Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are NOT understanding.

You say that you do, but your comments say you don't.

All car manufactures are in the same boat? NO they aren't. Ask the body shops.

They ALL say that Tesla's are 2 to 3 times the wait for parts than ANY OTHER VENDOR.

Tesla's initial wait times were 1 year. Now its cut in half to 6 months. Some people cheer and applaud, but that's still longer than ANY other vendor.

I know what would help you and others understand.

Bring your Tesla to the shop where mine is and leave it parked there until mine is fixed. As soon as you park your car....state that Tesla is just like any other vendor...and keep saying it for months. Are you willing?

You’re 2 days into this thing and already have parts on the way. The issue is .......?

The difference is that you’ve already jumped to the worst possible case in your head. Get out of there. Stop with the Chicken Little act. It doesn't help you think rationally.

There’s already been changes in Tesla’s logistics. We know it. They’ve said it. They’ve been showing it by getting at least your first batch of parts out inside 24 hours. We're starting to see results.

Have they been bad in the past? Yes. No question there.
Are they improving? Clearly.
Will it be enough improvement to get you out the door quickly? We shall see. Still TBD. But you've already committed to a rotten experience.

But, simply, you've already decided this is going to be a long, drawn out process and you're hopeless.

The FACTS however are that you are in absolutely no different position today than you would be if you had an Audi.

Will that change? Will some part have a long delay? That remains to be seen. But mentally, you've already committed that as fact.

But blanket "6 months" or "2-3x as long" statements without FACTS backing them up (anecdotal evidence is NOT a fact, it's anecdotal) trade on old experiences.

Am I going to park my Tesla? No, mine's in one piece, thanks. Last time I had to do that, it was for my Cadillac, but thankfully it was driveable. The entire process was a little over a month. A few days to get insurance done, estimated, etc. 2 1/2 weeks for parts, another week before they could start, then a couple days of install time, time in the paint shop etc. And that was just for a liftgate without body damage. You've got the trunk lid *and* body damage to contend with. It's a pretty massive job.

Look, I'm not saying it doesn't suck - of course it sucks. But to this point, your experience is 100% typical for ANY manufacturer. Nothing's gone off the rails yet. The thing is you've already made up your mind that it will

I've found that historically, taking a positive outlook inspires positive energy. I'm not saying to be a Pollyanna and pretend everything is goodness and light, but man, ya gotta give people a chance to do the right thing. And so far, they have on all fronts. You got through the insurance and estimating gauntlet, at-fault determined, vehicle looked at, order placed, parts starting to ship... Rental car established for as long as this takes ... None of that has gone anything but perfectly so far. Heck, you haven't even had to lay out a deductible! Usually - even in clear cut cases - you end up laying that out and then subrogating it back. Even that hasn't happened here.

2 days ago you were worried about getting to work and losing the car. Neither of those things came to pass, did they?

All I'm saying is try to stay on the positive side of things - it's good for the soul, and in a very Machiavellian sense, is much better for getting what you want out of folks than the negative.

You’re 2 days into this thing and already have parts on the way. The issue is .......?

The difference is that you’ve already jumped to the worst possible case in your head. Get out of there. Stop with the Chicken Little act. It doesn't help you think rationally.

There’s already been changes in Tesla’s logistics. We know it. They’ve said it. They’ve been showing it by getting at least your first batch of parts out inside 24 hours. We're starting to see results.

Have they been bad in the past? Yes. No question there.
Are they improving? Clearly.
Will it be enough improvement to get you out the door quickly? We shall see. Still TBD. But you've already committed to a rotten experience.

But, simply, you've already decided this is going to be a long, drawn out process and you're hopeless.

The FACTS however are that you are in absolutely no different position today than you would be if you had an Audi.

Will that change? Will some part have a long delay? That remains to be seen. But mentally, you've already committed that as fact.

But blanket "6 months" or "2-3x as long" statements without FACTS backing them up (anecdotal evidence is NOT a fact, it's anecdotal) trade on old experiences.

Am I going to park my Tesla? No, mine's in one piece, thanks. Last time I had to do that, it was for my Cadillac, but thankfully it was driveable. The entire process was a little over a month. A few days to get insurance done, estimated, etc. 2 1/2 weeks for parts, another week before they could start, then a couple days of install time, time in the paint shop etc. And that was just for a liftgate without body damage. You've got the trunk lid *and* body damage to contend with. It's a pretty massive job.

Look, I'm not saying it doesn't suck - of course it sucks. But to this point, your experience is 100% typical for ANY manufacturer. Nothing's gone off the rails yet. The thing is you've already made up your mind that it will

I've found that historically, taking a positive outlook inspires positive energy. I'm not saying to be a Pollyanna and pretend everything is goodness and light, but man, ya gotta give people a chance to do the right thing. And so far, they have on all fronts. You got through the insurance and estimating gauntlet, at-fault determined, vehicle looked at, order placed, parts starting to ship... Rental car established for as long as this takes ... None of that has gone anything but perfectly so far. Heck, you haven't even had to lay out a deductible! Usually - even in clear cut cases - you end up laying that out and then subrogating it back. Even that hasn't happened here.

2 days ago you were worried about getting to work and losing the car. Neither of those things came to pass, did they?

All I'm saying is try to stay on the positive side of things - it's good for the soul, and in a very Machiavellian sense, is much better for getting what you want out of folks than the negative.

