Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not likely, but certainly plausible. Gives the team a breather after the EoQ push and allows the hardware to be installed before delivery rather than scheduling an appointment with the SC to come back in. No real benefit to pushing units quickly at the start of a new quarter.

I think the safety theory is more plausible.
1649258614566.png

So I’ve been July for a while.. I had wrote it out of my mind so the time would go by faster.
Around the beginning of March I scrolled over to my X in the app and had a March 18-31 date. I was ecstatic! I began transferring money to one account to make the payment and take the car. I held that date for a week and built up anticipation the whole time, to eventually get thrown back into the July queue.
Haven’t moved since…
I tried to reach out to any SA really, to see if maybe I could get that “priority list promise” just to make myself feel better about it, but I can’t get anyone to respond to me.
The only person who has responded is Jorge when I inquired about switching to plaid, just to make the gears turn faster. But my wallet reminded me that I have taxes to pay and can’t really be doing all that..

If they wouldn’t have given me a date that was never going to happen I’d be in my normal “ignore it until it shows up” but now im just annoyed.
Anyone I could contact to get on this imaginary priority list so at least I feel better about it? Lol

I assume you are joking. Stop deliveries for the swivel screen to be enabled? That could be enabled at any time later?
maybe — In the past when Tesla introduces a new hardware feature, do they ever try and create any kind of break between cars with and without? Any history of doing that kind of thing eoq? I don’t view the new charger door and taillights as an upgrade — just different and I actually prefer the old set up ….

Ugh. My date also moved to July. Ordinarily I would be ok because that's how Tesla operates but given that I was waiting for a VIN re-match and was told it would be happening in the next few days, this is disappointing. I sure hope it is a mass move to July and in fact my car is being worked on as we speak.

maybe — In the past when Tesla introduces a new hardware feature, do they ever try and create any kind of break between cars with and without? Any history of doing that kind of thing eoq? I don’t view the new charger door and taillights as an upgrade — just different and I actually prefer the old set up ….
This isn't a halt on production. It's a halt on deliveries of cars already built.

Unfortunately my April 6 - April 21 EDD was just pushed back to July. Given the delays to April 15th everyones talking about I am not surprised.
You never know. On March 31, mine jumped from July with just a reservation number to March 31 with a VIN overnight. Unfortunately, I could not pick up the car for several days, and it went back to April 15 with the same VIN. However, now it is tomorrow (April 7) at 3 PM. So be sure to check your delivery date often.

You never know. On March 31, mine jumped from July with just a reservation number to March 31 with a VIN overnight. Unfortunately, I could not pick up the car for several days, and it went back to April 15 with the same VIN. However, now it is tomorrow (April 7) at 3 PM. So be sure to check your delivery date often.
Oh boy ... "be sure to check your delivery date often" is not a good recipe :) Is 35 times a day healthy?

So I’ve been July for a while.. I had wrote it out of my mind so the time would go by faster.
Around the beginning of March I scrolled over to my X in the app and had a March 18-31 date. I was ecstatic! I began transferring money to one account to make the payment and take the car. I held that date for a week and built up anticipation the whole time, to eventually get thrown back into the July queue.
Haven’t moved since…
I tried to reach out to any SA really, to see if maybe I could get that “priority list promise” just to make myself feel better about it, but I can’t get anyone to respond to me.
The only person who has responded is Jorge when I inquired about switching to plaid, just to make the gears turn faster. But my wallet reminded me that I have taxes to pay and can’t really be doing all that..

If they wouldn’t have given me a date that was never going to happen I’d be in my normal “ignore it until it shows up” but now im just annoyed.
Anyone I could contact to get on this imaginary priority list so at least I feel better about it? Lol
I just got moved from April 4-20 back to July as well. The Canucks must now be getting the latest batches. Congrats, but uhhh... 😤 Give us the matrix headlights if we're goin thru all this.

I just got moved from April 4-20 back to July as well. The Canucks must now be getting the latest batches. Congrats, but uhhh... 😤 Give us the matrix headlights if we're goin thru all this.
I've heard a couple of late 2020 orders who got EDDs in April. I've also heard that their dates have rolled back to July for some. Mine is still reading August - it never changed. Whatever is happening because of the hold is making it...the same ol' thing with Tesla.

I'm not holding my breath on anything...other than the fact that Tesla will hold a party tomorrow in Texas.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Sounded like you were arguing that the idea they would pause deliveries after an EoQ push to add a piece of hardware for a non-safety concern was completely unthinkable, and my counter-point was that it's not entirely unthinkable. It probably is a firmware issue.
I think the point @mswlogo is making, and essentially the same one i made earlier is that the only reason to stop deliveries is if it is an issue that would require an expensive recall later, and they aren't going to do recalls over non-safety issues. Anything non-essential like a swivel screen isn't going to fit that requirement because they already made and delivered 1000s of cars without it, and they are surely not going to recall any of them just to add a swivel. FSD computer hardware updates would be the same, since they would only update FSD hardware for people who bought FSD anyway (or who will pay out of pocket for the update because they do the monthly subscription).

Most likely Tesla knew about this safety issue just before the end of quarter and decided to either maximize quarter deliveries since they were so close or they knew the fix wasn't ready yet anyway. I bet a lot of existing delivered cars are going to get recalled later this month to fix the same issue (whatever it happens to be).

I just got a fancy letter in the mail from Tesla in Austin.

Printed on fancy coated paper, as was the envelope. Thought it might be my invite to the Cyber Rodeo until I saw it is a recall notice on my brand new 2021 field model Model X LR.

Turned out to be the “no seat belt reminder chime at startup” software issue long since fixed by an OTA update.

Lots of people seem to be going to the biggest BBQ in Texas this week at the Austin plant opening GIGAFEST TEXAS! I’ll be there with my new Red/Cream 2021 6 Seat LR. Say hello when you see me which is easy as I am 6’9” tall with a Black Tesla hat. Viva Tesla Texas
It's still not clear to me how they picked the invitees - we're a local, Austin 2-Tesla household with an X on order so I was holding out hope that we'd get an invite, but no dice.

I think the point @mswlogo is making, and essentially the same one i made earlier is that the only reason to stop deliveries is if it is an issue that would require an expensive recall later, and they aren't going to do recalls over non-safety issues.
That seems like the logical reason, but this sub-discussion started with this post from @sorka:

I talked to my DS, who has been great, btw. She confirmed my new car is built. I said I already figured that since the vin was a hair older than the one I rejected. Even though my EDD says April 4-8, she said they are holding ALL Xs produced recently until after April 15th because they are retrofitting them with something that is going to be "exciting". She said it's NOT the matrix headlights but wouldn't tell me what it was. I'm not sure she really knows.
I doubt both are true: either there will be a mystery upgrade as suggested to @sorka, or there is a safety fix.