Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR rated at 322 and my LR gets 320-322 miles at 100% SOC.

You're the only report I know of with a 2020 LR AWD vehicle with ~320 miles at 100% SoC. You got a picture? And what software version do you have? If you can, take a picture of the Energy -> Consumption screen showing rated miles remaining (> 100), projected range, and recent efficiency (left side of graph), all three numbers with three significant figures. Those three numbers concurrently captured would be interesting to see for your vehicle.

I haven't paid attention the last few days, so maybe someone else has reported at this point - but my impression is that most 2020 AWD owners still see 310.

There is a thread about it, not limited to discussions about P vehicles (there are perhaps two other threads about those!):

Range increase (split from Master Thread: 2019.40.2)

The P and +/- stuff really needs to stop....

Note that the 2020 3P with 18" wheels is rated at 322 miles (and is voluntarily derated to that value as it is apparently more efficient than the 2020 AWD with 18" wheels). The 2020 3P with 20" wheels is rated at 298 miles (though who knows what it will end up displaying...).

Last edited:
What is best for battery life? Using the high end or the low end of the charge range, assuming a slow (3kW or 7kW charge)?

Charge to 85%, drive to 10%
Charge to 90%, drive till 15%
Charge to 95%, drive to 20%?

This a common known trip for me, with a couple of bail-out charge options so the 'reserve' is not a concern and the 75% utilisation is accurate.

What is best for battery life? Using the high end or the low end of the charge range, assuming a slow (3kW or 7kW charge)?

This a common known trip for me, with a couple of bail-out charge options so the 'reserve' is not a concern and the 75% utilisation is accurate.
My best uneducated guess : from 90 to 15. Charging often above 90% will give you a warning. 90% is usually recommended by Tesla.

Reactions: tsh2
Hello everyone,

I've had my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD since end of July of this year. I've drove almost 10,000 miles, never used super charger, charged to 100% (x4 times), and maintained between 80% - 90% charge. Looking at my range currently on my app, it says that my range at 100% is only at 318 miles.

Estimated Range: 325 miles
Current Estimated Range: 318 miles
325 - 318 = 7 miles
7/325 = 0.022 x 100 = 2.2%

It seems as the range decreased by 2%. As I am unfamiliar as a new owner and there seems to be a lot unclear information. Just reaching out to see if any of you experienced owners have seen similar results. My range is not causing me issues, I'm just curious if this is normal.

Thanks!

This is the 100th thread on this topic. Mine varies a lot. I have stated range of 310. At 100% it bounces from 310 to 294 and back up. Most commonly mine settles around 270 at 90%. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Definitely more than 100
Hello everyone,

I've had my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD since end of July of this year. I've drove almost 10,000 miles, never used super charger, charged to 100% (x4 times), and maintained between 80% - 90% charge. Looking at my range currently on my app, it says that my range at 100% is only at 318 miles.

Estimated Range: 325 miles
Current Estimated Range: 318 miles
325 - 318 = 7 miles
7/325 = 0.022 x 100 = 2.2%

It seems as the range decreased by 2%. As I am unfamiliar as a new owner and there seems to be a lot unclear information. Just reaching out to see if any of you experienced owners have seen similar results. My range is not causing me issues, I'm just curious if this is normal.

Thanks!

There is a stickied thread at the top of this section where people are posing their experiences with this. Thats a good place to start.

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz
My P3D charges to 179 miles at 100% charge. 11k miles, supercharged 10 times. charged to 85% each night.

Tesla says it's normal. They insist that the range on the batter gauge is based on your Wh/M over the past 1k miles. My Lifetime consumption is 281 Wh/Mile. I drive with a very light foot.

long range AWD non performance 2019 that I picked up on May 1st of 2019 and I have 24,701 miles. I’m considering calling in a service call has anyone else lost this much range?

80% I get 238 miles
90% I get 258 miles

I get about the same #'s as you. LR AWD non-P w/ 22k miles. I used to get 279 mi at 90%. It's been like this for about 6+ mo. I've tried all of the different re-balancing suggestions. None have helped.

I'd do 85 to 10, if 10 is a safe buffer, since it's a known trip for you. Bias to the lower side seems safer than the higher side, if you know what I mean. 95% SOC is more likely to have a deg effect than 10% on your battery, as long as you can plug in soon afterward.

Reactions: tsh2
Wow that seems significant. Less than 200 at a full 100%??
My P3D charges to 179 miles at 100% charge. 11k miles, supercharged 10 times. charged to 85% each night.

Tesla says it's normal. They insist that the range on the batter gauge is based on your Wh/M over the past 1k miles. My Lifetime consumption is 281 Wh/Mile. I drive with a very light foot.

long range AWD non performance 2019 that I picked up on May 1st of 2019 and I have 24,701 miles. I’m considering calling in a service call has anyone else lost this much range?

80% I get 238 miles
90% I get 258 miles

If you read up a few posts you will see I am at 258 at 90% charge and have ~18K miles on my car. Ive been at 258 since around 15K miles. Battery forms a solid electrolyte layer when you first charge it which becomes thicker to a point, reducing charge capacity. If the battery is well managed thermally, this is asymptotic and stabilizes around 6-10% of capacity loss in the first 10-20K miles of charging and this slows dramatically. My guess is you will not see much more range loss over the next 80K miles.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.