Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on midrange reduced to 219 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly my expectations were it would follow the model s and x but have even less, what I'm seeing is they are either limiting us via software, which I think is the case, or the degradation is way worse than model s and x during the first year.

For me my drop was very sudden, not gradual. One day it didn't charge up like it used to and I can't recall if their was a software update.

Reactions: ggies07
I've lost 15.5 miles which is about 6%, I hope it doesn't do much more than that.

For those wondering about my expectations of a mid range, I was using this data: "The data appears to show that capacity remains between 90 and 95 percent, on average, even at 150,000 km"

Source: Tesla Model S battery life: what the data show so far

Using that data, at one year, I'm going to pass the average from the past 9 years of data, in the next 6 months :(

I've lost 15.5 miles which is about 6%, I hope it doesn't do much more than that.

For those wondering about my expectations of a mid range, I was using this data: "The data appears to show that capacity remains between 90 and 95 percent, on average, even at 150,000 km"

Source: Tesla Model S battery life: what the data show so far

Using that data, at one year, I'm going to pass the average from the past 9 years of data, in the next 6 months :(

You're probably just an outlier. It sucks, but it happens. The good news is that there are a few people who probably have barely lost any range, too! :mad:

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 12.04.40 PM.png

I'm at 244 @ 100% on my MidRange - that's down about 7.5% from new. I would get 237 @ 90% = 264 @ 100 for the first 6 months I had the car, then it started dropping. But like you, about half of my loss came overnight one night (note it was the same software version across the drop):
FusionCharts (1).png

The big overnight drop was on ver 2019.32.12.2, 9 months into ownership at 8k miles

• Informative
Reactions: ggies07
Over the last one month or so I’ve been not charging until the battery registers about 20% of capacity and then charging to 90% instead of charging from approximately from 70 to 80% nightly. This new charging behavior allows the car to more accurately estimate the rated range. The result is that my car never degraded to 210 miles and now the rated range is more accurate per the following Stats App graph
3511F86B-96C5-4966-89C8-85AEDD2660C4.jpeg

Reactions: KenC
I'm at 244 @ 100% on my MidRange - that's down about 7.5% from new. I would get 237 @ 90% = 264 @ 100 for the first 6 months I had the car, then it started dropping. But like you, about half of my loss came overnight one night (note it was the same software version across the drop):
View attachment 489931

The big overnight drop was on ver 2019.32.12.2, 9 months into ownership at 8k miles
What application are you using to track battery degradation? That drop seems sudden. My Nov 18 MR has 17,701. To test my range, Last night I supercharged to 100% and got 248 miles. (never got the charging complete text so maybe 249 or 250 is actual.). When new I got about 262 on a full charge, not 264. So down about 5.5% now. The longest leg between chargers I’ve made on a road trip is 206 miles from Santee, SC to Kingsland GA. As long as I can do this it’s splitting hairs weather you can get 230 vs 248 vs 264 on a charge. My 14 mile range drop is equivalent to ~ 1/2 gal gas tank shrinkage in an ice sedan, no one would even notice that.

What application are you using to track battery degradation? That drop seems sudden. My Nov 18 MR has 17,701. To test my range, Last night I supercharged to 100% and got 248 miles. (never got the charging complete text so maybe 249 or 250 is actual.). When new I got about 262 on a full charge, not 264. So down about 5.5% now. The longest leg between chargers I’ve made on a road trip is 206 miles from Santee, SC to Kingsland GA. As long as I can do this it’s splitting hairs weather you can get 230 vs 248 vs 264 on a charge. My 14 mile range drop is equivalent to ~ 1/2 gal gas tank shrinkage in an ice sedan, no one would even notice that.

I use TeslaFi.com - PM me if you want a referral link for a free month (you get 2 weeks without a referral, so you can try it either way).

Hi, the estimated range on my midrange model 3 has dropped to 219 miles at 100% charge. Average wh/mi since taking delivery has been 240. 7800 miles on the odometer since 11/2018. Brought this issue up during multiple service visits and got the same answer over and over again: it's just an estimate not reflective of everyday real-world use, better to use the battery percentage instead, drop the charge to 20% then charge up to 100% to reset the BMS, etc. I've done the re-calibration procedure repeatedly and it never increased past 219 miles. What gives? I don't drive the car aggressively and my average wh/mi seems to be at the rated value. The service techs claim that they've remotely checked on my battery health and there's no issues with the cells, and no software limitations effectively limiting me to SR range. Has anyone experienced this much of a drop from the advertised range? Should I press Tesla to change out my battery pack?
I got my 2019 Mid range Jan 25th 2019 almost 15k miles now. My range has dropped to 90% at 217. They gave Standard Range more range last month up to 250. Long range dual motor and single motor also got more range. My range dropped and no announcement it would go up. It really feels like Tesla has forgotten Mid Range and is making them Standard range now. My co-worker took delivery of his Standard range last week. On day one I asked him to charge to 100% and take a screen capture so he could remember and track it. His 100% is supposed to be 250 he got 244 almost exactly what my Mid Range 100% is just a day before his delivery.

