Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trip stats do look fantastic! I may have missed this if it is already going to be in 2.0 or 3.0. If so, I apologize. If not, I'd like put in a request for a 3.0 feature, but only for long after your recovery period is underway. That request would be that you make the trip stats easily "forwardable" via text message or email, etc.--preferably with the ability to add additional notes.

Also, since I'm already writing with your surgery looming, I'm just wondering why on the trip stats you chose to display energy usage in kWh/100 miles, instead of the way Tesla displays it, which is wh/mi. I realize to convert from your units to the Tesla units we just need to leave out the decimal point, which is easy enough, but your other figures also show stats on a per mile basis, so I was just wondering if you had a reason to have this one stat be different, and also be in a format different from the one we are used to seeing it in. If you didn't, I'd respectfully suggest switching to the units we are all used to seeing displayed in our cars, which is wh/mi.

Thanks!

And I add my voice to all those wishing you luck with the operation, and a speedy recovery.

Part of the reason is because I read that kWh per 100 km is how "MPG" is displayed in Europe. I can change it to WH/Mi and Wh/km if that's what people want. How do you want the stats to be forwarded? Maybe I'll just copy it to your clipboard and you can paste it to whoever?

Part of the reason is because I read that kWh per 100 km is how "MPG" is displayed in Europe. I can change it to WH/Mi and Wh/km if that's what people want. How do you want the stats to be forwarded? Maybe I'll just copy it to your clipboard and you can paste it to whoever?
I would vote for Wh/m because it is independent of country and is what the car has taught me to use. Otherwise it would be MpG using imperial gallons.

How do you want the stats to be forwarded? Maybe I'll just copy it to your clipboard and you can paste it to whoever?
Thanks, Allen.

It would be great if the stats forwarding option could just pop up the generic forwarding that offers the basic options of text, email, Facebook, etc. Personally I think text and email would probably be sufficient if that is simpler than just "calling" (or whatever the programming term is for it) the generic OS forwarding routine.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better to keep it open during his absence? That way we can have some peer to peer support.

Especially new users are likely to be confused about the limitations of the Tesla API, we could make sure that all the knowledge contained in this thread is used to make that clear. Perhaps some ideas are even generated for 4.0 ;)

An update to those following my life: I made it Florida after a tornado scare while driving through North Carolina.
http://igif.co?fIRlp168XuC6Q

Speaking of which, I'm really excited right now, because my GIF keyboard app that I've been working on in parallel to the Remote S app just went live in the app store! This app took me five months to create because working on the Remote S app slowed me down from finishing it.

Pre-op is in a few hours and then surgery the next day. My lawyer responded to Tesla and I will keep you guys in the loop. This is going to be a life changing week for me.

Hey mods, perhaps it makes sense to close this thread once Allen gets to his destination than let him open up a new thread once he is ready to engage with us again....?

I'll still be around to check on this thread.

Wouldn't it be better to keep it open during his absence? That way we can have some peer to peer support.

Especially new users are likely to be confused about the limitations of the Tesla API, we could make sure that all the knowledge contained in this thread is used to make that clear. Perhaps some ideas are even generated for 4.0 ;)

Version 2.0 isn't even out yet and you're talking about version 4.0? :) glad that you guys love this app this much!

An update to those following my life: I made it Florida after a tornado scare while driving through North Carolina.
http://igif.co?fIRlp168XuC6Q

Speaking of which, I'm really excited right now, because my GIF keyboard app that I've been working on in parallel to the Remote S app just went live in the app store! This app took me five months to create because working on the Remote S app slowed me down from finishing it.

Pre-op is in a few hours and then surgery the next day. My lawyer responded to Tesla and I will keep you guys in the loop. This is going to be a life changing week for me.

I'll still be around to check on this thread.

Version 2.0 isn't even out yet and you're talking about version 4.0? :) glad that you guys love this app this much!

Congratulations and good luck! See you on the other side.

