Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Illinois is a diminished value state, which means you may be entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle after an auto accident. The statute of limitation on diminished value claims in Illinois is 5 years, and Illinois does have uninsured motorist coverage for diminished value. You can't submit a Illinois diminished value claim if you were the at-fault party in an accident, or if the damage was caused by something other than a collision.

Illinois Diminished Value - Diminished Value Claims and Appraisals in Illinois

Just read it on the internet. Might not be true. I would look into it. @Garlan Garner has been through the ringer on this. Maybe a little $ back in the pocketbook might take the sting away.

I just got my car back August 30th.

Accident was June 5th

The universal truth ... pick two!

In all seriousness, I’m glad your vehicle is repaired, repaired correctly, safely and to your satisfaction. It’s not a quick process, but I think it’s smart to choose quality and safety over speed. A month or two from now, that delay will seem like eons ago. A year from now, you’ll just be grateful you have an amazing car, and forget all about the delay.

Enjoy the drive!

68C7CAAD-68CB-43E6-9768-7829AF9D2FC8.jpeg

The universal truth ... pick two!

In all seriousness, I’m glad your vehicle is repaired, repaired correctly, safely and to your satisfaction. It’s not a quick process, but I think it’s smart to choose quality and safety over speed. A month or two from now, that delay will seem like eons ago. A year from now, you’ll just be grateful you have an amazing car, and forget all about the delay.

Enjoy the drive!

View attachment 452851
Haha. Seems like with body repair on a Tesla you only get one (Quality). Still, it's better than getting zero!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This right here is the number one reason I have not yet tried to sell my previous car (for the 7k it's worth). I definitely don't want to be stuck without a ride while my 3 sit's waiting on parts.

I recall seeing a pic of a huge Tesla parts facility that was being erected a while ago. I wonder if that's made any progress yet or why there is still such an issue with supplying parts. You would think the bottleneck would be solved by now.

Haha. Seems like with body repair on a Tesla you only get one (Quality). Still, it's better than getting zero!

Given the frame and body damage here, I don’t think the time was unreasonable. Sure, other brands would’ve allowed the banged up frame to be bent back. Tesla said NO - they prioritize safety over expedience. I’ll take that trade EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

UPDATE:

I took my car to Tesla today because it would NOT update successfully.

Conclusion - the repair shop "Auto Nation" did not replace the Restraint Control Module.

That's a device that is supposed to be replaced after EVERY accident.

Well, Well.... here we go back to the Tesla Certified Body Shop.

Well, at least they can do it while you wait! Presumably should take no more than 30 minutes.

UPDATE:

Conclusion - the repair shop "Auto Nation" did not replace the Restraint Control Module.

I also got my car fixed today, only to have to go back and have them reorder a rear bumper because it doesn't match the car. It's several shades lighter blue than the car. They said they'll even order two and show me both in order to ensure I get a good match.

The front bumper is very slightly lighter than the rest of car so I think I will keep it.

All of this is after waiting since November 2018 to get them replaced. I was aware of color matching issues with red and especially white cars, but not blue. My original bumpers matched perfectly.

UPDATE:

Do you mean a software OTA update failed?

Are they supposed to be replaced on all cars by all manufacturers after an accident? If so, I wonder how often that gets missed. And if it can potentially be missed, I guess it’s good that Tesla update caught it. Probably would never know on another vehicle. Well...until it’s too late.

Nope. I doubt it’ll take 30 minutes. You have to remove the center console before you remove the RCM. You have to reinstall the new RCM and they have to program it. Definitely more than 30 minutes of work.

Oh well. We could hope for a break. In any case since they screwed this up I imagine the body shop will drop everything and get it done right away. I guess 30 minutes was too aggressive but obviously it is a less than one day sort of thing (and that should be insisted upon of course).

The description actually makes it sound like it might well take about 30 minutes for the physical labor. I imagine center console removal is pretty trivial if you know what needs to be done! Fiddling around with programming will extend the time a bit though.

Oh well. We could hope for a break. In any case since they screwed this up I imagine the body shop will drop everything and get it done right away. I guess 30 minutes was too aggressive but obviously it is a less than one day sort of thing (and that should be insisted upon of course).

The description actually makes it sound like it might well take about 30 minutes for the physical labor. I imagine center console removal is pretty trivial if you know what needs to be done! Fiddling around with programming will extend the time a bit though.
I forgot that I had an estimate from an approved shop to do this exact work. Just looked at it, they quoted me 3.6 hrs of labor. That was with me paying out of pocket. If this was an insurance job the estimate quoted 5.4 hrs of labor lol.

Hit on May 7 while Parked. Quarter panel and bumper on driver side replaced. Glass broke too so they replaced that. Car dropped off on June 28.

Picked up the car on Aug 8. Outstanding work with pearl white color matching and repairs.
Total cost of repairs $17k

DV claim in progress.

Diminished value claim settled for $5000 for my 6 month old Model 3 Standard Range Plus (about 14% of new car sale price excluding tax).

Do you mean a software OTA update failed?

Are they supposed to be replaced on all cars by all manufacturers after an accident? If so, I wonder how often that gets missed. And if it can potentially be missed, I guess it’s good that Tesla update caught it. Probably would never know on another vehicle. Well...until it’s too late.

Indeed. the OTA failed.

I was told that it is to be replaced on ALL model 3's involved in an accident.

Just looked at it, they quoted me 3.6 hrs of labor. That was with me paying out of pocket. If this was an insurance job the estimate quoted 5.4 hrs of labor lol.

Funny the insurance quote is so much more. Whatever they can get! Yeah, so probably less than 2 hours of actual labor. It's always so crazy how many hours they bill for things. I sometimes see the billed hours for certain work on basic car maintenance and it always stuns me how long it is claimed to take, given I could do the same job, usually in less time, and it's not even my job and I have crappy equipment compared to what a shop has! As a specific example - a brake and rotor replacement. Pretty sure that would usually be billed at something like a minimum of 2 hours. That's with a full-on lift and a wide-open non-cramped work environment. Crazy!

In this case maybe it's accurate. They'll probably spend hours trying to figure out how to program it. :)

Anyway, Garlan will let us know how long it actually takes...I assume it will be same day in any case. I wonder if it will fix his problem...

Reactions: dennisvab
So how does it work with a rental when the other driver is at fault. Surely their insurance isn't covering months long waits right? Are you having to go to small claims court for it?

Indeed their insurance is covering every single day of car rental. No court at all.

Over $2000 in car rental fees alone.

Most insurance companies net over $2billion dollars per year.....my accident was nothing to them.

Keep in mind though....that I filed the insurance claim with the insurance company of the lady who hit me. They HAVE to cover my rental for however long the repair takes.

MY insurance company only covered me for 30 days.