Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Copying and pasting this from another thread:

My car just started experiencing SOC issues as well. My max charge rate is now 270. My car has 16k miles 2019 M3AWD. My battery also doesn't charge as quickly as it used to. I used to get a steady 30 miles an hour with my Nema 14-50. I now get about 26/27. I contacted Tesla and they gave me some BS that my car is within fleet and its driving habits. I don't drive fast at all... And according to TeslaFi/StatsApp and I am nowhere within fleet. So Tesla is flat out lying to people. We will see what happens but I have been having a lot of problems with my model 3 lately. I am a hardcore Tesla fan boy but I am really started to get ticked off. I don't know how to handle the situation. All I know is that I am pissed. I was told degradation would be 2-3% a year. I now know that that is BS....

I jumped in to the ABRP degradation thread with this, but this seems like it might be a better place. For a data point, I have a March 2020 build SR with just over 5,000 miles, and ABRP is showing 7.5 percent degradation and 44.4 kW capacity. That seems steep, but is corroborated by a recent 140-mile round trip I took last weekend, starting from 100 percent, that used 89 percent of the battery, putting my actual capacity around 40.5 kW.

I'm doing everything by the book – the SR already has a built-in buffer over the SR+, but I plug it in every time it's parked at home and set the charge limit to 90 percent apart from the rare road trip. Never had this issue with my old 500e or i3. Not inspiring a lot of confidence!

A follow-up for those interested: I had a call with Tesla service earlier this week where virtual diagnostics confirmed I'm at 12 percent (!) capacity loss after five months and 5,100 miles. Tesla's expectation is that capacity loss generally reached 10 percent and settles out, but that usually happens over the course of a year or so. We'll have to wait and see what happens with mine.

A follow-up for those interested: I had a call with Tesla service earlier this week where virtual diagnostics confirmed I'm at 12 percent (!) capacity loss after five months and 5,100 miles. Tesla's expectation is that capacity loss generally reached 10 percent and settles out, but that usually happens over the course of a year or so. We'll have to wait and see what happens with mine.

That is absurd. My battery just recently crapped itself in a big way. I wonder if this is going to come back to bite Telsa in the ass. I have an iPhone that is three years old with like 900 battery cycles and its battery life is 84%. My model 3 is less than a year old and is at about the same level as my iPhone! I am sure my M3 battery has cycled 80 times MAX.

Reactions: mrgoogle
Just a data point:

My 2018 Model 3 AWD (LR) w/Acceleration Boost, 18" Aero, Roof Racks
310 mile original range
25K miles ~ 22 months since purchased new - 302 miles at 100% charge.
Implying a < 3% degradation so far.

- Minimal supercharging (guessing <300 kWh)
- Usually keep battery at 70% (was 80% for first 6 months)
- Will set to 90-95% for long trips, has been to 100% about 3 times.
- Never used below 10%

(Tires NOT aging as well :) ).

Just a data point:

310 mile original range

- Never used below 10%

Wow, consider yourself lucky.

Just a data point:

310 mile original range

- Never used below 10%

This is excellent. It’s actually 5% degradation though (74kWh vs your original 78kWh+ - remember no capacity loss shows before you get below 76kWh).

I’m at 287 rated, 3P+ Nov 2018, 18.6k miles. So ~70kWh. About 10% capacity loss (I did not lose any rated miles for the first 6 months or so so likely started with over 78kWh. (Loss of miles starts showing when your capacity drops below ~76kWh for vehicles prior to 2020.) So more loss for me, but also perfectly normal. Not a surprise, but definitely would prefer to have 76kWh still!

Not too much Supercharging for me, but more. Probably about 20-25 sessions. Does not seem correlated with the range loss timing though.

I have not paid super close attention to whether the Supercharge taper is based on % or rated miles (I would expect % since that would correlate with voltage presumably but who knows). In any case 10% capacity loss does not really matter much as long as they keep adding superchargers. I might notice another 5% though!

Last edited:
Here’s my degradation at approximately 1700 miles. This last screenshot was taken after discharging to 60 % and then back to 90%. There doesn’t appear to be an end to this. Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

• 7B39FFE8-0084-4381-8CEE-FDB3A1E672D7.png
    7B39FFE8-0084-4381-8CEE-FDB3A1E672D7.png
    366.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Let us know.

another datapoint. I've seen my range appear as varying numbers over the last 27 month.
Started out in 05/2018 with 309 which slowly rose to 311
By 10/2019 and 26k miles it was 308
Then saw a bunch of range drops
11/2019 it was down 298 still 26k miles
12/2019 with 27k miles it was 290 mile
02/2020 with 30k it was at its all time low of 286 miles
then it started creeping back up again
By 03/2020 it was back to 291
05/2020 it was 295 before falling back to 291 in 06/2020
now, in 08/2020 with 35k miles it has crept back up to 302
Which gives me less than 3% loss depending on which starting number you use.

Its been interesting tracking it, but tells me "degradation" is definitely not the correct word to use :)

[edit]
From TeslaFi
860 charges which collectively added 8,500 kWh

Last edited:
Here’s my degradation at approximately 1700 miles. This last screenshot was taken after discharging to 60 % and then back to 90%. There doesn’t appear to be an end to this. Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks
I just spoke with service who ran remote battery diagnostics. They said the current range loss is due to my driving habits (at most 30 miles a day on average) and air conditioning usage. I just charged from 82% to 90% this morning and I lost another 3 miles of range. I’m not buying this explanation.

