174626.jpg
    20201224_174626.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 81
This is what I do at least once a month is take down to 30% and back to 95% and let it sleep during this time. Only -7 to -8 mile drop is pretty good.
Indeed, but what do you do the rest of the month??? I thought you always charged it to 95% and let it drain to 30%, but apparently you only do that once a month. Curious what you do the rest of the month, since you're obviously doing something right to have that little degradation :). Thx.

Indeed, but what do you do the rest of the month??? I thought you always charged it to 95% and let it drain to 30%, but apparently you only do that once a month. Curious what you do the rest of the month, since you're obviously doing something right to have that little degradation :). Thx.
The rest of the month I charge to 90% and don’t charge again for 3 to 4 days so when it gets down to 1/2 charge due to drives and Sentry mode usually when the car gets down 90 to 120 miles left for my car, I charge again to 90%

Fred

Thanks brother. So that's about 40% charge left??? Just to have a reference :). It might take me a lot more than 4 days to drive 120 miles some weeks. Just curious if there's an optimal time factor I need to consider too, like maybe when battery gets to 40% charge (or whatever you tell me), OR 1 week, whichever comes first. Thx.

My 2018 LR RWD (310 miles new, 325 mile update) had been rock solid at 313 miles up until this past October and has trended to about 300 miles over the past two months. Today I woke up to the reported 100% charge being 253 miles.

Is this a case of the app displaying expected range based on the past consumption, miscalibration, or sudden capacity loss?

From my experience, the number on the app has always been rated range, not projected range. If it's simply displaying projected range then I have no issues other than wishing that it would state "projected range at current temperatures".

Yes, I realize that my battery is cold, but the range number has never cared about that before.
swfIupa.jpg