Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reports of slower accelleration after latest update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I literally came to the forum just to see if there was any word on this since I felt a very significant change in the way my car feels. And here is this thread... Everything below 45mph is significantly softer. You could feel torque ramping to full at 35mph before and now it doesn’t accelerate as hard until 45mph now. (I spent my life racing 2-stroke motorcycles and switching pipes and tuning for different torque and power characteristics so I understand very well what I am feeling). I went out this weekend and did some run around work, since it appears Tesla closed the backdoor for the PowerTools app (conveniently now...)???

Anyways, there are three intersections that I hit daily at 80%soc just a couple miles after leaving my house. No matter the tempterature or SOC in the past every acceleration has been from the stop line on my side of the intersection to the crosswalk line on the far side. I always always ALWAYS hit 44mph or more by my “finish line” before the change. Usually 45. Until the update that is. It is now at or around 38mph with a best of 39. I even went to the supercharger here and topped up to see if it was a battery power thing and the results were identical. 38mph at the line.

Honestly, 0-15 mph I cannot perceive a change. It always had some torque management softening that. But from 15-45 the car had so much acceleration before. And from 35-45 it was a full power snappy little beast. You could feel the power ramp up and “hit” by 35 and now everything feels fluffy for throttle response.

If it was just softening the throttle response I wouldn’t be so pissed off, but to kill the torque curve like this totally changes the way the car behaves and feels. It used to be absolutely magic, the perfect car on my favorite backroad with a lot of corner exits around 30-35mph when you put the pedal down. now It’s a bit slow for a second and there is no balancing act with tire traction. You can just put the pedal to the floor. Some of the magic is gone and I don’t think that is right

So..... Are we to believe that the newest update castrated the "get up and go"?

As I have seen may speed track videos boasting the quarter mile, I'm surprised that no one has gone back to the track to verify....

I would be very disappointed to find out that Tesla in fact soften up the M3...

Reactions: slipnslider
My butt-dyno feels things are slower, but I've written it off as just getting used to it. We really need data. Particularly with older versions (and all versions) to track performance as we get updates just for this reason. How about a simple 0-60 time & 1/4 mile? Maybe Brooks from dragtimes would be willing to do 0-60 & 1/4 mile tests on VBOX occasionally to track the builds? Anyone have his ear?

PS- I find the threads in the sub-categories get FAR less traffic than main threads, maybe that's why this thread has been so slow?

Last edited:
Reactions: chinnam3
Didn't apple deny they were slowing down people's phone until they finally admitted they were?
More like people kept accusing them of slowing them down, until one day they implemented a fix to keep the power draw low enough to stop phones with weak batteries from spontaneously shutting down, then everybody had the "proof" they needed to justify their claims for the last 10 years.

if your car feels slower, make sure it hasn't been switched to chill mode (I saw at least one person comment that they did check that). I went to show someone for the first time how the M3 accelerated and it didn't feel up to snuff. In my case chill mode was active and I turned it off.

...Honestly, 0-15 mph I cannot perceive a change. It always had some torque management softening that. But from 15-45 the car had so much acceleration before. And from 35-45 it was a full power snappy little beast. You could feel the power ramp up and “hit” by 35 and now everything feels fluffy for throttle response...

The car had constant initial torque before. See the data here. Maybe not for your car, but certainly for the three we measured.

it’s not that much slower. Difference to chill mode is huge.

And even 0-60 times might not have changed much. The performance reduction is below 45mph. Where you’ll notice the difference is in cut and thrust daily driving, low speed passing, exiting a corner at 20 or 30mph and hammering it... I’m telling you, it used to RIP, totally lunge forward exiting a corner and jabbing the pedal at 30 or 35 and THAT is what changed. 1/4 mile time isn’t going to change a whole lot. 45-60 mph is very strong so even 0-60 might not look way different. But this drives like a different car now. My favorite road isn’t very fun anymore

The car had constant initial torque before.here.

That chart shows KW rating *NOT* being “constant” but building in a linear fashion to peak around 45-50mph, does it not? Acceleration and speed are smooth, but not “constant”.

So it does show some torque management, which is expected. The car would just sit there melting tires if you hit it with 100% right from the start. The difference is that it peaks around 45 and stays around that peak from there on out. Mine used I do that by 35mph and it was fast as hell at low speeds because of it.

Mine is a sub 2k VIN, early build, and it has stayed relatively constant until recently. There may have been alterations along the way that I didn’t notice as much but at some point it’s changed enough to notice it big time, and others feeling it recently tells me we all could have had a new torque map downloaded in a recent update...

The car had constant initial torque before. See the data here. Maybe not for your car, but certainly for the three we measured.

I think having it cross a particular intersection in a very consistent way, always reaching about 45 at the other side, and now only reaching 38-39mph should be considered a real-world measurement and is exactly in the speeds I noticed the change. I don’t think you’ll get a better bit of info out of a 0-60 run when my 0-45 run was nerfed. If 45-60 is still just as strong, the difference to 60 shouldn’t seem as big as the difference at the speeds it is actually neutered at...??????????

Reactions: davidc18
If this is true then I guess it’s a good thing.

Anything that would increase the reliability and less repair work till 150k miles is a good thing.
I’m sorry, no. If you bought a Mustang or Camaro and took it in for service, and while it was there, they secretly swapped your cam to a milder profile, detuned the ecu map, and slowed your car, and you noticed it when you got it back you would not be happy. Or at least I wouldn’t. It’s not ethical to reduce the performance of a product that the customer already bought. Changing specs and parts and rev going forward, sure. They change seats and headliners and updates in new cars as they go. But don’t reach into my car and detune it after the fact. That’s just wrong

I’m sorry, no. If you bought a Mustang or Camaro and took it in for service, and while it was there, they secretly swapped your cam to a milder profile, detuned the ecu map, and slowed your car, and you noticed it when you got it back you would not be happy. Or at least I wouldn’t. It’s not ethical to reduce the performance of a product that the customer already bought. Changing specs and parts and rev going forward, sure. They change seats and headliners and updates in new cars as they go. But don’t reach into my car and detune it after the fact. That’s just wrong

Show us your data.

That chart shows KW rating *NOT* being “constant” but building in a linear fashion to peak around 45-50mph, does it not? Acceleration and speed are smooth, but not “constant”...
When the acceleration of power is constant, the torque is constant. In this case 70 kW/s (the linear power line to 40 mph) with that mass is 475Nm. It is just physics. It could have changed recently, since these samples were taken. And your car could be different. But those cars during those samples do not follow the description of how you "felt".