I got my 2019 Mid range Jan 25th 2019 almost 15k miles now. My range has dropped to 90% at 217. They gave Standard Range more range last month up to 250. Long range dual motor and single motor also got more range. My range dropped and no announcement it would go up. It really feels like Tesla has forgotten Mid Range and is making them Standard range now. My co-worker took delivery of his Standard range last week. On day one I asked him to charge to 100% and take a screen capture so he could remember and track it. His 100% is supposed to be 250 he got 244 almost exactly what my Mid Range 100% is just a day before his delivery.

My Mid Range is showing numbers almost exactly as yours. Took delivery late DEC 2018, car now has 15k miles on it and 90% is showing 217. That’s just over 8% drop or around 21 miles basically turning it into a SR car. Also this didn’t really happen slowly over time the vast majority of that 8% happened all at once. Suspiciously right around the time the news of all the Model S fires while parked was coming out and also right around the time a lot of S and X owners saw their cars batteries and supercharging rates capped. I also have a 2017 X that saw this massive battery cap right around the same time. In my mind this is not degradation or a BMS error. It’s intentional and for some reason only affecting Mid Range cars.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: duanra and ggies07
I have a 2018 mid-range Model 3 which I picked up in late December. I just checked my battery and I top out at 224 miles but I’m assuming that has a lot to do with the cold weather. Still wish I was closer to 264 instead of well below even the standard range mileage.

My Mid Range is showing numbers almost exactly as yours. Took delivery late DEC 2018, car now has 15k miles on it and 90% is showing 217. That’s just over 8% drop or around 21 miles basically turning it into a SR car. Also this didn’t really happen slowly over time the vast majority of that 8% happened all at once. Suspiciously right around the time the news of all the Model S fires while parked was coming out and also right around the time a lot of S and X owners saw their cars batteries and supercharging rates capped. I also have a 2017 X that saw this massive battery cap right around the same time. In my mind this is not degradation or a BMS error. It’s intentional and for some reason only affecting Mid Range cars.
I didn’t think much of the range loss until this thread which also got me to sign up to post on the forum. I think you are right that there is something intentional going on with the LEMRs as there seems to be a near universial experience with range loss by LEMR owners.

Reactions: dhtguru
I have a 2018 mid-range Model 3 which I picked up in late December. I just checked my battery and I top out at 224 miles but I’m assuming that has a lot to do with the cold weather. Still wish I was closer to 264 instead of well below even the standard range mileage.

If you have a snowflake, sure. But do a long fast drive and then Supercharge at max rate, and your projected range measured right at the Supercharger should be pretty close to what you see in summer, even in winter time. It’s dependent on battery temperature, not outside temperature.

The display estimate range has nothing to do with temperature as explained inTesla support pages.

This is not true. The temperature absolutely does impact the displayed rated miles.
Watch for the Snowflake Icon
When your battery is cold, a blue snowflake alert may appear next to your displayed range. This means some of the energy stored in your battery won’t be accessible until your battery heats up to a sufficient temperature. You may also notice that battery power and regenerative braking are limited. Once the battery is warmed, the snowflake will disappear. Charging, driving and preconditioning are all ways to warm your battery quicker.”

This shows up as fewer miles available.

The rated miles also reduce even BEFORE the snowflake appears. It is easy to check, but non-linear - not much happens until below about 45-50 degrees.

This is not true. The temperature absolutely does impact the displayed rated miles.
Watch for the Snowflake Icon
When your battery is cold, a blue snowflake alert may appear next to your displayed range. This means some of the energy stored in your battery won’t be accessible until your battery heats up to a sufficient temperature. You may also notice that battery power and regenerative braking are limited. Once the battery is warmed, the snowflake will disappear. Charging, driving and preconditioning are all ways to warm your battery quicker.”

The rated miles also reduce even BEFORE the snowflake appears. It is easy to check.

Yes, but as you say it is the battery temp not the outside temp.
Again if you do those simple math, it will give you a good idea.
Why is it funny ?

Yes, but as you say it is the battery temp not the outside temp.
Again if you do those simple math, it will give you a good idea.
Why is it funny ?

You said “temperature.” Obviously, battery temperature and outside temperature are correlated. So it is misleading to say that temperature has no effect. It absolutely does and absolutely will affect your 100% projected range unless you take steps to decouple the two temperatures.

You said “temperature.” Obviously, battery temperature and outside temperature are correlated. So it is misleading to say that temperature has no effect. It absolutely does and absolutely will affect your 100% projected range unless you take steps to decouple the two temperatures.
If the battery is warmed up after a long drive...or a charging session.
It is a pretty common situation isn't