Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, 251 at 90%

So basically you've gone from ~269rmi20 to ~251rmi20 at 90%. That's 7.5% capacity loss. This assumes your battery is very warm (it's 44F in Gig Harbor). (Remember 279rmi (2019) and 269rmi20 are the same.)

I think you're fine. Probably somewhat below average for a vehicle this age (mileage?), but also normal (within the typical range). If you want to see what it really is, Supercharge from 5% to 90% (or even 100% if you have time) and check again. But I'd guess you'll be in the 6% to 7.5% capacity loss range.

My capacity loss after two years and 21k miles is about 9%.

Last edited:
Here's my data from my Model S
upload_2021-1-5_12-37-34.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
You're doing better than me. Mine has been dropping quickly over the last month. I was getting 225-235 miles at 80% a month ago. I made an appointment to have the service look at it.
Oct 2018 Model 3 AWD LR
40,000 miles
The full Charge limit is 260
80% charge gets me 208 miles
Charge to 80% almost every day, rarely use supercharging.

I charge to 90% daily (also an Oct 2018 AWD LR) and have been hovering around 287-289 miles showing for a full charge over the last few months. In the summer I was up around 302 on a full charge.

(moderator note: question on supercharging degrading battery moved to master range thread)

True or False? I am new to the Tesla world and i have heard both that it does, and does not . Please let me know friends.

Thanks!

Feel free to read through this thread about model 3 range loss over time and how to maintain the battery. Plenty of reading for you in this one.

2021 model 3 Long Range. 90% charge shows 315 mile range. Car is driven an average of 30 miles per day. My wife was the one who drove it off the lot at the delivery center in Burbank, the last thing she was told was keep it plugged in if you’re not driving it. It seems to me with the low mileage that is being put on daily that it would make more sense to run it down to 30% charge and then charge it to 80%? Does it actually make any difference which way it’s done? I am trying to get her used to seeing percentage of battery left instead of miles left. Am I overthinking this?

(moderator note: moved post into master thread on this topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
2021 model 3 Long Range. 90% charge shows 315 mile range. Car is driven an average of 30 miles per day. My wife was the one who drove it off the lot at the delivery center in Burbank, the last thing she was told was keep it plugged in if you’re not driving it. It seems to me with the low mileage that is being put on daily that it would make more sense to run it down to 30% charge and then charge it to 80%? Does it actually make any difference which way it’s done? I am trying to get her used to seeing percentage of battery left instead of miles left. Am I overthinking this?
Actually, lots of shallow charges are better for battery longevity than fewer deeper charges. Of course, we're talking thousands of charges, so years and years worth, which might not make much difference for your average owner.

I drive about 30miles when I take it out, and I keep it always plugged in. My SOC limit is only 60%, except when I'm on a trip, then I will charge to 80+%. After 2 years, my estimated range is the same as when I got it. Totally anecdotal, but it works for me.

I just came home, and what's nice about using 60% with a regular 30 mile trip, is it's 50% when I get home, and I can toggle the indicator from percent to miles, and it just showed 156miles for 50%, Since there's rounding obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean 312 for 100%, but it's around that, which is zero estimated deg after 2 years.

(moderator note: moved post into master thread on this topic)

Now that I have moved the post to the correct location, if you care about what tesla advises (in print, not just the service center), its to leave it plugged in.

This thread I have moved your new thread into contains pages and pages of peoples opinions. If you want "simple" its "leave it plugged in when not using it" which is what tesla advises in print, in the manual, in a section titled "about the battery" which you can find if you search the tesla manual.

Actually, lots of shallow charges are better for battery longevity than fewer deeper charges. Of course, we're talking thousands of charges, so years and years worth, which might not make much difference for your average owner.

I drive about 30miles when I take it out, and I keep it always plugged in. My SOC limit is only 60%, except when I'm on a trip, then I will charge to 80+%. After 2 years, my estimated range is the same as when I got it. Totally anecdotal, but it works for me.

I just came home, and what's nice about using 60% with a regular 30 mile trip, is it's 50% when I get home, and I can toggle the indicator from percent to miles, and it just showed 156miles for 50%, Since there's rounding obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean 312 for 100%, but it's around that, which is zero estimated deg after 2 years.

What's your odometer reading?

What's your odometer reading?
14,000 miles. Not much for two years+, but that’s the way it is now. Both Stats and ABRP indicate no deg or change in estimated range either. I park outdoors, in a carport, so it’s not babied in a heated garage or anything.
FBEB8389-55AF-4046-AD6F-D47C32795456.jpeg

ABRP is interesting, cause it also calibrates your efficiency at 65mph, and it tells you how far off your speedometer is. Obviously I have winter tires on. 255Wh/mi for winter tires in the freezing cold at 65mph is pretty good!

177miles at 57% is 310miles, just like when I got it.

