Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of slower accelleration after latest update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That chart shows KW rating *NOT* being “constant” but building in a linear fashion to peak around 45-50mph, does it not? Acceleration and speed are smooth, but not “constant”.

Oh no, now we need to go into (very simple) physics to explain power, force and torque. I‘ll try to keep it simple.

If you have a car accelerating at a constant rate you need a constant force. Force times speed is power, so at constant acceleration the power has to increase linearly.

Torque is Force times the lever arm. In this case the wheel plus some gearing in between. But since the lever arm, the gearing and the Force are constant, torque is also constant.

Sine Power is also Torque times the angular velocity, which again increases linear with speed, a linear increase in power over speed means constant torque.

I haven’t measured the 0-60, but stomping/kicking the pedal seems to push me back in the seat noticeably more.

Because your initial acceleration is higher, so the change in force is higher. It's a subway starting to move, your body isn't prepared to counter the force, so it throws you back.

You body deals with 1g every single day, but since gravity doesn't change, you don't notice it. Add in a sudden 0.4g and you won't be able to contract your core and neck muscles quickly enough. Build that force more slowly and your body will react with a counter force.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Because your initial acceleration is higher, so the change in force is higher. It's a subway starting to move, your body isn't prepared to counter the force, so it throws you back.

You body deals with 1g every single day, but since gravity doesn't change, you don't notice it. Add in a sudden 0.4g and you won't be able to contract your core and neck muscles quickly enough. Build that force more slowly and your body will react with a counter force.

Right I understand this, however I’m simply pointing out that literally kicking the pedal hard provides a much bigger punch compared to quickly pushing the pedal to the floor. Maybe this was part of that update people are reporting changed the acceleration characteristics.

Last edited:
Can you better define the difference between ‘kicking’ and ‘pushing quickly’ ?
The first one is:
upload_2018-7-4_19-9-28.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: jamnmon66
So no jamming the pedal into the floor... Just quicker to go from 0 to fully pressed in?

Either method had the same amount of pedal travel, right? (All the way to fully pressed in), you are just saying quick vs very quick on the press down...?

I have a strong hunch this is all wrong due to the subjective nature of the highly calibrated instrument known as the "Butt Dyno"!
I'm not discounting the experience of any of the Model 3 owners, but I was having similar thoughts when reading this thread.

When I got the P85 in 2012, it felt "borderline unsafe" quick. In 2015, I upgraded to P85D which later upgraded to get Ludicrous; it too felt "borderline unsafe" quick for a bit. I now have a P100D which felt "borderline unsafe" again, for a bit. Now, when I offer rides to show people Ludicrous in the P100D I don't feel nearly the same rush.

In short, driver acclimation is definitely a thing.

There is a linear acceleration of power or constant torque for the first several seconds at full throttle. I just assumed that at 90% throttle you’d be at 90% of max torque. Also that at a gradual linear push to 100% throttle you’d have a gradual increase in power and the corresponding curve of torque increase. It would be interesting for someone with CANBus gear to test as CANBus tracks percentage of petal press at 100 Hz.

For what it's worth. We have a local event coming up near me at a tuner where we will be testing all different Tesla's on an unlinked AWD dyno. We have already done a test with a 75D Model S and we got nice readings on both HP and Tq. There should be a couple of Model 3's at the event including mine. We should get a lot of data on how and when the car puts out power. If anyone in the North East is interested here is a link to the event Supercharged Sunday.

There is a linear acceleration of power or constant torque for the first several seconds at full throttle. I just assumed that at 90% throttle you’d be at 90% of max torque. Also that at a gradual linear push to 100% throttle you’d have a gradual increase in power and the corresponding curve of torque increase. It would be interesting for someone with CANBus gear to test as CANBus tracks percentage of petal press at 100 Hz.

No throttle map in the world does 90% output for 90% input. Most new gasoline cars are approaching binary response. Source: have flattened throttle maps on Denso ECU's.

Troubling seeing reports like these:
Did Tesla just slow down our cars? | Tesla

Can anyone confirm?

I know the BMW i3 was slowed down with a software updates because too much torque was breaking engine mount bolts.

Why would tesla do it, and is it even legal? That would be like the cook at Pizza Hut coming into your house and taking the pepperoni's back. Didn't apple just get sued over something like this?