Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended tire pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
45PSI fully hot, not cold. My experience is that if you start your tires at 45PSI cold, as the Tesla Ranger will set it BTW, you'll get modestly uneven tire wear down the middle which screams "over inflated". But for range reasons you'll probably want it as high as feasible, so 41-42 PSI cold is about right depending on how much temperature swing you have locally. IIRC there are actually Model 3s out there with 42PSI on their door labels, also Musk has at least once suggested dropping the pressure if you want the ride to be a bit softer. Tesla hasn't been 100% consistent on this.

If you drop them to 39PSI cold you'll occasionally get tire pressure low nags at the start of the day, particularly if it is a colder than usual morning.

• Helpful
Reactions: Halloween81
Thanks for the info... only reason why I'm asking is because I have a model 3 Performance and I downgraded to 18in rims and tires, so just curious to see what PSI pressure are for the 18in tires, but 20in tires are recommended at 42 PSI... because my tire pressure sensor was showing under inflation, so I put it at 40 PSI and so far so good

Thanks for the info... only reason why I'm asking is because I have a model 3 Performance and I downgraded to 18in rims and tires, so just curious to see what PSI pressure are for the 18in tires, but 20in tires are recommended at 42 PSI... because my tire pressure sensor was showing under inflation, so I put it at 40 PSI and so far so good[/QUOTE
IMG_2687.jpg

Label as in a Swiss Model 3.

Thanks for the info... only reason why I'm asking is because I have a model 3 Performance and I downgraded to 18in rims and tires, so just curious to see what PSI pressure are for the 18in tires, but 20in tires are recommended at 42 PSI... because my tire pressure sensor was showing under inflation, so I put it at 40 PSI and so far so good

Performance with 18” has 42 psi cold on door Jam.

Recommended PSI doesn't change with a change in tire/wheel size.

Recommended PSI doesn't change with a change in tire/wheel size.
If I had a performance with 20" factory wheels/tires I would run at 50 PSI to help prevent damage from potholes. Also the load range seems inadequate for the tire provided.

As far as PSI goes I set my 18" Pilot Sport 4S tires to 45 PSI cold. The thing is I set that at 60 degrees. It was 40 degrees yesterday and running at 41-42 PSI and eventually increased.

My car does feel likes it's on skates... really sticky skates. Per SammichLover I plan on checking the center and outside tread depth to make sure I'm not ruining the tires. If it is off 1/32 I don't care.

If you guys ever need the range on a long trip just increase the pressure. Definitely does make a big difference.
Yup. I'm running lower for "around town". I've got a portable pump that makes bringing it up, as needed, really easy and a quality gauge with a bleeder that lets me set it more precisely than is probably necessary, so I don't have to rely on the TPMS or heaven forbid, the gauge of the portable pump. TPMS are sometimes of dubious accuracy and more importantly often you need to drive around with them to get them to get an updated pressure reading, kinda inconvenient.

If I had a performance with 20" factory wheels/tires I would run at 50 PSI to help prevent damage from potholes. Also the load range seems inadequate for the tire provided.

As far as PSI goes I set my 18" Pilot Sport 4S tires to 45 PSI cold. The thing is I set that at 60 degrees. It was 40 degrees yesterday and running at 41-42 PSI and eventually increased.

My car does feel likes it's on skates... really sticky skates. Per SammichLover I plan on checking the center and outside tread depth to make sure I'm not ruining the tires. If it is off 1/32 I don't care.

Running with higher tire pressure, depending on the tire, can help with the amount of wear the tire experiences and absolutely helps with the mileage the car returns.

On the other hand my experience is that running with higher pressure negatively affects the ride quality of the car, quite substantially if you drive on rougher roads like I often have to.

As soon as I get the firmware that enables setting TPMS where I want I will start running my tires at 39 PSI @ my 6,000 foot altitude. Doing that currently will put the car in alarm.