Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More detail on the EQE pricing.

The base models are a little sluggish and even the dual motor S is quicker than the AMG version, but it's probably the closest in competition (as a premium long wheelbase sedan) to the S.
Not everyone places rampant acceleration as their number one priority

More detail on the EQE pricing.

The base models are a little sluggish and even the dual motor S is quicker than the AMG version, but it's probably the closest in competition (as a premium long wheelbase sedan) to the S.

Went into the Benz dealer today and sat in the EQS, which is pretty similar to the EQE and the interior is miles, and I mean MILES ahead of anything Tesla has. The graphite grey with the AMG pack is beautiful. Sure, it's not as fast as the Plaid, but it is a much better car overall, to me anyway. I still have my Plaid on order, but I also put down a deposit on a configuration I built. Unless something special happens with the Plaid and we get delivery dates, I will most likely get this instead.

Went into the Benz dealer today and sat in the EQS, which is pretty similar to the EQE and the interior is miles, and I mean MILES ahead of anything Tesla has. The graphite grey with the AMG pack is beautiful. Sure, it's not as fast as the Plaid, but it is a much better car overall, to me anyway. I still have my Plaid on order, but I also put down a deposit on a configuration I built. Unless something special happens with the Plaid and we get delivery dates, I will most likely get this instead.
I’m hoping to sit in and drive an EQE 53 next day or so with the graphite grey AMG. The additional mass concerns me though, but hoping the 4 wheel steering offsets it

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
You won't be disappointed; the 53 AMG handles better than the M3P and drives much better. I drove the EQE 53 AMG yesterday and I have now cancelled my Plaid order. The build quality, looks, interior the crazy hyper screen and ceramic breaks etc etc. are just a complete package for me. Also, it can do the 0-100 in 3.18s if this is important. Not Plaid crazy quick, but quick enough for me.

Good luck to you all with Plaid orders, I have no doubt it will be a fun car.

Reactions: (crunch)
You won't be disappointed; the 53 AMG handles better than the M3P

Here's some test data:

The Merc is actually a whopping 4 seconds slower around the Autozeitung test track

It also has significantly longer braking distances.

Both probably can be attributed to the extra 700kg of weight. No overcoming the laws of physics.

Reactions: Burnt Toast
Here's some test data:

The Merc is actually a whopping 4 seconds slower around the Autozeitung test track

It also has significantly longer braking distances.

Both probably can be attributed to the extra 700kg of weight. No overcoming the laws of physics.
All of which is no issue if you dont have plans to export your car to a german test track, or indeed drive on any race track for that matter. I think you will also find the eqe more like 100to 150kg heavier than model S

All of which is no issue if you dont have plans to export your car to a german test track, or indeed drive on any race track for that matter. I think you will also find the eqe more like 100to 150kg heavier than model S

Note that I was responding with some test data to a very specific comment: "the 53 AMG handles better than the M3P"

But even if we take the Model S, which is much larger than the M3P, and a bit larger than the EQE, the weight difference is still 340kg. That's 3 rugby players in the back seat. EQE53 2528kg / Model S plaid 2187kg

Just returned from an eqe amg53 drive. As stated by others above it is very impressive.
Here is where it is superior to tesla S:
- cornering is noticably better even though its heavier. Its the 4 wheel steering
- regen at its strongest is about 50% more than tesla
- the voice system works. Heads up display.
- substantially more comfortable with massive quantities of well considered storage
- the nice smell of new leather
- proper small sized steering wheel and seating and wheel that go down very low, as well as ergonomically placed adjustment buttons on the door and on the steering wheel.
- hyperscreen was very impressive, but in reality the total actual screen size about the same as tesla S. The menu’s are well considered and way easier to select from when driving and hitting bumps, especially adjusting aircon temperature. Hyperscreen makes for a very next generation interior though. Shame it isnt available on the lower cost models. decent quality phone app mirroring.
- amazing turning circle for uturns with the 4 wheel steer
- the cameras for parking. They are next level impressive and intuitive
- standard brakes marginally superior to tesla standard brakes. They feel more stable.
I did not try the merc equivalent of ‘autopilot’, I did not try the sound sytem, lights, or wipers
The selectable sounds for driving are right up there with the stupidity of tesla fart and fireplace. I thought we had a harley davidson next to us until it was turned fully off. The changing LED isnt far behind in pointlessness But maybe its better at night.
At 0-100 in 4.4seconds its more than ample for any situation I would find myself in other than bragging rights with a plaid owner
The quietest EV I have driven though is the polestar 2.

Last edited:
Note that I was responding with some test data to a very specific comment: "the 53 AMG handles better than the M3P"

But even if we take the Model S, which is much larger than the M3P, and a bit larger than the EQE, the weight difference is still 340kg. That's 3 rugby players in the back seat. EQE53 2528kg / Model S plaid 2187kg

If you check the specs from each manufacturer rather than random sites you will find the mass difference to be more like 150kg between an S and an EQE53

Last edited:
  • Disagree
If you check the specs from each manufacturer rather than random sites you will find the mass difference to be more like 150kg between an S and an EQE53
You might be looking at figures for the old Model S. The refresh has had a major weight drop.

