Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PS: They comped us the room for our troubles, so total cost of this trip is $24 for NYC dessert and about $20 in tolls - that's it!!
You forgot to account for the parking ticket... Or is that summarized under "tolls"? ;-)

Thanks for the report! I envy you for the experience and watch your trip as closely as possible from the other side of the big pond.

Hi all,

I've kept quiet for 23 pages, but I simply can't any longer.

This has been a very challenging week. At the beginning of the week it felt a lot like David vs Goliath... but then something happened that changed everything. Something that was very moving and pushed us forward despite the odds -- our customers and supporters began to reach out and let us know they are with us in this fight. We started getting messages from all around the world encouraging us to stand tall and not give in.

We thought long and hard about the fight ahead as we sat in the Connection 3 conference room just outside the final inspection area of the Fremont Factory at 11:01pm on Wednesday night. Should we hit the button and release the blog, or should we just stay silent and hope this passes as quickly as possible. The answer became clear, we simply could not stand by and let our customers and supporters down. You expect us to do what we think is best. You expect us to do things others would never do. And you expect us to do it despite the odds, so we did. We hit the button and published the blog.

Since the moment we hit the button, the response from the Tesla Community has been incredible!!! Words cannot describe how thankful we are to have your support as we continue our mission to simply have the truth be told.

What you are doing for us this weekend is AWESOME! We go to work every day committed to doing something that we believe will make a difference in the future. All of you should know that what you are doing for us this weekend inspires us and reminds us that there are people out there who believe in what we are doing and who are willing to stand behind us when the going gets tough. Priceless...

Thank you so much for what you are doing this weekend! It means more than you will ever know. I'll be cheering you on every step of the way :)

GeorgeB

Thanks for posting this George. For many of the Model S is not just an great electric car, it's a cause, for all of the reasons that don't need an explanation for those of use who believe in it. We'll stand by the company with all of the might we can muster. I just wish I had my car so I could join the group.

This is very exciting. I've cancelled everything for the weekend to follow. My feeble mind is getting confused as to who and where everyone is located. Can one of the smart folks please update, and expound on where and who everyone is located?

We have Aaron from Yonkers who started this all, John from West Chester PA (teslaguy), Ben (cinergy?) and Jack from the Boston area, Bryan from Maryland, and Eric?? from Maryland - we're all connected by email and cell. Thanks for asking. Please correct me if i have any names wrong - these are my notes from the con call Wed.

George

For those of us participating in the adventure this weekend, thank you so much for for cheering us on with your post!

We believe in you and Tesla Motors. We want the world to know just how fantastic this car really is. We won't sit by idly when misinformation is propagated - thus we've organized this road trip. People need to know that the future has arrived - that you can take an extended trip in an electric car - in a Tesla Model S.

Thanks again for your support and the support of the entire Tesla Motors Family -- we promise to make you proud!

Aaron Schildkraut

Hi all,

I've kept quiet for 23 pages, but I simply can't any longer.

This has been a very challenging week. At the beginning of the week it felt a lot like David vs Goliath... but then something happened that changed everything. Something that was very moving and pushed us forward despite the odds -- our customers and supporters began to reach out and let us know they are with us in this fight. We started getting messages from all around the world encouraging us to stand tall and not give in.

We thought long and hard about the fight ahead as we sat in the Connection 3 conference room just outside the final inspection area of the Fremont Factory at 11:01pm on Wednesday night. Should we hit the button and release the blog, or should we just stay silent and hope this passes as quickly as possible. The answer became clear, we simply could not stand by and let our customers and supporters down. You expect us to do what we think is best. You expect us to do things others would never do. And you expect us to do it despite the odds, so we did. We hit the button and published the blog.

Since the moment we hit the button, the response from the Tesla Community has been incredible!!! Words cannot describe how thankful we are to have your support as we continue our mission to simply have the truth be told.

What you are doing for us this weekend is AWESOME! We go to work every day committed to doing something that we believe will make a difference in the future. All of you should know that what you are doing for us this weekend inspires us and reminds us that there are people out there who believe in what we are doing and who are willing to stand behind us when the going gets tough. Priceless...

Thank you so much for what you are doing this weekend! It means more than you will ever know. I'll be cheering you on every step of the way :)

GeorgeB

- - - Updated - - -

All -

My stats I posted on the twitter page:

1st leg: Westchester (Yonkers), NY --> Wilmington, DE Supercharger:

147 Miles driven, 44.6 kWh used, 303 Wh/mile average!!!

Overall trip down: Westchester (Yonkers), NY --> Rockville, MD area:

255.9 Miles driven, 81.6 kWh used, 319 Wh/mile average for the trip!

If I had Range Charged @ home - I could have made it here by the skin of my teeth... That's impressive!

Aaron

George

For those of us participating in the adventure this weekend, thank you so much for for cheering us on with your post!

We believe in you and Tesla Motors. We want the world to know just how fantastic this car really is. We won't sit by idly when misinformation is propagated - thus we've organized this road trip. People need to know that the future has arrived - that you can take an extended trip in an electric car - in a Tesla Model S.

Thanks again for your support and the support of the entire Tesla Motors Family -- we promise to make you proud!

Aaron Schildkraut

GO Aaron! I wish the best for you and all people participating to the trip. :)

Good luck guys, i'll be following you as well. Also planning a trip in my 60kwh from DC to northern NJ next weekend (keenly interested in how those rutgers chargers work out ... Thats one of my backup plans if we cant get a charge at the hotel).

Its great to see all the excitement. This really is a fantastic community.

Tempus

GeorgeB every Tesla owner experienced anger followed by frustration and now jubilation with the recreation of the road trip. I praise the Tesla group for putting it together to prove the point, "Tesla Model S is an outstanding vehicle bar none!" False information will not impede the electric revolution.

Kent

We have Aaron from Yonkers who started this all, John from West Chester PA (teslaguy), Ben (cinergy?) and Jack from the Boston area, Bryan from Maryland, and Eric?? from Maryland - we're all connected by email and cell. Thanks for asking. Please correct me if i have any names wrong - these are my notes from the con call Wed.

You guys are awesome! I'll be cheering you on all weekend wearing my Tesla t-shirt!!

Last edited:
Here is an idea if it isn't too uncomfortable for you guys. Since it is warmer today than it was for the NYT'S attempt, turn the heat up so the difference between the HVAC system and the outside temp is closer to the difference between the temp in Jan and the HVAC of the NYT'S reporter.

George

Thanks to Tesla for standing tall and to all those participating in this weekend's journey for demonstrating the car's capabilities and their devotion to the cause. We are all proud of you and proud to be part of this community. Safe travels!

I'm sure we'll have a similar event in Norway next winter, in the middle of the permanent Arctic midnight, y'know. For instance through the mountains from Oslo to Bergen and back, 500 km each way. We just need some cars. And a few superchargers. (Hint, hint. :smile:)

BDPQ1hsCAAAsUKv.jpg
Copy from their tweets. Don't know how to link it. :tongue:

Last edited: