Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Range on 4680 Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MYAWD for 2 weeks and while I like it quite a bit, I was surprised at the lack of highway range. I took a day trip, 130 miles each way, around 40f avg temp, tried to keep it around 70-75 on the highway. Charged to 90% before leaving at home, and again at a supercharger before returning. Each way used about 200 miles of estimated range. So if I wanted to keep it between 20-80% as suggested, I'd guess no more than 120 miles on the highway. Not sure how people in Scandinavia manage with frequent lower temps, though I hear it's the most popular car in Norway.

Reactions: advocate8
Thanks for replying with some *real* world results. You will certainly get better than 140 miles of range.. off 90% charge. Half of the fun of owning a Tesla is mashing the pedal and feeling the torque bury you into the seat. As you get used to driving the car.. using more regen braking to slow down or come to a stop.. or just start to drive normally (no more flooring it lol) your efficiency will get a lot better.

My guess is the MYAWD is good for anywhere between 200-250 miles of "real world" driving depending on circumstances. And I use this estimate because most Teslas gets about 70-90% of their estimated EPA range when driven in "real world" circumstances. Expect to get 70% efficiency in the worst conditions (freezing temperatures, heat turn up and bad/wet weather). Expect to get about 90% efficiency in the best conditions (70 degree ambient temps, flat roads, climate control turned off).

As I pointed out above you will never hit 100%. I drive like grandma.. and have tracked my car with TeslaFi & Teslamate since the first day of ownership. After 37K miles of driving in the past two years.. my wh/mi avg is 253 which is actually better than what most Model Y owners get. 253 wh/mi is about 22% worst than the EPA rating 205 wh/mi for my Model Y. I do admit to lots of highway driving.. as most of my driving is between 65-75mph. But even in much slower stop & go traffic around the city I still average about 225 wh/mi which is about 10% worst than the EPA's 205 wh/mi estimate.

Where are you getting the 205 Wh/mi figure? Fuel economy.gov rates both the 4680 and 2170 non-performance cars at 28 kWh per 100 miles, or 280 Wh/mi. The performance is rated at 30 kWh per 100 miles, or 300 Wh/mi.

1680901346171.png

With this information, we can see that the 4680 vehicle does not get substantially better efficiency than the 2170 non-performance vehicle, so real world range should be pretty easy to figure out based on differences in battery capacity.

The 4680 pack has approximately 84.5% of the 2170’s capacity, so it should get approximately 84.5% of the real world driving range.

Where are you getting the 205 Wh/mi figure? Fuel economy.gov rates both the 4680 and 2170 non-performance cars at 28 kWh per 100 miles, or 280 Wh/mi. The performance is rated at 30 kWh per 100 miles, or 300 Wh/mi.

Something is off here. Let's use your math.. and assume the 2170 avg 280wh/mi in the MYLR.

1000/280 = 3.57 miles per kWh. The MYLR has an 82kWh battery pack.

3.57 x 82 = 292 miles.

How does 292 = 330 miles?

Much agreed. So far it has been an incredible disappointment.

What was advertised as 6X the power.. 5X the energy.. and 16% more range.. has turned out to be what is probably the worst value in Teslas EV portfolio. Unless you are absolutely desperate for a brand new Model Y right now.. nobody wants to give up 50 miles of range to save $3,000 on a $55K vehicle. Let's do some of that simple math I asked for in my previous post above: For 7% more money.. the 2170 battery pack in the Long Range delivers 18% more range.

And for the "superfans" that will inevitably downvote this post.. remember this:

less-than-p-greater-than-during-teslas-battery-day-2020-drew-baglino-svp-powertrain-and-energy-engineering-and-elon-musk-ceo-introduced-the-4680-battery-less-than-p-greater-than.jpg

Yeah, that presentation is very misleading to the casual user, but you have to recall the context of what those claims are.

5x energy - this is almost purely due to the size of the 4680 compared to the 2170 - the cell is about 5x large volumetrically.
6x power - tabless design here allowed a slight improvement in power - per Wh. So maybe 20% better power thanks to tabless compared to the conventional 2170.
16% range - I don't recall the exact context here, but presumably the improve energy density of the cells allows one to pack about 16% more energy into the same space/weight. Of course, Tesla has decided to put a small pack into the 4680 equipped vehicles.

Finally, you talk about 7% more money for 18% more range - you're comparing the total cost of the car compared to the incremental cost of the battery pack. You could double the size of the pack (100% more range), but the car might only cost 40-50% more.

All that said - I'm still surprised that Tesla didn't launch the 4680 packs with a similar amount of range as the 2170, but I'm assuming they did this to take advantage of ramping up the 4680 lines the same time they ramped the Austin TX line.

Yeah, that presentation is very misleading to the casual user, but you have to recall the context of what those claims are.

5x energy - this is almost purely due to the size of the 4680 compared to the 2170 - the cell is about 5x large volumetrically.
6x power - tabless design here allowed a slight improvement in power - per Wh. So maybe 20% better power thanks to tabless compared to the conventional 2170.
16% range - I don't recall the exact context here, but presumably the improve energy density of the cells allows one to pack about 16% more energy into the same space/weight. Of course, Tesla has decided to put a small pack into the 4680 equipped vehicles.