For non-electric cars, people in mainland Europe use litres/100km to describe fuel consumption. In the UK, we have historically used Miles per (imperial) gallon, although nowadays we buy our fuel in litres while still using miles on our speedometers - so neither of the common measures is actually useful! Most people still seem to talk in MPG, though car manufacturers often quote litre/100km as well.

For EVs, I was going to say that I'd never seen your "kWh/100km" metric anywhere, but a quick check shows that BMW does quote that in its EV specifications; however, Nissan quote Wh/km. Renault just say that their EVs have a fuel consumption of "0 MPG", while Volkswagen simply say "N/A" for their electric models. Citroen don't seem to say anything about consumption. CO2 (as grams/km) is widely quoted for both EVs and conventional cars, since it's important for tax purposes, but all EVs advertize zero g/km.

So Wh/mile and Wh/km are what Tesla report on the screen in the car, and there's no consensus to report anything else. In my opinion, these figures (Wh/mile or Wh/km depending on whether you are displaying everything else in miles or km) are the only important ones. You could display an MPGe figure for comparison to ICE cars; I don't personally like these much as they are extremely arbitrary, based on a lot of assumptions - but if you are doing so, then it wants to be MPG if the rest of the display shows miles, or litres/100km if the rest of the display shows km. Note also that this isn't a Europe/N.America difference - Model S in all markets has the km/miles configuration choice.

While we are talking about units, I haven't checked what you do with temperatures, but note that the C/F choice for temperatures is not locked to the miles/km choice for distance. Most (but not all) people in the UK will want miles + temperature in C.

(I haven't bought RemoteS yet, but plan to do so when 2.0 is available).

Great news! Tesla accepted the changes to the icon and logo and no longer have complaints about the app. We're good to go with continuing with the app. Exciting!

I'm currently doing Pre-Op. Just finished seeing my anesthesiologist. Everything is good to go. Surgery is tomorrow morning. See you guys on the other side!
image.jpg

For non-electric cars, people in mainland Europe use litres/100km to describe fuel consumption. In the UK, we have historically used Miles per (imperial) gallon, although nowadays we buy our fuel in litres while still using miles on our speedometers - so neither of the common measures is actually useful! Most people still seem to talk in MPG, though car manufacturers often quote litre/100km as well.

For EVs, I was going to say that I'd never seen your "kWh/100km" metric anywhere, but a quick check shows that BMW does quote that in its EV specifications; however, Nissan quote Wh/km. Renault just say that their EVs have a fuel consumption of "0 MPG", while Volkswagen simply say "N/A" for their electric models. Citroen don't seem to say anything about consumption. CO2 (as grams/km) is widely quoted for both EVs and conventional cars, since it's important for tax purposes, but all EVs advertize zero g/km.

So Wh/mile and Wh/km are what Tesla report on the screen in the car, and there's no consensus to report anything else. In my opinion, these figures (Wh/mile or Wh/km depending on whether you are displaying everything else in miles or km) are the only important ones. You could display an MPGe figure for comparison to ICE cars; I don't personally like these much as they are extremely arbitrary, based on a lot of assumptions - but if you are doing so, then it wants to be MPG if the rest of the display shows miles, or litres/100km if the rest of the display shows km. Note also that this isn't a Europe/N.America difference - Model S in all markets has the km/miles configuration choice.

While we are talking about units, I haven't checked what you do with temperatures, but note that the C/F choice for temperatures is not locked to the miles/km choice for distance. Most (but not all) people in the UK will want miles + temperature in C.

(I haven't bought RemoteS yet, but plan to do so when 2.0 is available).

Thanks for the research. Wh/mi or Wh/km will be shown for version 3.0 over MPGe. F/C is drawn from the car's F/C settings like Mi/KM settings. Version 2.0 also allows you to change it to be independent of the car settings.

Allen, as many others have already communicated, best of luck with your surgery and recovery. We're all very appreciative of all the work (and the feedback you've accepted) with this app. I just noticed that my police scanner app on my phone is yours as well, I wouldn't be surprised if there are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.