Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.

I'm hoping that its a simple thing. I can't see how they could deny fault. I wonder if they could be forced to be at fault some kind of way.
I originally thought that getting hit from the rear automatically puts you at fault.

Shows how much I know.

Man, sorry you are having to deal with this. Hope you didn’t get injured.

Insurance stinks sometimes. I was hit by an uninsured driver with no license and it still took my insurance company a few weeks to refund my deductible under my $0 uninsured deductible rider. And it took them 2 weeks to total out my S that was obviously totaled (my wheels and rear door ended up a football field away from my car, and every single panel was bent plus airbags, but sure, let’s see if we can put her back together :rolleyes: )

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and samk579
Man, sorry you are having to deal with this. Hope you didn’t get injured.

Insurance stinks sometimes. I was hit by an uninsured driver with no license and it still took my insurance company a few weeks to refund my deductible under my $0 uninsured deductible rider. And it took them 2 weeks to total out my S that was obviously totaled (my wheels and rear door ended up a football field away from my car, and every single panel was bent plus airbags, but sure, let’s see if we can put her back together :rolleyes: )

No injuries.

Oh no....

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Oh no....

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

No worries, I turned it into my 3LR first production edition, so worked out in the end. ;) Got more for my S from insurance than I would have sold it for (I trade cars in normally). And the S made a very ugly accident into something I walked away from with no lasting injuries. So she did her duty.

Everyone,

I was rear ended today. One lady not paying attention causing tremendous grief and sadness.

Car is inoperable. ( It said it on the screen ).

It was towed to a Tesla suggest repair place. Got there and there were many Tesla's there.

Body shop was top of the line, however they told me that many Tesla's there were on their 3rd to 4th month of sitting there because there are so few Tesla parts available.

I absolutely LOVE Tesla, but I can't recommend them in my current state.

I reached out to Tesla and was told by the rep. AND I QUOTE. " We have no customer facing team at the moment that can give you any information on the availability of parts".

That was it.

….Oh well. I suppose I just have to keep paying my car note.
I'm in a related situation waiting for rear roof glass to become available (non-collision related), and got the same "We don't know when it will be available" response. I'm just turning the corner towards month #2 of waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
@Garlan Garner , if in Illinois you are able to go for diminished value claim, look into it quickly to see what's involved. I seem to recall reading that states are different, some don't allow it, and then I also seem to recall reading that if you go through your insurance you can't go for diminished value. All this is vaguely what I remember reading and could be wrong but with a car of the value of a p3D, and less than a year old, it does have some real value to you towards making you whole so worth the time and effort to look into before going through any claim process. I'm sure there are TMC owners in Illinois who can better inform you and it sure seems like rear ended accidents are prevalent enough to have a number of viewpoints on how to proceed.

Reactions: neroden
Thanks.

No, the other persons insurance hasn't accepted responsibility yet. The other person was the only one who got a ticket. I'm not sure how they wouldn't accept responsibility, but.....what do I know.

Yes...I will call around to see if there is someone better who can get everything done. It might be worth the effort.

Its a shame that we pay all of these premiums, but end up having to do all of the work.
I uploaded the video to my insurance. It was pretty clear who was at fault.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51 and Dmagyar
Sorry @Garlan Garner - you waited a long time for your car and got the best of the best - all boxes checked.

What really sucks here is the loss of FUSC If the car is a total.

I am fearful insurance wouldn’t cover that. :(

Well, I'm not going to think about that. I don't believe its a total.

It would be a shame on Tesla's part if FUSC isn't allowed to be restored when a situation like this occurs.

What video did you upload?

Sentry does not have the camera in the back....or I would have had that as an option.
The repeater videos do a good job of determining who is at fault even if you can’t see directly behind the car. In my case he hit me on the rear corner so I have it all complete with flying plastic bits. The biggest thing is it’s obvious I was at an intersection and driving responsibly.

I'm in a related situation waiting for rear roof glass to become available (non-collision related), and got the same "We don't know when it will be available" response. I'm just turning the corner towards month #2 of waiting.

I might be in the same situation.... My rear glass developed a crack right over the brake light after 2 weeks of ownership.

Scheduled service for 6/11. Was asked to send pictures to the service center via SMS, which I did the day before yesterday. Still haven't heard anything back from them.

I read in a different thread here several others with the same issue with the glass. Maybe it's one of those things that will turn into a recall??? Not sure it Tesla would be able to handle it.

Well, I'm not going to think about that. I don't believe its a total.

It would be a shame on Tesla's part if FUSC isn't allowed to be restored when a situation like this occurs.
There is a pretty high chance if your car is totaled you are going to lose the FUSC and the lifetime connectivity. I specifically asked about the connectivity when I got my new 3 (original was rear ended and totaled) and was told it is tied to VIN and they cannot transfer it.

My car drove just fine, so if your car said it was inop, I would, sadly, be leaning towards hoping they total it. :(

I pay an additional $35 a year for “Car Replacement Assistance” through my insurer. If the car is a total loss, they pay 20% above the book value of the vehicle, irrespective of the loan balance. Our cars are so expensive to repair, insurers often decide to total them. This option gives some additional protection.

There is a pretty high chance if your car is totaled you are going to lose the FUSC and the lifetime connectivity. I specifically asked about the connectivity when I got my new 3 (original was rear ended and totaled) and was told it is tied to VIN and they cannot transfer it.

My car drove just fine, so if your car said it was inop, I would, sadly, be leaning towards hoping they total it. :(

It stinks, but why would Tesla fund this? It's the insurance company's responsibility to get you back on the road or pay fair market value for the car. Typically the market value for a car of similar age, mileage, and features. If this has significant value it would show up in resale prices. They have no obligation to replace with a new car.

This might be an advantage for Tesla to provide insurance. They could structure the policy however they wanted.

It stinks, but why would Tesla fund this? It's the insurance company's responsibility to get you back on the road or pay fair market value for the car. Typically the market value for a car of similar age, mileage, and features. If this has significant value it would show up in resale prices. They have no obligation to replace with a new car.

This might be an advantage for Tesla to provide insurance. They could structure the policy however they wanted.
That is true, it is harder for these companies to be able to evaluate those items since there is no Moroney sticker line item price for them.