Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no Garlan. So sorry to hear that. I got reared ended a few years ago in a car we had had without any damage ever on it. Emotionally hurt and killed me to think about it and like you it was an inattentive driver’s fault which would have been totally preventable if they were paying attention. I’d feel like crying if anyone hit my Model 3, and yours is only a month older than mine. Feel for you. I remember seeing your posts while you were waiting like me to get our cars.

Did you take any photos? Even though you got it towed to this shop I’d probably call around to any other recommended shops in your area to see if they are in a better position to get you in sooner. Might be worth the tow there. Wonder if AAA auto membership would cover something like that. Let us know how it goes and how bad the estimate is. Has the other person’s insurance accept responsibility yet?

Thanks.

No, the other persons insurance hasn't accepted responsibility yet. The other person was the only one who got a ticket. I'm not sure how they wouldn't accept responsibility, but.....what do I know.

Yes...I will call around to see if there is someone better who can get everything done. It might be worth the effort.

Its a shame that we pay all of these premiums, but end up having to do all of the work.

Reactions: Nine2Five
One month old model 3 got rear ended. ~17k in damages. No frame damage. Happened on 5/4/19. I’m getting my car back next Friday 6/14. Parts came in extremely fast. Hope this makes you feel a little bit better.

Excellent. Where did you take your car?

You don't know how much I appreciate your response. Thanks for reaching out.

God bless you my friend.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
Thanks.

No, the other persons insurance hasn't accepted responsibility yet. The other person was the only one who got a ticket. I'm not sure how they wouldn't accept responsibility, but.....what do I know.

Yes...I will call around to see if there is someone better who can get everything done. It might be worth the effort.

Its a shame that we pay all of these premiums, but end up having to do all of the work.
That sucks. Just adds aggravation to an already annoying situation. Hope to other party fesses us and admits fault. Although of course they were since they got a ticket and rear ended you.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
That sucks. Just adds aggravation to an already annoying situation. Hope to other party fesses us and admits fault. Although of course they were since they got a ticket and rear ended you.

Thanks.

I'm hoping that its a simple thing. I can't see how they could deny fault. I wonder if they could be forced to be at fault some kind of way.
I originally thought that getting hit from the rear automatically puts you at fault.

Shows how much I know.

My S got rear ended last Friday night, could have been worse.
20190531_191959 - Edited.jpg

Thanks.

I'm hoping that its a simple thing. I can't see how they could deny fault. I wonder if they could be forced to be at fault some kind of way.
I originally thought that getting hit from the rear automatically puts you at fault.

Shows how much I know.
It pretty much does. The other party would have to show you are at fault, which is very difficult to do. Unless there was some evidence of you cutting in front of them and jamming the breaks, or backing up into them, it's considered following too closely. I don't see a situation where you will have an issue, but again, annoying.

Reactions: neroden
Don’t forget to bug your insurance about lost resale value, there was some technical term people were throwing around here a while back... i think it’s even more important in a tesla.

Not resale value... wording is very important. Diminished value is what you are looking for. Other party just paying for the damages is not enough. You need to be made whole again. Every time I see a model 3 rear ended it hurts my heart.

Don’t forget to bug your insurance about lost resale value, there was some technical term people were throwing around here a while back... i think it’s even more important in a tesla.
Diminished value.

Check other shops. I talked to a few shops and the one with lots of cars stacked up said Tesla parts were slow expect at least 2-3 months for a rear quarter dent. Another shop said I needed a light, some chrome strips, and misc parts. Tesla was slower than others (no aftermarket parts) but not terrible. Said 3 weeks.

Tesla sucks for parts for sure, but I think some shops are hiding behind that excuse.

Also, once your bodyshop got the parts on order, give this email a shout: [email protected] , let them know your situation and see if they can expedite the parts for you.

Xander, one of the Tesla Body Shop Advocate, is awesome, responsive and helpful (literally, he is the best Tesla employee that I've deal with, if you follow my post I have nothing good to say with Tesla employee at all), he helped me out with the parts that is not in stock during my model 3 repair.

Good luck to you.

Also, once your bodyshop got the parts on order, give this email a shout: [email protected] , let them know your situation and see if they can expedite the parts for you.

Xander, one of the Tesla Body Shop Advocate, is awesome, responsive and helpful (literally, he is the best Tesla employee that I've deal with, if you follow my post I have nothing good to say with Tesla employee at all), he helped me out with the parts that is not in stock during my model 3 repair.

Good luck to you.

Absolutely FANTASTIC.

You are awesome!!!

I'm certianly going to email them and let them know my situation.

Fantastic!!!

Reactions: Runnergirl
some people have had their cars totaled once diminished value and loss of use is considered...if it takes a long time for repair they have to pay for a rental of equivalent value otherwise the dollars can add up for insurance...Im not sure how much damage was done but it can get up to 10K real fast with diminished value and loss of use...you may need to hire diminished value guy to get you a objective number for diminished value...some have lawyered up esp if your or their insurance not very responsive, which they are not likely to be...many threads about this subject on here.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
some people have had their cars totaled once diminished value and loss of use is considered...if it takes a long time for repair they have to pay for a rental of equivalent value otherwise the dollars can add up for insurance...Im not sure how much damage was done but it can get up to 10K real fast with diminished value and loss of use...you may need to hire diminished value guy to get you a objective number for diminished value...some have lawyered up esp if your or their insurance not very responsive, which they are not likely to be...many threads about this subject on here.

Wow...that's certainly not a good thing at all.