So....you don't believe Body Shops that say the wait is Tremendously long? Good for you.

I'm going on historical proof from body shops that I have visited. Earlier I suggested calling a few, such as the Tesla Elk Grove body shop location. They will tell you on the phone.

Check back in a month and convince me that its like an audi.

So....you don't believe Body Shops that say the wait is Tremendously long? Good for you.

Check back in a month.

... my point ENTIRELY.

a) A month isn't unreasonable or uncommon for body work. It just... isn't. Do I expect them to still have your car in a month? Possibly. Probably, even. But that's not any different than if they were working on a Chrysler.
b) Parts are already moving. So, they're already wrong.

Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

• Love
Reactions: outdoors and P85_DA
... my point ENTIRELY.

a) A month isn't unreasonable or uncommon for body work. It just... isn't. Do I expect them to still have your car in a month? Possibly. Probably, even. But that's not any different than if they were working on a Chrysler.
b) Parts are already moving. So, they're already wrong.

Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Ok check back in 2 months.....like other people here.

Parts are moving? The objective is not to have parts moving. No one is complaining about Parts moving. 5 parts moving out of 48? really?

Don't believe what I hear/see? <----- That statement is all over the news these days.

Ok check back in 2 months.....like other people here.

Parts are moving? The objective is not to have parts moving.

See you in 2 months.

Industry estimates are about 0.47 days per hour of labor in a collision repair. See here:
SCRS Study: Estimated Time for Repair Not Consistent with Insurer Expectations | May 05, 2014 | FenderBender

Your estimate said 96.9 hours of work.

So, just based on industry average alone (NOT Tesla specific) -- that's 46 days.

Yeah, it's gonna be a while. No question. And that sucks - no question there either.

But there hasn't been anything yet that makes this worse because it's a Tesla... there just hasn't.

We're all pulling for you - I realize you're PO'd at me right now but please realize that. We're all hoping this gets done super quickly.

• Love
Don't believe what I hear/see? <----- That statement is all over the news these days.

... and to prove the point, ignoring the so-called "news" is also good for the soul. :)

The only news I watch now is FIOS 1 -- local weather, traffic and what restaurant opened this week in town.... the rest, well, yeah, I don't even want to hear it, let alone not believe it ...

Reactions: P85_DA
... and to prove the point, ignoring the so-called "news" is also good for the soul. :)

The only news I watch now is FIOS 1 -- local weather, traffic and what restaurant opened this week in town.... the rest, well, yeah, I don't even want to hear it, let alone not believe it ...

Fine.

Tesla does not have a long wait time for parts.

Tesla's wait time is just like everyone else's...no longer.

There isn't a 3 to 4 month wait time for parts before the work can start.

No problems. Right?

Just got a phone update from my repair shop. Still waiting on those last 2 clips. They were told the same thing as me. They are due in next week. Crossing fingers that will come to pass and I can drive electric again. If it gets finished by next Friday, that would be essentially 9 weeks from parts order until parts fulfillment total. I don't know how that compares to other makes. As a layman with car repairs, I'd guess it's probably a bit more than double the wait from most other cars at the moment. I think if they can cut 4-5 weeks off the total time, we will be in a much better satisfaction zone I think.

All said and done...the accident was my fault (well I'll blame mother nature a bit too since it was snow in April) and maybe that has tempered my reaction to this a bit. Had I been not at fault like Garlan...it would be pretty frustrating to say the least. Hang in there man! BTW, you saw the labor rates at my shop vs. yours. I'm kind of shocked the insurance adjuster isn't balking at those rates vs. where mine is. You would think they would send all the Tesla accidents in Chicagoland there given those rates?

Just got a phone update from my repair shop. Still waiting on those last 2 clips. They were told the same thing as me. They are due in next week. Crossing fingers that will come to pass and I can drive electric again. If it gets finished by next Friday, that would be essentially 9 weeks from parts order until parts fulfillment total. I don't know how that compares to other makes. As a layman with car repairs, I'd guess it's probably a bit more than double the wait from most other cars at the moment. I think if they can cut 4-5 weeks off the total time, we will be in a much better satisfaction zone I think.

All said and done...the accident was my fault (well I'll blame mother nature a bit too since it was snow in April) and maybe that has tempered my reaction to this a bit. Had I been not at fault like Garlan...it would be pretty frustrating to say the least. Hang in there man! BTW, you saw the labor rates at my shop vs. yours. I'm kind of shocked the insurance adjuster isn't balking at those rates vs. where mine is. You would think they would send all the Tesla accidents in Chicagoland there given those rates?

A little over 2 months for delivery of almost all parts?

Is that a standard time for parts delivery of other car manufacturers?

My questions aren't directly for you @cbrigante2.

Asking @dmurphy and all.

• Disagree
Was 45 days acceptable for the damage done?

This was over a month to get repaired, and it’s only one panel .... acceptable is relative.

85620DE7-C545-4963-8CF1-C572505522DB.jpeg

Reactions: verystandard
They claim that that part is currently in stock. Maybe you just got unlucky.
Lift Gate - GM (23495091) | GMPartsDirect.com
They claim that it usually ships in 48-72 hours but up to 7-10 days. It really does seem like Tesla has consistently long wait times.

The damage was 2 1/2 years ago. What’s in stock right now has no bearing.

And it’s a lot more parts than just the liftgate. Trim, actuators, emblems, struts, window seal, all sorts of stuff....