Finally, you talk about 7% more money for 18% more range - you're comparing the total cost of the car compared to the incremental cost of the battery pack. You could double the size of the pack (100% more range), but the car might only cost 40-50% more.

All that said - I'm still surprised that Tesla didn't launch the 4680 packs with a similar amount of range as the 2170, but I'm assuming they did this to take advantage of ramping up the 4680 lines the same time they ramped the Austin TX line.

None of that addresses the ONLY thing the consumer cares about:

Which is for $3,000 you get 50 more miles of range.

I suspect it is some combination of: 1) ramping up 4680 production to ensure supply for the Cybertruck; 2) field testing the 4680 to ensure it's as capable as the 2170; 3) keeping demand at a reasonable level for the MYAWD so #1 can happen.

If someone offered you $20 to stay at a supercharger a little longer, would you take it? $3k is a lot of $20s.
You are barking up the wrong tree. I own the mythical $39,990 MYSR (standard range Model Y).

When I bought my car, it was no longer custom orderable. So I found one in inventory in Chicago. Drove it 830 miles home to DC. I point this out, because before I ever pulled the trigger on taking delivery of the MYSR.. I plugged in the numbers for ABRP to plan the trip. ABRP said the MYSR would require 8 stops totaling 1h50mins of charging.. while the MYLR (long-range Model Y) which was priced $10,000 more at the time, would require 5 stops totaling 1h15mins of charging. I've never regretted saving $10,000 to stop 3 extra times for a total 35mins of extra charging on an 830-mile drive.

That said the vast majority of shoppers are not like me. People want as much range as they can comfortably afford. And for someone who is already spending $50K on a vehicle.. spending just $3K more for an extra 50 miles is a price most people are extremely willing to pay.

You are barking up the wrong tree. I own the mythical $39,990 MYSR (standard range Model Y).

When I bought my car, it was no longer custom orderable. So I found one in inventory in Chicago. Drove it 830 miles home to DC. I point this out, because before I ever pulled the trigger on taking delivery of the MYSR.. I plugged in the numbers for ABRP to plan the trip. ABRP said the MYSR would require 8 stops totaling 1h50mins of charging.. while the MYLR (long-range Model Y) which was priced $10,000 more at the time, would require 5 stops totaling 1h15mins of charging. I've never regretted saving $10,000 to stop 3 extra times for a total 35mins of extra charging on an 830-mile drive.

Exactly!

That said the vast majority of shoppers are not like me. People want as much range as they can comfortably afford. And for someone who is already spending $50K on a vehicle.. spending just $3K more for an extra 50 miles is a price most people are extremely willing to pay.
I suspect you are right. TBH, I also suspect this is intentional based on current production capacity. Tesla knows that big "3" at the beginning has a big psychological impact on consumers.

But in the real world? That 50 mile rated range difference is likely <40 miles difference on the highway, maybe even <35. I'd be tempted to save the $3k.

Reactions: Daekwan
First ive heard of this. My Tesla wall charger at home is about 98% efficient when charging.. so where are the EPA getting these numbers?

Can you provide a link with more information?
Your wall charger is probably well above 99% efficient, all it does is close a relay.

The inefficiency comes from the onboard charger that converts 208-240VAC to DC for the pack. That charger is around 93-95% efficient. So 10 kWh from the wall ends up with 9.4 kWh getting into the battery pack.

The EPA rates efficiency based on the AC kWh that goes into the car from the wall.

The MYSR is still the best bargain Tesla has ever offered.

Yeah, I gotta tell you the car has absolutely exceeded my every expectation.. including the actual real-world range. I generally charge daily to 90% which gives me a real-world 180+ miles to work with. After 2 years of ownership and 40K miles of driving.. my car is still estimated to get 230 miles off a full charge. When it was brand new 243 miles.

In the rare event that I need to drive more than 180+ miles in a single day (1x every other month).. I hit a supercharger just like every other Tesla. I just drove 305 miles in a single day to pick up my Dad for this very Easter weekend:
  • Left my house with 94% and drove about 170 highway miles.. stopped to charge once for 9 mins: battery went from 9% to 47%.
  • Drove another 83 highway miles and stopped again to charge for 10 mins: battery went from 2% to 41%.
  • This was more than enough to get me back home.. 52 highway miles away. I arrived back home at 18%.

It's important to point out these are all highway miles (which means speeds 60-80mph). And that I didn't make up any of these numbers or just provide estimations. I just checked Teslamate and grabbed the exact figures from the 3rd party data logger I use to track my car.

So in one day with a standard range RWD Model Y.. I drove 305 miles and only needed to charge for a total of 19mins. Granted I did stop twice, but both were right off highway exits and I honestly needed to hit the bathroom anyways. I've thought about trading this MYSR for an MYP a few times.. but I still cannot pull the trigger. Even after 2 years of ownership.. I just can't justify paying $20,000 more for essentially the exact same car.. just faster & with 25% more range.

It depends on how you define small pack. If you define it in capacity, obviously yes. It doesn’t look like it’s significantly different in terms of weight.
It’s likely 4680 just isn’t as efficient and it would have taken significantly more of them to get about the same range as LR.