Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rebuilt my model 3, purchased from IAAI. I had a similar issue as yourself. “Software Upgrade Required” message. Software updates would install but would “fail”. Mobile tech told me it was the RCM. However, after a new RCM I am still dealing with the same problem.

Oh No. Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully since Tesla told me what the problem is - AND ordered the part - AND will do the install.....They will fix the problem for good before returning it to me.

How did it go? It’s been four weeks since I’ve gotten the car back but the insurance company is still reviewing the DV claim for me.
I’ll get the appraisal report in about 3 weeks, then I can submit to the insurance company for the DV. The guy took all kinds of pictures and paint thickness measurements. I’m hoping I’ll have the money before Christmas. :)

BTW, Tesla paint is not thin apparently. It’s average thickness according to the appraiser.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I’ll get the appraisal report in about 3 weeks, then I can submit to the insurance company for the DV. The guy took all kinds of pictures and paint thickness measurements. I’m hoping I’ll have the money before Christmas. :)

BTW, Tesla paint is not thin apparently. It’s average thickness according to the appraiser.

Appraisal report in 3 weeks? Seriously?

I had my appraisal report in 2 days. Of course I forced the issue, but I called the appraiser at home and asked him where he was in the process.

He got it done in 2 days.

Update.

Tesla determined that my Restraint Control Unit needs to be replaced. They issued an order for it. The order is open.

I called Tesla support twice this morning because my phone app still says "Ready for Pickup". I already picked it up.

Tesla Customer Support called the Grand Avenue Tesla Service Center. no answer. no answer. no answer.

I called no answer. no answer.

So....the app says that my car is ready for pickup....and I'm driving it. ( new issue after service center visit ).
So....the car won't auto lock when I walk away. ( new issue after service center visit ).
So....my dashcam won't start up. ( new issue after service center visit ).

So....car still won't update ( restraint control unit was ordered by Tesla ).

There is nowhere to escalate to. Tesla customer service was perfectly happy with the fact that they could neither contact the Grand Avenue location, nor the Westmont location.

I really wish I had known what Tesla service was going to be like.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
Indeed their insurance is covering every single day of car rental. No court at all.

Over $2000 in car rental fees alone.

Most insurance companies net over $2billion dollars per year.....my accident was nothing to them.

Keep in mind though....that I filed the insurance claim with the insurance company of the lady who hit me. They HAVE to cover my rental for however long the repair takes.

MY insurance company only covered me for 30 days.

The correction I would make to your statement is that they only have to cover you within the limits she paid for. Once they cross those limits the insurance will stop paying and you may have to go after her. It sounds like they aren't there yet which is good.

Given the mixed demographic on this board its also a good time to remind everyone to up their auto insurance as you attain more wealth and acquire more stuff. Do not just buy state minimums if you are a home owner or well off. If someone isn't adequately compensated for damages and you are at fault they will come after you personally for the amount above the insurance payoff.

I really wish I had known what Tesla service was going to be like

Yeah, feel your pain. Only reliable way to talk to someone at my service center is to go in person. Not a trivial task as they are 1.5 hours away. Didn't used to be that way when I first got our S, but "service hell" sucks now.

If you don't want to go in person, I would just book another appointment in the app.

The correction I would make to your statement is that they only have to cover you within the limits she paid for. Once they cross those limits the insurance will stop paying and you may have to go after her. It sounds like they aren't there yet which is good.

Given the mixed demographic on this board its also a good time to remind everyone to up their auto insurance as you attain more wealth and acquire more stuff. Do not just buy state minimums if you are a home owner or well off. If someone isn't adequately compensated for damages and you are at fault they will come after you personally for the amount above the insurance payoff.

"Limits she paid for?" What does that mean? Do you mean the limits of her policy?

Everyone's Model 3 Tesla repair costs should fit within the defaults of the US average standard coverage.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Yeah, feel your pain. Only reliable way to talk to someone at my service center is to go in person. Not a trivial task as they are 1.5 hours away. Didn't used to be that way when I first got our S, but "service hell" sucks now.

If you don't want to go in person, I would just book another appointment in the app.

My nearest Service center is only 3 miles away, however the Service Center I had to use is over 26 miles away....( long story ).

Update.

Tesla determined that my Restraint Control Unit needs to be replaced. They issued an order for it. The order is open.

I called Tesla support twice this morning because my phone app still says "Ready for Pickup". I already picked it up.

Tesla Customer Support called the Grand Avenue Tesla Service Center. no answer. no answer. no answer.

I called no answer. no answer.

So....the app says that my car is ready for pickup....and I'm driving it. ( new issue after service center visit ).
So....the car won't auto lock when I walk away. ( new issue after service center visit ).
So....my dashcam won't start up. ( new issue after service center visit ).

So....car still won't update ( restraint control unit was ordered by Tesla ).

There is nowhere to escalate to. Tesla customer service was perfectly happy with the fact that they could neither contact the Grand Avenue location, nor the Westmont location.

I really wish I had known what Tesla service was going to be like.

The “ready for pickup” thing is common. They’ll be able to fix that by simply closing your file that’s left open. Many SCs do that mistake.

Once they fix that, it’s possible that the walk away lock will resume working. But I’d try a hard reboot again just in case.

I read your post about the unit needing to be replaced after every accident is simply not true I think - my car was in an accident and updated to 28.3 the day I got it back perfectly and new maps were downloaded as well.

Was your control unit damaged in the accident?

Not trying to defend the service center - most are pretty average and want you out as soon as possible - just trying to understand what’s going on.

• Informative
Reactions: Fossil Fool
The “ready for pickup” thing is common. They’ll be able to fix that by simply closing your file that’s left open. Many SCs do that mistake.

Once they fix that, it’s possible that the walk away lock will resume working. But I’d try a hard reboot again just in case.

I read your post about the unit needing to be replaced after every accident is simply not true I think - my car was in an accident and updated to 28.3 the day I got it back perfectly and new maps were downloaded as well.

Was your control unit damaged in the accident?

Not trying to defend the service center - most are pretty average and want you out as soon as possible - just trying to understand what’s going on.
The Restraint Control Module needs to be replaced after every accident that caused the SRS to activate. Whether it’s the airbags, or just the seatbelts. So in theory if you had light damage and your car was driveable, the RCM would not need to be replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: youngmcdonald
UPDATE:

Here I am. At the Service Center. Looking at the front end service desk folks.

1 playing solitaire on his phone and the other...I can't tell. I think to myself....well.....nothing wrong with that at all. I really don't care.

I decided to get an update to my service problem by calling into the toll free Tesla Customer service number.

I go through the prompts and then after about 5 min of poking around I finally get transferred to the building I'm currently sitting in.

I can hear ringing in my phone, but nothing at the Service Center. hmmmmmm.. Yep...the guy is still playing Sodoku

I then called Tesla Customer Service and went through the same scenario and ended up in the same boat because they couldn't contact the Service Center either.

Conclusion: I will have to drive over to the Service center myself for any updates on my car/parts.

Last edited:
Fake news. If Teslas got into 4-6 times fewer accidents than the average vehicle then Tesla liability insurance (which has nothing to do with Tesla repair costs) would be 4-6 times less expensive. They probably just don't sell enough Model 3 in Sweden to get statistically significant data.

Hmmmm. I don't think I will bow to gauge crashes based on insurance company greed.

Do you really believe "insurance companies" are being honest with their pricing?

I've got some nice swamp land for sale in Florida if you are interested.