14,000 miles. Not much for two years+, but that’s the way it is now.

Thats awesome....but also pretty low mileage. What’s you’re lifetime wh/mile? Mileage is part of the story. IMO to have the most accurate comparisons we need to factor in lifetime wh/mile or total kWh used well....and is one of the things not often asked or stated. 14k at say 255 wh/mile isn’t the same as 14k at 310 wh/mile.

Latest data point for me. I’m at 30.5K now after almost 2y4m, lifetime 310 wh/mile. 90% charge is around 260...figure ~7% degradation. Will see what the actual 100% is this weekend when I go on a ski trip.

Thats awesome....but also pretty low mileage. What’s you’re lifetime wh/mile? Mileage is part of the story. IMO to have the most accurate comparisons we need to factor in lifetime wh/mile or total kWh used well....and is one of the things not often asked or stated. 14k at say 255 wh/mile isn’t the same as 14k at 310 wh/mile.

Latest data point for me. I’m at 30.5K now after almost 2y4m, lifetime 310 wh/mile. 90% charge is around 260...figure ~7% degradation. Will see what the actual 100% is this weekend when I go on a ski trip.
Last I looked 243Wh/mi. So, you've used 3x as many kWh as me, which probably does correlate better with degradation than time.

Been reading about battery degradation and range loss for years now. I've seen a lot of energy focused on the charging techniques used. While charging to 100% is absolutely bad for the battery if done for long periods of time, I'm beginning to suspect others factors are significant. I have no supporting data beyond what my gut tells me after reading hundreds of posts on this subject...

I think the biggest factor for battery degradation (assuming you DON'T charge to 100% regularly) is how you drive. Specifically, how often you accelerate very quickly, or how often you subject your pack to rapid discharge. The battery is stressed when you hammer the accelerator by delivering huge kW output. WAY higher than even supercharging. LR delivers 211kW, AWD 258kW, and Performance 340kW INSTANTANEOUSLY. So, extrapolating, the theoretical rate to deplete the ENTIRE 75 kWh pack at full acceleration is 21, 17, and 13 minutes, respectively. So, you can see just how much faster energy can be drawn away from the pack vs even supercharging it. So, since I've seen most of the pack/range degradation from the performance models, I'm feeling the allowable pack discharge rate that Tesla picked to allow crazy fast cars can cause noticeable degradation if heavily exercised. Note, I believe that these vehicles will almost all degrade within the allowable amount of the warranty.

This is my theory, so I invite opinions and data to prove or disprove it!

Reactions: dcm3
Yeah high C rates are bad over the long term, both in charge and discharge btw.

Data point from myself: current 100% charge is hovering around 290-291 rated miles (it was 310 when new) with over 34k miles on the odometer.
Lifetime consumption is a bit over 300 Wh/mi, including several track days and over 150 supercharging sessions (many recent ones at 250kW stations).

So I consider my degradation to be pretty good overall, given the conditions my battery pack has been exposed to.

Hey guys, 2 quick questions before the 2 thread-related ones below them. First, an unrelated one, since I'm in the middle of a long trip: I assume there's no issue supercharging in the rain, correct? I'm in Austin, and need to charge to 95% before leaving tomorrow, and it won't stop raining, reportedly. Nobody has covered superchargers, so it should be okay, but just need to know if I need to take any special steps or something. And second, need to charge to 95% for tomorrow's leg of the trip. No issues if the car sleeps overnight at 95%, right? Thank you.

My other question is that supposedly charging to 100% until the car disconnects (which supposedly can take 10 to 20 minutes, which is when the battery is supposedly 'balancing' itself ), every 3 months or so. Does that sound right to you?

And finally, that the ideal state of charge for the battery is reportedly 60%, so the best strategy is to limit charge to 70%, and discharge to 50%. Or if too little, limit charge to 80%, and discharge to 40%. I could do the former, since we don't drive much, but also curious what the experts here say :). And then do the 100% charge, to re-balance the battery properly. Thx.

nd finally, that the ideal state of charge for the battery is reportedly 60%, so the best strategy is to limit charge to 70%, and discharge to 50%.

60% is best. I have a mid-range, just passed 30,000 miles/2 yrs. 100% when it was new was 264 miles. My last 100% charge last week was at 262 miles. I have set the charge to to 60% every night and do 100% once every 3 months.

Thank you guys. I will have to charge to 95% tonight, since we need to leave very early, and it'll be a very long driving day tomorrow (600+ miles, and super windy, so 2+ hours of charging, according to ABRP, so 90%+ at every one of the 4 superchargers). I'd probably charge it to 95% before leaving if I was driving alone, but don't want to be dealing with an angry wife all day :). It shouldn't cause any issues, I hope. Car is in the low 50s now, so less than when traveling (30% to 90%).

• Funny
Reactions: KenC