Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no, that sucks!! Sorry that happened! I think that’s the same tool I got on Amazon and mine worked luckily. I’m not 100% sure but you might just be able to drill out the entire rivnut and then just insert a new one (with a new tool obviously).
Agreed. A Rivnut is held in place by a very thin top flange. A 1/4’ drill bit (or slightly larger) bump on the top flange and it will just fall out.

• Helpful
Reactions: WattTheHeck
Got it installed today. The holes didn't actually line up perfectly so it took a little finessing to get the bolts in. But I did get it on and aligned to wear it needs to be. I also ended up cutting off the alignment tabs from the the part rather than cutting holes into the car. Works great. Now I just need to convince someone at a service center to give me the software button…

Just a heads up. I also have the Unplugged Performance Dirt & Snow Adjustable Coilovers installed. There are knobs on top of both suspension areas to adjust the firmness of the suspension. With the HEPA retrofit they're still accessible but it's not as easy to adjust them as before. Espeicially the one on the right side under the windshield wiper fluid intake.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 3.04.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 3.04.04 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 120
I did the retrofit on my ‘21 MYLR last year when this thread was starting. Thank you everyone for posting the part numbers. I was not able to convince them to program the car with the BioDefense mode after installing it but today I took in my car to replace the 12V battery and asked before I left if they could program my car to include BioDefense mode. The service manager was really cool and told the service tech who was helping how to write it up on my ticket. It did cost me a whole $10.50 to have them reprogram my car but now I do have BioDefense mode! Pretty stocked that I could install this and have them upgrade the software!

Just submitted an service request for the parts via mobile service and got this reply:

Hello Transparent, to set expectations, this will be for parts pick up only no updated car configurations will be made as there is no Model Y retrofit for the HEPA filter.

Looks like it’ll be an uphill battle to get the BWDM software setting/update. A previous request that included the BWDM item was rejected, and after some back and forth they said I could order parts, so I guess at least there’s that.

It does seem silly they won’t charge like $50 and update the software, unless there’s some legal or liability thing.

Got it installed today. The holes didn't actually line up perfectly so it took a little finessing to get the bolts in. But I did get it on and aligned to wear it needs to be. I also ended up cutting off the alignment tabs from the the part rather than cutting holes into the car. Works great. Now I just need to convince someone at a service center to give me the software button…

Just a heads up. I also have the Unplugged Performance Dirt & Snow Adjustable Coilovers installed. There are knobs on top of both suspension areas to adjust the firmness of the suspension. With the HEPA retrofit they're still accessible but it's not as easy to adjust them as before. Espeicially the one on the right side under the windshield wiper fluid intake.
Where exactly were the tabs you ended up cutting off? I just retrofitted the HEPA filter on a pre-threaded hole 2020 built MY, and didn’t see anything that seemed like it would need to be cut off or needed holes drilled? The filter is a different model number now so I wonder if they’ve changed it.

Please report back! I already did mine but would be cool if they’re officially doing them now. I doubt it’ll be free, though :)

Sure, I will report back. In fact, they changed the date and told me they are missing parts and payment estimate is wrong. I think the reddit poster got lucky. I told them my parts are already installed, I just need the button, they then changed the appointment to next Thursday and changed payment estimate to $153…. I don’t think software configuration should be $153. I will try to talk it down in my appointment.

Reporting back. Today I was waiting in the car and the fan felt extra strong. I went to turn down the Fan and saw the Biohazard button! Yes! Tesla did it remotely and free of charge. There is also a message in my Tesla app from a nice technician explaining that the work has been done and no need for an appointment. If you haven’t got the button, now it is time to message Tesla.

Last edited: