Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would guess a "totaling" of the Model 3 would be based on damage to the battery pack itself or to the protective structure surrounding it.

It’s really about the total damage expense. If the battery is damaged by a collision, sure, it would normally be a total.
To some extent there are guidelines like “damage exceeding 80% of ACV”, but it is totally possible to total out at lower damage values. Diminished value claims of 10-15% of actual cash value (so $6k-$9k) are common. So that is an added expense. Once the damage and other expenses start creeping to 50% of the value of the car, the car might not survive it because of high salvage value, and these other costs the insurance company would have to pay.

In this case, my guess is it is not a total loss though. But @Garlan Garner should definitely do the DOV claim when all is done. There are different rules for how it is done in different states.

Anyway, back to this car...sounds like he needs a proper tear down done ASAP with a proper shop estimate, and the liable party’s insurance adjuster needs to get down to the shop to sign off on that estimate. I would be really careful about signing any repair contract until I know that the liable insurance company is ok with the chosen shop and agrees to pay their rates and pick up any supplementals - and will pay for the cost of storage.

Got a call from the body shop this morning. All my parts are in except for a small bracket they are expecting any day. They scheduled me to start repairs next week, but it’s going to take them 3 weeks because of their workload. They gave me the option to wait until July when it could be completed within a 2 week block, but I declined. I’d rather get it done sooner even if it takes a little longer. It took 14 business days for Tesla to get them parts (with the exception of the any-day-now bracket). While 14 days is longer than other manufacturers for parts, it’s not horrible.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Here is the labor/parts cost breakdown: View attachment 418660

Those are incredibly low labor prices. $56/$70. Apparently not uncommon (though often not paid by the insurance companies and the customer has to pick it up) to get charged $100+/hr for labor on Teslas. Way lower than @Garlan Garner initial adjuster estimate labor rate. Are you happy with the work? Note that the total labor hours (I don't count the paint supplies "hours" since I actually think that is not units of hours...) is less than @Garlan Garner as well. And note that your part costs are higher.

So it all makes sense - yours was an easier repair with lower labor costs.

Those are incredibly low labor prices. $56/$70. Apparently not uncommon (though often not paid by the insurance companies and the customer has to pick it up) to get charged $100+/hr for labor on Teslas. Way lower than @Garlan Garner initial adjuster estimate labor rate. Are you happy with the work? Note that the total labor hours (I don't count the paint supplies "hours" since I actually think that is not units of hours...) is less than @Garlan Garner as well. And note that your part costs are higher.

So it all makes sense - yours was an easier repair with lower labor costs.
Hard to say yet. I haven't seen the finished work in person. They snapped a couple pics of it a few weeks ago. It looks like nothing happened to it now.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
The shop is "Service King" in Loves Park (near Rockford). It's a long way off...but they are the only "Tesla Certified" Service King in the area. They were on the approved list that Tesla customer care gave me when I was looking for where to take it. The owner seems like a straight shooter/stand up guy on the phone. Like I said..he's been apologizing for the part delays as well.

Got a call from the body shop this morning. All my parts are in except for a small bracket they are expecting any day. They scheduled me to start repairs next week, but it’s going to take them 3 weeks because of their workload. They gave me the option to wait until July when it could be completed within a 2 week block, but I declined. I’d rather get it done sooner even if it takes a little longer. It took 14 business days for Tesla to get them parts (with the exception of the any-day-now bracket). While 14 days is longer than other manufacturers for parts, it’s not horrible.
Sure beats 3-4 months waiting for parts.

Good news everyone!

Tesla's spare parts supply is reportedly nearing parity with German automakers

Tesla has rolled out a wholesale ordering system that allows parts to get drop-shipped at a comparable turnaround time as premier German automakers. While Tesla’s current parts delivery times are still longer than those of its Japanese counterparts, the electric car maker’s efficiency has reportedly reached parity with Porsche and Audi, and is steadily catching up to Mercedes-Benz.

The clock officially started today.

Tesla shipped 5 of 48 parts.

Tesla divided the parts order into 3 separate orders. I don't know why.....but.....

Parts are coming from Lathrop CA as well as Bethlehem PA. <-----Interesting.

Progress! They do have a large parts warehouse in Bethlehem so that makes sense.

Good news ... I'm optimistic for you, and for Tesla. I really believe when they say they're going to improve things. Why wouldn't they?

Reactions: MXWing
I don't believe that they wouldn't .

I wonder if they can.

Well, they’ve already accounted for your needs and designated the requisite parts into 3 shipments, just a day after the order was placed. One set is already enroute.

I’d say yes they can.

When my Cadillac’s liftgate was damaged, it took about 2 1/2 weeks for the parts to come in. That kind of timeframe seems normal.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Well, they’ve already accounted for your needs and designated the requisite parts into 3 shipments, just a day after the order was placed. One set is already enroute.

I’d say yes they can.

When my Cadillac’s liftgate was damaged, it took about 2 1/2 weeks for the parts to come in. That kind of timeframe seems normal.

Wait...Wait.....

Really?

Do you think that the remaining 43 parts will come in within 2 1/2 weeks ( normal )?

Last edited:
Wait...Wait.....

5 parts out of 48 and they have accounted for my needs?

Really?

Do you think that the remaining 43 parts will come in within 2 1/2 weeks ( normal )?

My friend, seeing ANY parts leaving the warehouse within 24 hours of the order is definitely progress! That's a great start.

