TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reserving Your Model 3 Blog: More info, more questions answered

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ModelNforNerd, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

• Like x 1
  2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

OMG OMG OMG! etc.

3. ModelNforNerd

So, as many have been saying, if you are a current owner on the West Coast, who goes in to the store to reserve, and checks all the boxes, you're getting your Model 3 first.

4. brian kennedy

brian kennedy New Member

So does that mean if i pre-order instore on the 31st, and someone on the west coast orders online later that night they'll get theirs before me? Or how is that queue'd up. Gonna be a long wait over here in PA!

5. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

I don't like the tone you used here. Who do you think you are telling people to discuss?

</sarcasm>

So no mention of the tax credit whatsoever, which I would say is a bigger reason why people complained about existing owners getting priority. I would have hoped they at least mentioned the tax credit, even if there is currently no specifically known answer on how and when the tax credit will be affected. Also, starting on the west coast and moving east seems... vague. Does that mean that they will fulfill orders and deliveries of <I>all</I> reservations in the initial queue from the west coast before moving east (i.e. would reservation 500 on the East Coast be bypassed by reservation 1500 on the West for delivery)? How much of a head start does the rest of the country get before East coast deliveries? How was this handled with the S and X?

Note, I'm NOT complaining, just stating questions for discussion after reading that announcement. More information is always a good thing!

6. ichorus

ichorus Member

Adds a bit more confusion for me. Tesla Edinburgh (UK) have said 6pm 31st March. But this says when your local store opens.
    Might phone the day before to double check with the store.

7. ModelNforNerd

I think they intentionally left out the Tax Credit info here. Even to the untrained eye, it would be pretty easy to read that blog post and see that the tax credit is likely slanted towards current owners.

We've flogged that equine beast in other threads. I'm over it.

I'll have my "well-equipped" Model 3, and I'll be happy.

8. tga

tga Active Member

• Like x 1
  9. EMdoc12

EMdoc12 Member

I'm fine with this. They're basically just telling everyone up front that the reservation is not an absolute spot in line. Too many people whine and moan that they were skipped. Everyone already knew that they were gonna batch orders by likeness, options, colors and regions anyways.

• Informative x 1
  10. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Actual production roll out will probably be somewhat sloppy, depend on a number of factors, and ultimately only roughly follow the pattern they describe in that blog post. Which is probably why they didn't go into any more detail than they did. Basically, it's still a gamble, and Tesla is just telling you how the deck is stacked.

• Like x 1
  11. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

This is great news. I've been debating paying $1,000 to get a seat at the table knowing that I don't want delivery for a couple of years. Timing was my big issue, didn't want to get a config request until the time was right.

• Like x 1
  12. hoang51

hoang51 Member

At least we get more clarity from Tesla Motors now rather than keep on speculating up until the reveal. But this doesn't surprise me to try and prioritize. Still going to make an effort to get in line though.

13. ModelNforNerd

The further back in line I get pushed means I'll more than likely be able to buy the car in cash when it's ready. I have enough right now to get the base model, I'm just saving for options. But that's not counting trade-in. Realistically, I could probably max it out and pay for it right now......

but letting taht money earn some interest until my car is delivered is OK, too.

14. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Late 2017, well that is going take long to get in Quebec. I wonder if competition will catch-up before Tesla does.

15. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

Yeah, I meant to say in my post that the tax credit was probably not mentioned intentionally. I wouldn't say its slanted towards current owners moreso that Tesla simply isn't factoring in the tax credit for their rollout decisions. It won't affect my decision on whether to reserve on the first day. While I most likely won't get a "fully optioned" Model 3 (some options I simply have no desire for, plus I'm also saving up to buy a bigger house), I still plan on getting the Model 3 that I want so I too will be happy regardless. Here's to hoping that they can ramp up production enough so that everyone that reserves gets to take advantage of at least some portion of the tax credit.

As far as delivery beginning on the West coast, again I'm not too concerned. The longer it takes to start delivering to the East coast, then the more I will have saved for the car. Depending on how options are priced, that could mean tacking on one of the "nice to have" options. I just hope that your estimated delivery date is shown to you as you configure your car since I'm an almost OCD-level planner when it comes to finances.

16. ModelNforNerd

I'm on the same page as far as the OCD with finances part. A significant chunk of my savings for the Model 3 is in a CD. It would be nice to know when I need to have that renewable CD term expire, so that I can move that money to checking for the purchase of the car.

17. Muaddid

Muaddid Member

Call me optimist, but I think the ramp-up will be smoother than the Model X and we might see the first one in 3rd quarter of 2018 in Qc

18. SureValla

SureValla Member

anyone else notice on the blog post the following:

"The first, which will allow you to get a better spot in the queue, is to visit your local Tesla store when it opens on March 31st."

Italics and bold added by me

What happened to 10am pacific/1pm Eastern?!?!?!?

19. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

They mean arrive and be in line when it opens. Reservations won't begin until the time you mentioned.

20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Are you sure? What was the original source for that? Given the new post there's no reason to make people on the East coast wait. Even if they make their reservation three hours earlier than somebody in California they'll still get their car later.