I just spoke with service who ran remote battery diagnostics. They said the current range loss is due to my driving habits (at most 30 miles a day on average) and air conditioning usage. I just charged from 82% to 90% this morning and I lost another 3 miles of range. I’m not buying this explanation.

Don't buy it. Tesla is full of ****. I am getting sick and tired of all of this. The service center told me this week that "not all batteries are created equal". That basically means some people get good batteries that degrade slow and last long and some people get garbage batteries like mine that degraded 15% in less than a year. Tesla seems to avoid the issue. This will hurt them badly as they try to grow. I cancelled my wife's model Y order. I am sick of the bull**** with my model 3.

Don't buy it. Tesla is full of ****. I am getting sick and tired of all of this. The service center told me this week that "not all batteries are created equal". That basically means some people get good batteries that degrade slow and last long and some people get garbage batteries like mine that degraded 15% in less than a year. Tesla seems to avoid the issue. This will hurt them badly as they try to grow. I cancelled my wife's model Y order. I am sick of the bull**** with my model 3.
Right on. This is my second Tesla. My first, a M 3 LR RWD. NEVER had this issue at 12500 miles. Tesla’s response is utter bull *sugar*.

2018 AWD; delivered Sept 2018; 18" wheels with caps on.

With approximately 25,000 miles, I'm getting 270 miles when I slide the bar to 100%.

I charge each day (50A) to 80-82%, and have only taken 2 road trips when I used superchargers.

I made an appointment with Tesla service. I do fit into the date range for SB-19-16-009 (Replace High Voltage (HV) Battery).

Copying and pasting this from another thread:

My car just started experiencing SOC issues as well. My max charge rate is now 270. My car has 16k miles 2019 M3AWD. My battery also doesn't charge as quickly as it used to. I used to get a steady 30 miles an hour with my Nema 14-50. I now get about 26/27. I contacted Tesla and they gave me some BS that my car is within fleet and its driving habits. I don't drive fast at all... And according to TeslaFi/StatsApp and I am nowhere within fleet. So Tesla is flat out lying to people. We will see what happens but I have been having a lot of problems with my model 3 lately. I am a hardcore Tesla fan boy but I am really started to get ticked off. I don't know how to handle the situation. All I know is that I am pissed. I was told degradation would be 2-3% a year. I now know that that is BS....
I feel bad for you also... I am also not famous and Tesla tells me -14% is within fleet specs...!

Why am I talking about “famous”? Well, all the popular YouTubers for some reason don’t ever have issues or service seems to be great for them.

I’ve visited multiple service centers, they all suck, lie and can’t or won’t fix battery capacity loss: because it is not -30% capacity yet from warranty...

It’s all about battery lottery... Some people get a SR+ that’s got less capacity then a SR, some get a LR that’s more like a MidRange battery or for some even comparable to the better lucky SR+ owners.

It’s all bull... I am know to this they started deflect and doge stuff and or simply lie that the lower range is only temporary.

Not even a year old, but already ten percent lost first charge, 3-4months later -14%

There really should be a tiered battery warranty. For example, 90% capacity guaranteed at 1 year 80% at 3 years and 70% thereafter... or something along those lines. With a mileage equivalent of course. I believe solar panels have a similar tiered generation guarantee.

A company that is so confident in its battery technology lead should welcome an industry leading battery warranty.

Reactions: dfwatt and BrandX
another datapoint. I've seen my range appear as varying numbers over the last 27 month.
Started out in 05/2018 with 309 which slowly rose to 311
By 10/2019 and 26k miles it was 308
Then saw a bunch of range drops
11/2019 it was down 298 still 26k miles
12/2019 with 27k miles it was 290 mile
02/2020 with 30k it was at its all time low of 286 miles
then it started creeping back up again
By 03/2020 it was back to 291
05/2020 it was 295 before falling back to 291 in 06/2020
now, in 08/2020 with 35k miles it has crept back up to 302
Which gives me less than 3% loss depending on which starting number you use.

Its been interesting tracking it, but tells me "degradation" is definitely not the correct word to use :)

[edit]
From TeslaFi
860 charges which collectively added 8,500 kWh
My understanding is that TeslaFi uses the temperature-dependent SOC api. If you notice, your estimated rated range drops in the Fall thru Winter months, and increases in the late Spring thru Summer months.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I used to think the same, but now I've driven 35k miles I can see the variations of the range and can correlate the events leading to them.
The best explanation I found was this.
The range is calculated by the battery management system (BMS), it uses information from each charge session to estimate what range that works out to. But as we rarely charge to 100% it has to extrapolate based on the charges you do perform.
Its a bit like figuring out how big a gas tank is, but only using the amount of the last 10 fill ups with none of them being more than 30% of the total capacity.
So if you have lots of small charge sessions it really skews the numbers.

I saw that when I left my car at the airport where they would plug and unplug based on the number of other EVs. Lots of 2-3% charging sessions and my range dropped 5 miles.
Last week I did a series of 120-150 mile drives and charged back to 80% - my range has been creeping up and is now back up to 304.