Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recently produced Model X batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my brand new LR+ Model X last week. I'm convinced that the new battery technology is either in my vehicle OR they've done something different to affect efficiency from a driving and charging standpoint. I recently dropped my Tesla off to have some custom work done to it. I dropped it off with 240 miles of range remaining. It's been 3 full days of work (doors open, trunk/frunk open, etc) and my current range on the vehicle is 215. I remember in the past, a Model X could drain that much in several hours with sentry on. Additionally, when I charge on a 240V at home, I am able to charge much faster to get to my set percentage. Am I reading too much into this? Does anyone else have a brand new Model X (within the last month) that also feels this way?

edit: I should add that I know it hasn't been plugged in since I dropped it off (I've been checking constantly).

Yes you are, makes no sense. You might have a bit more efficient car so it might seem to ‘charge a bit faster’ in terms of mph, but that’s pretty much it. If it charges faster to a set battery percentage then the battery is smaller than it was.

Reactions: gaswalla
I just picked up my brand new LR+ Model X last week. I'm convinced that the new battery technology is either in my vehicle OR they've done something different to affect efficiency from a driving and charging standpoint. I recently dropped my Tesla off to have some custom work done to it. I dropped it off with 240 miles of range remaining. It's been 3 full days of work (doors open, trunk/frunk open, etc) and my current range on the vehicle is 215. I remember in the past, a Model X could drain that much in several hours with sentry on. Additionally, when I charge on a 240V at home, I am able to charge much faster to get to my set percentage. Am I reading too much into this? Does anyone else have a brand new Model X (within the last month) that also feels this way?
edit: I should add that I know it hasn't been plugged in since I dropped it off (I've been checking constantly).

If the car is in the shop (nonTesla I presume) and the doors are open, remember that climate is likely running. As long as there is enough charge on board for you to get home, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the car is in the shop (nonTesla I presume) and the doors are open, remember that climate is likely running. As long as there is enough charge on board for you to get home, I wouldn't worry about it.
haha what? I'm not worried at all about my battery. I was posting about the probability that new batteries might be in newly made X's and asking if anyone else thought that.

Nope.

Ah the Honda Civic loving post padder returns.

Thank you for your invaluable input on this matter also.

On topic though, like jmk writes faster charging is only possible in case your battery capacity is smaller than earlier models - all else (charging power) being equal.

Could theoretically be true though, if by software limiting a larger capacity battery to same range as the earlier, while also having a better efficiency vehicle.

Seems like a stretch though, since the efficiency enhancement would have to be quite significant for you to notice it..

Ah the Honda Civic loving post padder returns.

Thank you for your invaluable input on this matter also.

On topic though, like jmk writes faster charging is only possible in case your battery capacity is smaller than earlier models - all else (charging power) being equal.

Could theoretically be true though, if by software limiting a larger capacity battery to same range as the earlier, while also having a better efficiency vehicle.

Seems like a stretch though, since the efficiency enhancement would have to be quite significant for you to notice it..
“Nope” was the answer. No need to delve any deeper into it. Unless you’re just one of those people who like to hear yourself talk or re-read your own postings.

I don't think you could detect a battery chemistry change based on L2 charging at home. You are going to be onboard charger constrained before battery.

That being said, during reveals, Elon likes to say, "and these new features are ALREADY being installed in cars!" Since battery day is next week, it's possible they started them early.

Look behind your right front wheel and post a pic of the sticker on the battery. I think they still put them there. That will give us a part # that we can compare to older 100kWh packs.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
“Nope” was the answer. No need to delve any deeper into it. Unless you’re just one of those people who like to hear yourself talk or re-read your own postings.

Oh I'm sorry if I mistook your post as arrogant and unconstructive, when in fact it was apparently the exact opposite. I'm sure OP is happy you chimed in..

Look behind your right front wheel and post a pic of the sticker on the battery. I think they still put them there. That will give us a part # that we can compare to older 100kWh packs.

Good idea, best way to know for now.

I must say my previous thought that the new batteries were already being put in cars pre-battery day was challenged when I saw the leaked Roadrunner cell format. A major change like that would likely have been found out sooner. But fingers crossed none the less!

I just picked up my brand new LR+ Model X last week. <Cut> Am I reading too much into this? Does anyone else have a brand new Model X (within the last month) that also feels this way?

You're being really weird. So if everyone is thinking "no", they should not reply, and the post should just sit empty with no replies? Only people saying "yes" should respond?

No, everyone should of course reply.

The thing is I don't expect glide to have a less than one-month-old MX. If I am mistaken - my sincere apologies. But even then, an answer of "nope" to a quite detailed post without any additional details comes off as really glib and thus not very contributory. Also OP asked two distinct questions.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
No, everyone should of course reply.

The thing is I don't expect glide to have a less than one-month-old MX. If I am mistaken - my sincere apologies. But even then, an answer of "nope" to a quite detailed post without any additional details comes off as really glib and thus not very contributory. Also OP asked two distinct questions.
Stop stalking me bro.

Well, since battery day came and went without any significant news (except ofc for the extremely disappointing timeframe), its safe to assume the correct answer to the question is nope.

What is your battery rev. dmurphy?

Mine is a “G” rev. And battery day was SUPER significant - it’s absolutely fundamental to the future. Nothing disappointing about it at all - I’m more pumped than ever, to be honest. The future is bright and smogless, indeed.

Have models 3 and Y batteries gotten into S/X yet? Also, would it be out of the realm of possibility that either octovalve or superbottle made it to the S/X by now?