Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral Program Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! That's good news. I'm still looking for that elusive 3rd since everybody I know is waiting on the M3.
Hey Duffer et al,

I'm also waiting on my M3, but just visited the Tesla dealer to see the M3 in the showroom and was fascinated by the MS on the floor which looked so much better than the M3. Took a test drive and on a moment of weakness, placed a order on a S75D with Silver Metallic exterior and Cream Premium with Light Headliner. However, have not put my $2,500 down payment nor applied for the loan yet. On the verge of getting cold feet although I loved the car. It's a lot more car than I had intended to buy.

This $500 credit and unlimited supercharging offer might be the deal that makes it worthwhile for me to finalize the purchase. Exactly how does it work? The customer advisor that wrote up my agreement did not mention the availability of this credit at all and I am not sure how to get it inserted into the contract. Any suggestions?

Albert in OC, SoCal

This $500 credit and unlimited supercharging offer might be the deal that makes it worthwhile for me to finalize the purchase. Exactly how does it work? The customer advisor that wrote up my agreement did not mention the availability of this credit at all and I am not sure how to get it inserted into the contract. Any suggestions?

Albert in OC, SoCal

I just bought a model S last week and I'm absolutey loving it. I can understand the cold feet but don't worry, it's an awesome car.

They will ask you if you have a referral code when you pay your $2,500 deposit by credit card. The key is to make sure you get one from someone that hasn't referred anyone else. Only their first referral gets the $500 credit, and only five referrals get free supercharging. I will private message you my referral code, it is good for the $500 credit and free supercharging. Let me know if you have any other questions, I will help as much as I can.

The $500 credit is good for service or accessories from Tesla, not off the price of the car.

Last edited:
...They will ask you if you have a referral code when you pay your $2,500 deposit by credit card....
Type their code in during the deposit process. Or use a referral link to start the process. Don't simply tell them the code or the referrer's name, because if they forget to add it or don't add it correctly then when your car shows up if you notice the discrepancy it will take several days to straighten out. And if you don't notice or otherwise take delivery anyway they will not remedy it afterward.

That is incorrect. An owner's referral code can be used for more than five referrals. Once the first five referrals are made, the owner gains access to the "secret levels" of the referral program and can continue to refer as many new owners as they like.

from Tesla.com
Model S and Model X: Free Unlimited Supercharging
Owners can give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S or Model X. In addition to unlimited Supercharging, the first friend each owner refers between February 1 and April 30 will also receive a $500 credit toward service or accessories.

Super confusing, as you are saying this is just referring to the first level, then another level appears? I'm learning every day. Thanks!

Hey Duffer et al,

I'm also waiting on my M3, but just visited the Tesla dealer to see the M3 in the showroom and was fascinated by the MS on the floor which looked so much better than the M3. Took a test drive and on a moment of weakness, placed a order on a S75D with Silver Metallic exterior and Cream Premium with Light Headliner. However, have not put my $2,500 down payment nor applied for the loan yet. On the verge of getting cold feet although I loved the car. It's a lot more car than I had intended to buy.

Albert in OC, SoCal
Sorry about the delay in responding. I hate it when work gets in the way of my time here on TMC.

As others mentioned, when you place your order you will have the opportunity to enter an owner's referral code. By entering the code, your order form and your "MyTesla" page will both reflect unlimited free supercharging as well as the $500.00 credit.

I understand the "cold feet" comment, it is a fairly large amount of money. However, once you take possession of your very own MS the "cold feet" feeling goes away.

With either the M3 or the MS you are going to own a great car that you will start coming up with excuses to drive.

Sorry about the delay in responding. I hate it when work gets in the way of my time here on TMC.

As others mentioned, when you place your order you will have the opportunity to enter an owner's referral code. By entering the code, your order form and your "MyTesla" page will both reflect unlimited free supercharging as well as the $500.00 credit.

