Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refuel 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the tracks I have been to this is a self-declaration - the owner signs it. The track will recommend that you get a mechanic to go over everything, but it's all about protecting the track from any possible liability.

When doing a tech form for my Roadster I just put N/A whenever it talks about gas lines, etc.

Every Model S out there is probably too new to have any of the issues listed. Main thing is to check your tire pressures and re-torque your wheel nuts. I'd do both of those things AT the track. (Since I won't have my torque wrench with me hopefully I can borrow one.)

As long as you aren't 'racing' and that means keeping timed laps doesn't your regular auto insurance apply? That's what I was told about 10 years ago when I did a BMW club weekend drive event at least.

You should check your specific policy. Most policies these days don't cover use on "non-public roads". I called my carrier last week to ask a question specifically about a non-timed event held on a track and they stated that only coverage is only for public roads. LS isn't a public road...

Main thing is to check your tire pressures and re-torque your wheel nuts. I'd do both of those things AT the track. (Since I won't have my torque wrench with me hopefully I can borrow one.)

FWIW, I just ordered a torque wrench to bring (the one I have maxes out a 100 ft/lb, so needed a higher top end...).

No, in all seriousness, it's in case the car catches on fire. It'll provide just a smidge of protection while you use your arms to get out of the car. These guys are used to ICE cars, what can I say?

I have to wear a fire suit when I'm racing.

IMG_1883.JPG

Otherwise it's long sleeves. Fortunately. The fire suit is a pain in the butt. And hot.

No, in all seriousness, it's in case the car catches on fire. It'll provide just a smidge of protection while you use your arms to get out of the car. These guys are used to ICE cars, what can I say?

I have to wear a fire suit when I'm racing.

Otherwise it's long sleeves. Fortunately. The fire suit is a pain in the butt. And hot.

you can also use nomex long johns. its not quite as nice as hanging out in a summer breeze in shorts, but its better than a full fire suit.
but, it all depends what your priorities are.

You should check your specific policy. Most policies these days don't cover use on "non-public roads". I called my carrier last week to ask a question specifically about a non-timed event held on a track and they stated that only coverage is only for public roads. LS isn't a public road...

Right. Insurance companies barely cover accidents that occur on the road that they're provably liable to cover without a fight. They'll find a loophole for a track accident, guaranteed. Most policies used to say only "timed events" were excluded, but with the rise of HPDEs, most changed policy wordings to "non-public roads" like ZBB said.

I should have a torque wrench you guys can borrow, I just need to check it goes high enough. Nothing special, but gets the job done. I should also have a portable compressor, assuming it can handle the startup inrush at our specified tire pressures. I'll have to check the manual. High pressures can sometimes blow a fuse.

Anyone else doing the TT? I'm still on the fence and self-conscious about keeping a better driver from participating in it.

I should also have a portable compressor, assuming it can handle the startup inrush at our specified tire pressures. I'll have to check the manual. High pressures can sometimes blow a fuse.

I keep a portable compressor in the car and haven't had any issues using it to top off pressure in the tires every once in a while. Used it a few times last week before I could get a slow leek fixed too...