Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request from new MYP owner - Please Review the updated LED Matrix headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up MYP on Friday 3/12 with new headlights. First Tesla. They seem very bright. I don't think the software is right. First night I had it I was following a Ford Fusion on a couple two-lane roads at a distance back, and after he turned off he came back after me with his high beams on in my rearview mirror. Clearly pissed. Yes, my headlights were on low beam.
I have a MYP with new headlights.
Followed a friend home after road tripping to pick up a car, and they said it looked like one headlight was pointed up and blinding them. They also thought it was bobbing a lot.
I need to take some time and try to realign them and hope that works. But, just looking at the beam on my garage door, they look pretty even to me...
here’s a pic they sent me

Attachments

• 4BC79A7A-207D-4711-A552-49A9E704457A.jpeg
    4BC79A7A-207D-4711-A552-49A9E704457A.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 161
Yeah I’m over it now. Based on the model 3 it seems you can retrofit the new headlights eventually just needs to be done by Tesla with software.
Also, the old lights are really good, better than my current cars and I thought those were amazing

I wanted to wait till April but it seems like you won’t get the car till June in most cases

Reactions: ratsbew
I'm not even sure the new design lights are coming to the non-Performance models. Even the March built LR's are still with prior design lights. We all assume from watching the Model 3 rollout that they are coming to every Model Y, but I'm not sure that's Tesla's product strategy here. Maybe.

Congrats on your first Tesla!

Any chance you can snap a pic of your headlights against a wall a night. Both on high and low beams?

Thanks.

I have a MYP with new headlights.
Followed a friend home after road tripping to pick up a car, and they said it looked like one headlight was pointed up and blinding them. They also thought it was bobbing a lot.
I need to take some time and try to realign them and hope that works. But, just looking at the beam on my garage door, they look pretty even to me...
here’s a pic they sent me

I'm also seeing that they look level left to right. One is not higher than the other. They both look high to me. However after the 2021.4.12 update they seem less so. I don't really have a good place at home to shine them on a wall, but I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to do that if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I'm not even sure the new design lights are coming to the non-Performance models. Even the March built LR's are still with prior design lights. We all assume from watching the Model 3 rollout that they are coming to every Model Y, but I'm not sure that's Tesla's product strategy here. Maybe.
The order page when I placed my order showed the updated lights.

Reactions: dn325ci
With how good (poorly) auto headlights work on the car right now, I wonder how well these will work. This is especially true if Tesla tries to do some high end 100% computer vision compared to a specific custom sensor... do we have wipers that work as good as a $20k Honda yet?

I don't mind my auto headlights not using the brights enough, but what I hate is how flickering they are. Car coming towards me and it's high beams soooo long, then finally low beams, then flash to the high again real fast, then nope it's now close enough low beams. Another car is maybe 500 feet behind it and the Tesla will switch back to high beams because the first car passes but just for a split second before they go back to low beams for the second car.

Maybe I'm not actually blinding anyone, but holy cow it must look like some drunk idiot or child is just playing with the high beam switch, or trying to signal that they're being held hostage 😝
I live around a lot of dark, hilly, and windy 2 lane roads so I can totally see this is going to be me. Every auto high beam car I've had has been perfect and works consistently and makes sense. It does seem like a frustrating situation with the sensors. Wish I could pay the extra $20-30 to just get the Bosch (or whoever) rain/light sensors.

I'm also seeing that they look level left to right. One is not higher than the other. They both look high to me. However after the 2021.4.12 update they seem less so. I don't really have a good place at home to shine them on a wall, but I'll keep an eye out for an opportunity to do that if someone doesn't beat me to it.
I played around a bit more and there is a left and right adjustment too, but it’s hardly noticeable, at least the way I have it set right now. I need to find a proper model y headlight aiming guide and just mark it all up and set it properly.
I am wondering if the part that seems to glare into people’s mirrors is that little notch, and if it needs to be adjusted horizontally some way.

Reactions: dn325ci
The US laws for automotive lighting suck... my last car had a bunch of features (golf R) that couldnt be used in the US because of our stupid laws... advanced lighting has gotten really good and we should be at the front... also our stupid preoccupation with mirrors that just create drag.

My wifes 2014 highlander has the worst automotive lighting I have ever seen, and I have upgraded to LED bulbs and the low beams just suck...

Yeah I’m over it now. Based on the model 3 it seems you can retrofit the new headlights eventually just needs to be done by Tesla with software.
Also, the old lights are really good, better than my current cars and I thought those were amazing

I wanted to wait till April but it seems like you won’t get the car till June in most cases

FYI, I tried to upgrade to the "Global" headlights (internally that's what they are referred to in the part numbers) on my 2018 P3D when the car was in for service for repainting (bad rock chips . . . long story).

The body shop got the lights, installed them, and they would not work. Took the car to the local Tesla service center, and they said the lights are "not compatible" with older cars. No one could tell me if a software upgrade would fix this in the future or not.

Just a heads up for those wanting to retrofit the new MicroLED (Global) headlights into their existing cars. First go at it . . . failed.