I understand the "cold feet" comment, it is a fairly large amount of money. However, once you take possession of your very own MS the "cold feet" feeling goes away.

With either the M3 or the MS you are going to own a great car that you will start coming up with excuses to drive.

To Duffer and all the kind members of this great forum who sent me private emails with offers of their referral codes and additional advice:

I started to answer each email individually, but then decide it would be better to describe my current situation and to express my appreciation publicly to all who responded to me.

I appreciate your kind reply and advice. However, I did a casual new car loan application online to my credit union to see what the maximum loan amount they would give me for my current income and mortgage obligation.

I was expecting to see an amount that would more than cover the total payment... instead, the amount was far less. I could get the amount increased by actually speaking to a loan consultant or I could dip into my investment accounts to buy the Model S 75D with autopilot, but the message was clear... I am lusting for a car that is out of my price range.

I decided to be realistic and will wait for the Model 3. I guess I should never have test driven the Model S (what a fantastic car!!!). It is hard to give up on the dream after that.

Appreciatively,
Albert

Reactions: Jack Tripper
Albert - it is good to be realistic and grounded. Thank you for posting an honest thought in a public forum.

Someone shared a spreadsheet in this forum a while ago. A Tesla MS/MX at $70-80k is like buying a gas car at $50k - if you intend to keep the car for 10yrs. The gas savings alone would likely amount to about $20-$30k - depending on how much you drive. Sure there is initial sticker stock, but not visiting the gas station every week adds up savings over time. Of corse with M3, there is still significant gas saving, but MS might get you more gas saving if you do travel a lot/far - where MS/MX free supercharger advantages kick in.

Cheers

Albert,

It's good to hear that you're not going to exceed your financial comfort level. It's unfortunate that more people can't or won't exercise this level of restraint. The MS is a fantastic car. Though, in a few years when you are ready to trade in your M3 I'm sure that the MS (or it's replacement) will be even better.

Regarding your future M3, don't feel that you are "settling" for a lesser vehicle. About a month ago I had the opportunity to talk to an M3 owner that also owns a P85 . He said that outside of the P85's straight line acceleration he actually prefers the overall handling of the M3, especially during spirited driving.

Albert - a CPO model S may still be in your price range. There is absolutely 100% I could afford a new model S much less a model X (a model 3 would be doable though), but with a smashing deal from the CPO program I was able to get my model S 85 for the same price (probably cheaper when you look at amenity vs amenity) as a model 3 (which I still wouldn't have). Granted I don't have autopilot and things like that, but the all electric with range was more important to me. Teslas are great vehicles but don't break your bank doing it. I had to stretch a bit to do mine, but it was just making some life changes a bit (less eatting out, etc) and not having to pull from retirement or anything (I wouldn't recommend that at all). So i probably am on the extreme low end for tesla owners.

That said I am still looking for my first referral (man I want that tesla radio flyer!), but, my friends, co-works and the like are in a similar monetary bracket (probably less since most have many kids) and wouldn't be able to come close to a new model s. But I know I will find someone and get my powerwheel car soon! MWHAHAHAH

Must be nice to get all these referrals. I have strangers come up to me all the time asking questions about my MS and I give them rides no less but never a referral. Family, friends, neighbours and strangers all want rides and are curious. I’ve given many people my referral code when they mentioned they were interested and these poeple have put the code in their phones and were extremely grateful. But I’ve never had one register on my account. I sometimes wonder if a person shows up at a Tesla store to place an order and the employee enters a buddies code would anyone be the wiser. The employee realizes after talking with the customer they really didn’t know the referral. Some of these people I refer don’t know me first hand and I would never know they actually purchased one or not.
The reason for my suspicion is I had reserved a new Tesla roof for my house and was talking to a sales rep at the store. I knew one of the gifts was a token to move up the line for installation and he proceeded to tell me he knew a guy that had some and would get back to me. I emailed him shortly there after asking him about it but he never he answered my emails. I haven’t been back to see if he is still employed there or not.