Logistics are hard. These things take time. Again, it took 2 1/2 weeks for all of the parts for my liftgate to come in from General Motors - you know, that 110 year old company that builds 8 million+ vehicles per year.

GM, VW, BMW, Volvo - name your company - usually taking weeks to get parts to a body shop is perfectly within the realm of normal.

You're on day 2 ... If I were in your shoes I'd be chomping at the bit too... but removing the emotion for a second, a little patience goes a long way. It's a process and a grind, but you're really off to a good start. Seriously.

As for the remaining parts - of course I don't know without seeing their inventory levels, but since the first batch already shipped, it's pretty clear that your order isn't a) lost; b) being ignored; c) unimportant; or d) forgotten about. It's also possible that, let's say the logo badge is delayed - they can start the repair work without every single part being there. Lots of moving parts here; again, patience is a virtue. Believe me, if it were as simple as driving over to Bethlehem and picking parts off the shelf to help you, I'd do that in a heartbeat. But getting tazered by Tesla's security team - only to find the parts you need aren't there yet anyway - probably would ruin my night. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
My friend, seeing ANY parts leaving the warehouse within 24 hours of the order is definitely progress! That's a great start.

Logistics are hard. These things take time. Again, it took 2 1/2 weeks for all of the parts for my liftgate to come in from General Motors - you know, that 110 year old company that builds 8 million+ vehicles per year.

GM, VW, BMW, Volvo - name your company - usually taking weeks to get parts to a body shop is perfectly within the realm of normal.

You're on day 2 ... If I were in your shoes I'd be chomping at the bit too... but removing the emotion for a second, a little patience goes a long way. It's a process and a grind, but you're really off to a good start. Seriously.

My comment pertains to the comment " already accounted for your needs".

Starting order shipping isn't a need.

Delivery of parts is a need.

Check back here in a month or 2 and see if " already accounted for your needs" applies.

Fact...not emotion.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
My comment pertains to the comment " already accounted for your needs".

Starting order shipping isn't a need.

Delivery of parts is a need.

Check back here in a month or 2 and see if " already accounted for your needs" applies.

Fact...not emotion.

Your most immediate need - is for transportation.
And "Guilty's" insurance company has you covered there.

Here's actually one of the best articles I've seen to describe the process: How Long Should Collision Repairs Take? | Eli's Auto Body Los Angeles

From an independent-viewer perspective of this process...

1- Insurance delays have been minimized. They've already allowed the body shop to order the parts. That's a common holdup, one which you did not suffer. This is great.
2- Parts are beginning to be released. Also, a good sign. Not everything yet (clearly) but for all the grumping and grousing about how lousy Tesla's logistics are, it's clear to me that at least the order-handling part is working. What parts will take the longest, that we will find out.
3- This stuff WILL take time. I know we all want our car back now - especially when the accident had nothing to do with you! - but in the long haul, a couple days on either side is immaterial for a job done well. It's also absolutely 100% common.

I'm not saying this is a pleasant, or quick, or rewarding process. It's none of those. What I'm trying to get at is that the situation you're in is no worse off because it's a Tesla repair vis-a-vie a Cadillac, Audi, VW, Volvo, BMW or any of the other vehicles that were commonly replaced by a Tesla (see the other thread going in the Model 3 forum...)

It's no fun, Garlan. I've been there and understand how frustrating it is (really!)

But you're, truly, in no worse shape because it's a Tesla than you would be if this were any other vehicle right now.

Reactions: P85_DA and VT_EE
Your most immediate need - is for transportation.
And "Guilty's" insurance company has you covered there.

Here's actually one of the best articles I've seen to describe the process: How Long Should Collision Repairs Take? | Eli's Auto Body Los Angeles

From an independent-viewer perspective of this process...

1- Insurance delays have been minimized. They've already allowed the body shop to order the parts. That's a common holdup, one which you did not suffer. This is great.
2- Parts are beginning to be released. Also, a good sign. Not everything yet (clearly) but for all the grumping and grousing about how lousy Tesla's logistics are, it's clear to me that at least the order-handling part is working. What parts will take the longest, that we will find out.
3- This stuff WILL take time. I know we all want our car back now - especially when the accident had nothing to do with you! - but in the long haul, a couple days on either side is immaterial for a job done well. It's also absolutely 100% common.

I'm not saying this is a pleasant, or quick, or rewarding process. It's none of those. What I'm trying to get at is that the situation you're in is no worse off because it's a Tesla repair vis-a-vie a Cadillac, Audi, VW, Volvo, BMW or any of the other vehicles that were commonly replaced by a Tesla (see the other thread going in the Model 3 forum...)

It's no fun, Garlan. I've been there and understand how frustrating it is (really!)

But you're, truly, in no worse shape because it's a Tesla than you would be if this were any other vehicle right now.

You are NOT understanding.

You say that you do, but your comments say you don't.

All car manufactures are in the same boat? NO they aren't. Ask the body shops.

They ALL say that Tesla's are 2 to 3 times the wait for parts than ANY OTHER VENDOR.

Tesla's initial wait times were 1 year. Now its cut in half to 6 months. Some people cheer and applaud, but that's still longer than ANY other vendor.

I know what would help you and others understand.

Bring your Tesla to the shop where mine is and leave it parked there until mine is fixed. As soon as you park your car....state that Tesla is just like any other vendor...and keep saying it for months. Are you willing?