Here's from the Merc site = 2558kg

merc.jpg

And here's the figure from Tesla.com (converted from pounds) = 2166kg. A difference of 392 kgs, or 5 adult males.

tesla.png

Just returned from an eqe amg53 drive. As stated by others above it is very impressive.
Here is where it is superior to tesla S:
- cornering is noticably better even though its heavier. Its the 4 wheel steering
- substantially more comfortable with massive quantities of well considered storage
- proper small sized steering wheel and seating and wheel that go down very low, as well as ergonomically placed adjustment buttons on the door and on the steering wheel.
- hyperscreen was very impressive, but in reality the total actual screen size about the same as tesla S. The menu’s are well considered and way easier to select from when driving and hitting bumps, especially adjusting aircon temperature. Hyperscreen makes for a very next generation interior though. Shame it isnt available on the lower cost models. decent quality phone app mirroring.
- standard brakes marginally superior to tesla standard brakes. They feel more stable.
I did not try the merc equivalent of ‘autopilot’, I did not try the sound sytem, lights, or wipers
The selectable sounds for driving are right up there with the stupidity of tesla fart and fireplace. I thought we had a harley davidson next to us until it was turned fully off. The changing LED isnt far behind in pointlessness But maybe its better at night.
At 0-100 in 4.4seconds its more than ample for any situation I would find myself in other than bragging rights with a plaid owner
The quietest EV I have driven though is the polestar 2.
Does it have ultrasonics? That sounds like a joke but I still can't believe Tesla removed them. Never thought US would be a selling point but here we are!

Does it have ultrasonics? That sounds like a joke but I still can't believe Tesla removed them. Never thought US would be a selling point but here we are!
Yes 12 ultrasonic sensors. Coupled with the camera’s you have a 360 degree rotating view standing outside of the car looking at it with live surrounds (albeit a bit distorted on the surrounds but not relevant), so you can rotate your car to check parking on all 4 sides. Also has blind spot warning in the mirrors.

Yes 12 ultrasonic sensors. Coupled with the camera’s you have a 360 degree rotating view standing outside of the car looking at it with live surrounds (albeit a bit distorted on the surrounds but not relevant), so you can rotate your car to check parking on all 4 sides. Also has blind spot warning in the mirrors.
Hooray for not removing useful stuff for dumb reasons!

You might be looking at figures for the old Model S. The refresh has had a major weight drop.

Here's from the Merc site = 2558kg

View attachment 898036

And here's the figure from Tesla.com (converted from pounds) = 2166kg. A difference of 392 kgs, or 5 adult males.

View attachment 898037
Most of the additional mass is because the body is made from recycled steel rather than aluminium. I presume the crash repairers will be happy about no aluminium. The info is a bit conflicting however its claiming 100% carbon neutral build with 60% less Co2 from the steel production. Bolt on parts that pedestrians can hit such as bonnet and doors are aluminium

Last edited:
Here is where it is superior to tesla S...
The quietest EV I have driven though is the polestar 2

How do you even know what the plaid is like? did you go overseas and try it or are you comparing to a 10 year old australian model S?

None of your points seem to be based on anything objective. There is no chance that regen is 50% stronger and would go against all european reviews.

At the end of the day there is no point reasoning how it is better. Plaid just is not avaliable. If it was avaliable you would be buying it and not positing copium about mercedes and its polished turd EV

How do you even know what the plaid is like? did you go overseas and try it or are you comparing to a 10 year old australian model S?

None of your points seem to be based on anything objective. There is no chance that regen is 50% stronger and would go against all european reviews.

At the end of the day there is no point reasoning how it is better. Plaid just is not avaliable. If it was avaliable you would be buying it and not positing copium about mercedes and its polished turd EV
I’m comparing it to my current 2019 model S. At no time did I say this was a comparison to plaid, but you can read the specs on plaid and make your own assesment if you particularly want that comparison. Having driven two different S for 8 years, I can absolutely assure you the eqe regen is substantially stronger when set accordingly. As for my points not being objective, last time I checked model s or plaid specs / pics they did not have 4 wheel steer, HUD, leather, proper parking cameras, leather, decent storage etc. I also did not make comment about which was the better overall car as that is personal assesment on your own preferences. As for your statement that I would be buying a plaid if available. No, I would not be

Reactions: (crunch) and TehEno
I’m comparing it to my current 2019 model S. At no time did I say this was a comparison to plaid, but you can read the specs on plaid and make your own assesment if you particularly want that comparison. Having driven two different S for 8 years, I can absolutely assure you the eqe regen is substantially stronger when set accordingly. As for my points not being objective, last time I checked model s or plaid specs / pics they did not have 4 wheel steer, HUD, leather, proper parking cameras, leather, decent storage etc. I also did not make comment about which was the better overall car as that is personal assesment on your own preferences. As for your statement that I would be buying a plaid if available. No, I would not be
lets go back in time and compare it to the 2019 merc EV? Oh wait....