Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on midrange reduced to 219 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your higher discharge cycles comment would be adjusted with more efficient miles/charge?
Not really because the difference in Wh/m is marginal, 5-10%, but the difference in kWh capacity is almost 30-40%.
So you can have 30% less cycles for the same miles and this is a huge number. This is the difference between 750 cycles or 600

This is why Tesla gives shorter warranty on SR+.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Found this thread searching through a bunch of others on battery degradation. I wanted to add my data point:

MR - Nov 2018 buy - Had around 255 miles on 100% when I got the car. After one year and 25k miles, I now only get 244 miles at 100% charge, but I didn't get that 244 until the latest software update....coincidence? I know the battery range will go down some, but 5% in one year? Hopefully the other stats of hitting 5% on the S and then tapering off is true....

Found this thread searching through a bunch of others on battery degradation. I wanted to add my data point:

MR - Nov 2018 buy - Had around 255 miles on 100% when I got the car. After one year and 25k miles, I now only get 244 miles at 100% charge, but I didn't get that 244 until the latest software update....coincidence? I know the battery range will go down some, but 5% in one year? Hopefully the other stats of hitting 5% on the S and then tapering off is true....

So from the get-go your MR only netted you 255 out of 264 at 100% charge? The MR was 264, right?

Do you mean to say that it was lower, and now it has gone up to 244? What software version are you on now?
ah, sorry, just read that again and it could be confusing. I meant to say that over the past year I noticed with every 100% charge I got around 255, but it was not until the latest software update (2019.36.2.1) that I could only get 244. I'm not sure if it's due to my mileage now or maybe Tesla limited it somehow due to the 5% power increase.....*shrugs*..........

Reactions: gecko10x
ah, sorry, just read that again and it could be confusing. I meant to say that over the past year I noticed with every 100% charge I got around 255, but it was not until the latest software update (2019.36.2.1) that I could only get 244. I'm not sure if it's due to my mileage now or maybe Tesla limited it somehow due to the 5% power increase.....*shrugs*..........
There's a strong suspicion that Tesla now accounts for temperature in the range calculation. I'm not sure how the weather is in Texas, but in norcal we've had a few colder days and I saw my range drop 4-10 miles on the colder days and the estimates going back up after warming the pack up on a longer drive.

I'm getting the OBD adapter soon so hopefully I can give better insight as to what's happening instead of guessing.

• Informative
Reactions: ggies07
There's a strong suspicion that Tesla now accounts for temperature in the range calculation. I'm not sure how the weather is in Texas, but in norcal we've had a few colder days and I saw my range drop 4-10 miles on the colder days and the estimates going back up after warming the pack up on a longer drive.

I'm getting the OBD adapter soon so hopefully I can give better insight as to what's happening instead of guessing.

It definitely takes battery temp into account when calculating estimated range.

It definitely takes battery temp into account when calculating estimated range.
I would say this is FAR from 'definite'. According to Tesla, it does not take *anything* into account other than the EPA rated Wh/mi:
The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA).

There is mounting evidence that Tesla changed *something* about how the BMS works, but they have not stated publicly. Things that have been speculated:
  • At some recent point they stopped including the buffer in the range display
  • At some recent point they changed the size of the buffer.
  • There's a software issue they are working on in the BMS
  • They are doing some sort of seasonal changes in the BMS
I know it's not one-to-one temperature, because I charge to the same range regardless of outside temps, but back in June/July it started falling. But the coldest it's been recently here (couple of night hit high-40s) - results in the same range as when it's mid-70s

I would say this is FAR from 'definite'. According to Tesla, it does not take *anything* into account other than the EPA rated Wh/mi:

There is mounting evidence that Tesla changed *something* about how the BMS works, but they have not stated publicly. Things that have been speculated:
  • At some recent point they stopped including the buffer in the range display
  • At some recent point they changed the size of the buffer.
  • There's a software issue they are working on in the BMS
  • They are doing some sort of seasonal changes in the BMS
I know it's not one-to-one temperature, because I charge to the same range regardless of outside temps, but back in June/July it started falling. But the coldest it's been recently here (couple of night hit high-40s) - results in the same range as when it's mid-70s

I have a feeling that people are trying to reassure themselves by speculating on the reasons the car is showing less range.
I am experimenting loss of range as well with my MR. About 4 to 5% in a year. It is unfortunate but...

There is 2 things : the displayed estimate range which is not going to change with temp, driving habit etc...and the estimate range which you access with the app at the bottom of the screen which takes into account everything like driving habit, temp...etc.

Now maybe Tesla has changed buffers or what not but I haven't seen anything official about that. All we know that they have increased power and EPA range for some vehicles.

So dig this... I plug in every night and when it stops I get an alert on my phone stating it completed charging and how many range miles are available. It tops out at 216 miles at 90% pretty much every night. But I can never get it to top out at 240 miles on a 100% charge. Go figure..

So dig this... I plug in every night and when it stops I get an alert on my phone stating it completed charging and how many range miles are available. It tops out at 216 miles at 90% pretty much every night. But I can never get it to top out at 240 miles on a 100% charge. Go figure..
Well, 216@90% is perfect. Nothing to worry about. 100% probably requires some battery cell balancing.

same month MR...100% is in 240's also. 18,000 miles. still will never buy an another ICE again...

Reactions: KenC and ggies07