Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Model X build quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally understand your feeling. Mine was taken back 5 min after delivery to fix the FWD. They drove 30+ miles back to my house after fixing. I almost feel like I bought an inventory/loaner.

While I like the FWD at the same time we have to be very careful and cautious every time we use them... there were a few times the doors were going to close on us. My wife makes jokes about them now but if it happens a few more times esp if our kids are hurt, she will tell me to get rid of the car. Now I have child protection on and disable key fob close-all.

Glad you got your X back and I totally feel you on closing the fwd on the kids.

I closed the FWD on my wife hitting her in the head. She was PISSED! But still let me keep the car...may not be the case if I did it on the kids.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I took delivery of my Model X yesterday. I could not find any qualiy issues inside the vehicle, but I did notice that the area behind the front doors is not painted. You only notice it when you open the front doors but it looks a bit cheap on a $100k car.

IMG_2160.JPG

Did you ask if it's normal?
I am waiting to hear back from the delivery center. I did not notice it during delivery. I took the vehicle straight from the delivery center to have Xpel ultimate installed on the entire vehicle. The Xpel installer pointed it out to me. They have installed Xpel on a lot of Model X' s and he said it was normal. However I figured I would reach out to the delivery center and see what they had to say.

I just had my X in for a similar noise. along with the snapping and bent trim piece on the FWD. The service tech diagnosed it and fixed it and it hasn't returned. From the repair order:

"Also, verified the creaking noise when the door is almost fully open. Isolated the noise to the rear hinge. Lowered the headliner to inspect and found the hinge cover rubbing against the upper racetrack trim. Modified the pinch sensor and rechecked the operation. The pinch sensor no longer contacts the chrome trim, resolving snapping sound. Trimmed the upper racetrack for additional clearance and this resolved the creaking noise when opening."

@gmtom1 - I have the same problem and hope to get this fixed soon. How long did it take for Tesla to fix this? thx

Took delivery about a week ago. Crawled all around and inside it and I was very happy with the fit and finish. Doors work well. While driving to work a couple of days later I hear a hissing noise from the front. I thought it might be the AC so I turned it off, but the hissing didn't go away. A few seconds later it stopped so I kept driving along. About a minute after I get a message that there is an error with the air suspension...

Take it in later that day. It's fixed the next day so I go to pick it up and then the air suspension failed 10 minutes away from the SC, and unfortunately after they had just closed. I found that to be particularly annoying but I'm over it.

It does have horrible ghosting. The X is my wife's car. I haven't told her about it because I'm hoping if she doesn't know about it she might not notice it. They really, really need a fix for the windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: Joer293 and cwerdna
Took Delivery 9/27 when I ordered end August, I was part of their Q3 push. During walkthrough, I did noticed a few issues. Most minor the but issues with the FWD is a little concerning. Due Bill was created and I'm taking it back to service 3 weeks after delivery (apparently the first appointment available). Most are minor issues - I can't help but think the Q3 production push did not help with some of the issues below. Some just seemed to be sloppy QC misses. The checklist was extremely helpful and would highly recommend using it when taking delivery.

FWD Passenger Side
- FWD handle trim not aligned to front door
- metal trim behind FWD door is bent outwards slightly
- FWD plastic on roof is bent outwards
- Lever button for passenger side FWD is a little loose (swivel left and right).
- FWD door making a squeaking noise right before it's fully closed.
- In general, the door looks not aligned (lower than it's supposed to be).

Driver Seat
- Wiring is exposed under seat

Passenger Seat
- plastic trim underneath seat is loose (not installed at all)

3rd row seat
- the seat in between the two seats are dirty

Detailing
- Rims not clean
- Frunk underside has smudges that cannot be cleaned
- 2nd row passenger side seatbelt buckle is dirty
- 2nd row driver side plastic sill on floor has smudges
- Tesla T on trunk has some minor vertical scratch lines

Windshield ghosting at night (but I have kind of gotten used to it after 4 days driving with it)

IMG_5066.JPG
IMG_5102.JPG
IMG_5105.JPG
IMG_5106.JPG
IMG_5107 (1).JPG

• Informative
Reactions: DriverOne
Picked up my X yesterday and was just about to write a post stating that the car was flawless. Lo and behold, this morning we discovered a crack in the roof glass of the left falcon wing. Sent pics to the service center and am awaiting its response. From others who have had similar issues,does the company try to get out of these issues by blaming an act of god or negligence on the driver's part, or has the company generally been responsive?

20161005_104948.jpg

20161005_132203.jpg

Picked up my X yesterday and was just about to write a post stating that the car was flawless. Lo and behold, this morning we discovered a crack in the roof glass of the left falcon wing. Sent pics to the service center and am awaiting its response. From others who have had similar issues,does the company try to get out of these issues by blaming an act of god or negligence on the driver's part, or has the company generally been responsive?

View attachment 197546

View attachment 197547
Not sure, but it looks like you might have even more serious issues. Your roof glass looks all warped and wavy. However, it could just be an optical or image processing issue.

Took delivery about a week ago. Crawled all around and inside it and I was very happy with the fit and finish. Doors work well. While driving to work a couple of days later I hear a hissing noise from the front. I thought it might be the AC so I turned it off, but the hissing didn't go away. A few seconds later it stopped so I kept driving along. About a minute after I get a message that there is an error with the air suspension...

Take it in later that day. It's fixed the next day so I go to pick it up and then the air suspension failed 10 minutes away from the SC, and unfortunately after they had just closed. I found that to be particularly annoying but I'm over it.

It does have horrible ghosting. The X is my wife's car. I haven't told her about it because I'm hoping if she doesn't know about it she might not notice it. They really, really need a fix for the windshield.

@NCEP: so what was that hissing noise? I do hear a noise like that coming under passenger side. It is heard for few minutes to hours even after vehicle is parked in the garage and/or during battery charging. It is very annoying.

Not sure, but it looks like you might have even more serious issues. Your roof glass looks all warped and wavy. However, it could just be an optical or image processing issue.

I think the reflection of the building's ceiling is confusing the view there. Could be helpful if there was a picture without such a strong reflection like that.
The way the picture came out it almost looks like the building panels are inside the vehicle.

Ours was flawless at delivery. Sadly, issues are starting to arise. The glass in the driver's side front door 'closed' before the door itself did, slamming the glass into the chrome trim. Surprisingly, nothing broke or seems to have been irreparably harmed.

Today the driver's side FWD (the one used most often as the child seat is on that side) got caught on a piece of chrome trim and made a painfully loud snap that shook the door once it broke free. After closing and reopening, I could see where it got caught. The door sensed it this time and stopped, sighting an 'obstacle detected'. Overriding the door to close and reopening has yielded no such reoccurence, but the chrome trim piece appears to have been pulled out some.

Not terribly concerned given the warranty and folk's reports about Tesla's responsiveness, but still disappointing in an $85,000 vehicle.

I took delivery of my Model X yesterday. I could not find any qualiy issues inside the vehicle, but I did notice that the area behind the front doors is not painted. You only notice it when you open the front doors but it looks a bit cheap on a $100k car.

View attachment 197042

I checked the inside of my door, and it looks like mine is painted. My X is Pearl White, so it was a little more subtle, but the nut is painted white as well as the metal: