Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reserving your Model 3 (official Tesla blog)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been wondering about how things will play out. Lets say I'm the 100th person in line at the mall I'll be reserving my model 3. If and when I'm contacted to build out my car, and my configuration is priced higher than the 100 people in front of me, will it still not take precedence over all their reservations? Or anyone else in my regions reservations. Not sure how that works

Been wondering about how things will play out. Lets say I'm the 100th person in line at the mall I'll be reserving my model 3. If and when I'm contacted to build out my car, and my configuration is priced higher than the 100 people in front of me, will it still not take precedence over all their reservations? Or anyone else in my regions reservations. Not sure how that works

Given tesla's history the absolute last thing you should expect is that the cars are build in strict reservation order. As far as I can tell they batch configurations based on availability of parts, what region you are in and at least historically, premium configurations at launch.

Personally I expect the Model 3 launch to be a bit different as they will be able to get the production line up and running with employee orders first and then, hopefully, get to a higher capacity system for the public.

Just a data point: I've had no comms from TM concerning priority reservations for existing owners. Has anyone?
Most of us got an email as an existing owner thanking us for supporting Tesla and making the Model 3 possible. It went on to state that our reservation for Model 3 would be moved ahead of any non-owners. Beyond that email I'm not expecting any communication.

Hi Steve, I got this email letting me know I was not chosen to go to Hawthorn for the Reveal and this is what it said concerning Tesla Owners getting priority,

"

Thanks for your interest in the Model 3 unveiling.

Unfortunately your name wasn't drawn for a ticket to the unveil. The good news is, you can still join in the experience. We’ll live stream the event onTesla.com beginning at 8.30pm PDT on March 31.

Model 3 reservations will open in Tesla stores on March 31 at 10am PDTand online immediately when the event begins. As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners.

Thank you for your participation.

The Tesla Team"

Model 3 reservations will open in Tesla stores on March 31 at 10am PDTand online immediately when the event begins. As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners.

I got this same email. How is it being interpreted? Does it mean that when we go online to Teslamotors.com and sign in as owners we will get a Model 3 reservation page that only we can see? Or is there some other explanation? I emailed the Tesla employee that sold me my car but he didn't know how it would work regarding giving current owners priority.

I am very confused as to the ordering time. First it said 10am PDT, then they removed that line from the blog post and it just says "visit your local Tesla store when it opens". But people are still saying online that it'll start at 10am PDT (so 11am MST, 12pm CST, 1pm EST). What friggin' time are they going to take reservations? :confused:

I am very confused as to the ordering time. First it said 10am PDT, then they removed that line from the blog post and it just says "visit your local Tesla store when it opens". But people are still saying online that it'll start at 10am PDT (so 11am MST, 12pm CST, 1pm EST). What friggin' time are they going to take reservations? :confused:
The usual opening time at each location. 10 am local time in each time zone.

I wish there'd turned out to be an easter egg app in the Model S, so you could reserve a Model 3 right from the 17" screen, no need to go anywhere or do anything.

Or, if that is too much, an easter egg function in the official mobile Tesla app, so owners can securely place a Model 3 order from their phone. However, the downside is that the media wouldn't get to film any long lines (free advertising) at the stores. So, ok, nevermind :)

Just like with the Model S, confirmed reservation numbers won't equate to exact production order. They bulk the cars up in production at the factory based on options, etc. A big order definer has been paint color as they do those in bulk groups (or have at least in past).

Reactions: Mr. Watts
Got an email from Tesla saying if you are a current owner you login to your Tesla account and can order up to the number of current Teslas you own. So if you have one Tesla in your account, you can only order one with the current owner benefit of jumping ahead of non-owners. If you order two Model 3's and you only have one Roadster, S or X, then I assume the second Model 3 order goes to the back of the queue. I plan to order one Model 3 under my name and one under my wife's name since we have two S's.

So do current owners need to go to the store or not?

I've wondered this myself. If current owners get a priority, then theoretically we could sign up anytime and still get priority over non-owners, but maybe later in the queue. Then again, Tesla will produce or ship them by region, so how much will it matter to wait in line today or wait and order from the comfort of your home.

• Disagree
Reactions: mach.89